xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
whyme

Is Your Website W3c Compliant?

In our world of perfection, nothing comes closer to having perfection in your website than it being w3c valid, meaning that it's verfied by the World Wide Web Consortium that it's 100% HTML and to some extent, all broswer complaint. (cough*internet *cough explorer* :D ). Having this validation means that the site will usaully render the same in all broswers, and will be very easy for people with sight or hearing disablilites to view your website with ease. That said, I was wondering how many people here actaully thier website verified as HTML 4.01 compliant.

veifry your coding here - http://validator.w3.org/

if it's valid, then post your link to your html complaint code.

here's mines http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

No matter how hard I try, my pages are NEVER W3C compliant...I always get errors, and tons of other things. I even one time put in EXACTLY what it wanted, and still got an error. It's irratated me so much, I've given up on even TRYING to get my site W3C compliant. I'm sure most people don't have that problem though.

I put mine through, but somehow it saw html that didn't exist. I mean seriously-how can I get my site to be W3c compliant when It makes up errors in the html? You can run mine through, and then look at the source....Do you see those errors? I'm hoping I'm not blind.

I almost forgot to say this, if your site does not have the following code, w3c can not verify it,

For HTML

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

For XHTML

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;

and, if you've had enough of making sites that just aren't compliant, just get some from open source web design, http://www.oswd.org/, :D

I got more than 30 errors with the validator .i hate to use that w3c tool,it really a boring thing.i tried it with XML only.

I got more than 30 errors with the validator .

i hate to use that w3c tool,it really a boring thing.

i tried it with XML only.

56038[/snapback]

Only 30 :D

I thought i was good getting 38, and my old site design get 99

Im amazed it gives you a non-compliance just for not having alt tags on images :D

Uhm. The validator gets the page just like your browser does. It doesn't make up HTML that isn't there.I don't see what the big problem is, making compliant pages surely isn't that hard?

I used to get a lot, but now all my pages are compliant. You lose a lot of errors if you use CSS. For example, a lot of people still use the font tag, but the use of that became deprecated with HTML 4.01.

I FINALLY managed to get 2 pages on my site to be W3C compliant! My main errors are that I don't have a doctype tag, and charset. Some errors are also that I didn't specify the type with JavaScript or CSS. That helped me get those two compliant.

Uhm. The validator gets the page just like your browser does. It doesn't make up HTML that isn't there.

I don't see what the big problem is, making compliant pages surely isn't that hard?

56210[/snapback]

well, i think that it's usuaslly that fact that if people use frontpage to make a site, they'll get like 900 errors, simply beacsue frontpage customizes to Interent Explorer's abitlity, with the next release of FrontPage and Internet Explorer, I think more sites will be valid HTML

I inherited a WordPress theme because the previous developer on the project was on holiday and I took his place. The markup was terrible and it appeared differently on different browsers. I finally fixed the markup, ran it through the W3C validator to get absolutely zero errors.Now, that doesn't translate to appearing the same on all browsers. The CSS, which also validated perfectly well on the W3C CSS checker, was a complete mess with a couple of negative margins there, positive margins here, a bit of padding, and just about every CSS attribute the developer could've imagined. My approach was to start from the ground-up since CSS is harder to fix than XHTML/HTML. It took me a lot of time, but it was well worth the effort.I'm now working toward changing all of the sidebar items into widgets to enable the administrator to re-order and enable/disable individual sections without having to come back to the development division for code changes.