xisto Community
sheepdog

Good Sense Scents?

Those of you who have spent very much time in the company of dogs will recognize that when I tell you dogs have a sort of sixth sense about people you will know what I am talking about. I'm sure many of you have had dogs in the past or present that for some reason or another your dog didn't like certain people. And then later on this person your dog had the good sense to distrust proved to be a bad or evil person in some kind of way. Years ago I had a German Shepherd female that if she ever growled at some guy I was dating, if I had a lick of sense the first time she growled at them that should of been the last time I went out with them. One turned out to be a thief, and later broke into my home, and the others were just your usual run of the mill miscreants, not too bad, but certainly not the kind of guys I really wanted to be around.

So, I am willing to accept for fact that dogs do have this ability. But what I am curious about is how do they know? I suppose there could be any number of clues for them, but since dogs sense of smell is what they have the best going for them, I think it has to be some how related to what they smell on a person. But what on earth could it be? We also know that dogs can sniff out cancer cells, and sense when their owner is going to have an epileptic seizure, or even a blood sugar crash. I'm sure there are definite changes in a persons body chemistry that a dog could smell. But what would tip them off to a bad person? What sort of body chemistry do bad people have that could be smelled?

you had bad luck if there ever was one, one thief and the rest miscreants,

i think you told us you where married now so at least you found Mr Right sheepdog at least after that,

Apparently your husband has the German Shepherd to thank whenever you celebrate your anniversary :-)
Dogs sometimes react to specific scents. It may have been the scent of another dog or a substance like tobacco-ash residue, and maybe even gun powder residue. If the thief or any of the miscreants had a gun, then that would explain it. In that case, the dog would probably even growl at James Bond, considering all of those gadgets that would have gun powder in them to create the force needed to operate them.
There was a television series episode about a villain breeding a dog with the intent of using it for criminal purposes. The dog was trained to seek out a particular scent and attack individuals with that scent, so the villain would spray the victim with that scent and then let the dog loose. The criminal investigation would then reveal that the victim died from being mauled to death by a dog and there would be nothing pointing to any human intervention. However, when something occurs too often, it is human nature to think that the events are somehow connected - like all those natural disasters and the Mayan calendar ending. If anything did end, it was the misconception about the Mayan calendar. The protagonist also gets sprayed with the scent but being the hero and all, manages to fight the dog without even a scratch. A guess when the movie script writers decide to bestow the protagonist with special powers and lots of luck, nothing can stand in their way.

you made me laugh k_nitin_r

with Apparently your husband has the German Shepherd to thank whenever you celebrate your anniversary

i could not helping laughing at it, thank you.

LOL, yes K_nitin_r that was definitely a good one. Sadly,that shepherd was gone years ago. This poor guy had to be checked out by an entire kennel full of dogs, so he really got run threw the wringer. Worked out though, we've been together for 23 years last month.

Nope, not gun powder residue, or they wouldn't like me. :P

Interesting about that TV show, guess I never saw it. Did see the Doberman gang years ago, a Disney flick about a pack of Dobermans that were trained to pull off a bank heist. Pretty good movie. But I could see how a dog could be trained to go after someone with a particular scent. Interesting way to dispose of someone you didn't like. Hopefully it won't become too popular in the crime scene as a way to take people out, we already have enough fervor over dangerous dogs as it is. I sometimes feel sorry for responsible people who have pit bulls. They really get a bad rap. And it's not really the dog, it's the idiot on the other end of the leash that is usually the problem.