xisto Community
sheepdog

I Need A Break!

sheepdog,

I seem to have been missing out on all the action in this thread. Reading sounds like you have excellent material to start working on a book, with robbers, arsonists, and trailers.
The fire department is demanding $350 for looking at and certifying a burned down trailer? Oh, okay, you mean the volunteer fire fighters. That's different. The most you can do is file a lawsuit for arson, if you can find any evidence that the trailer was intentionally burned down, but then again they might just turn around and say that the trailer was never meant to be a place for people to stay.
BTW, how are the water supply, sewage, and electricity for the trailer hooked up? Is there anything that you can salvage out of the burned trailer? I would come over to lend you a hand with trying to rebuild the trailer, or turn it into a shed, but hopping over international borders gets complicated - they just don't appreciate hobbyists catching a 14-hour flight to work on something, make a YouTube video out of it, and encourage other folk to do more DIY.

Since the trailer was in a rural setting, it had it's own well and septic system.

The State fire Marshal refused to even come and look at it, said it was a waste of his time since they couldn't prove anything. I did go yesterday to the court house to see if I could get my $77 back since the sheriff never served the eviction notice and I no longer needed the court date to have him thrown out. I think they realized why I was there when I walked in the door, the girl said It burned down didn't it? Guess she saw it in the newspaper. The main person in the office was not in yesterday, so they didn't know if I could get my money back. If I can't get it back, I'm thinking about writing up a nice long speech about how the county and the sheriff and the state and basically the entire government sucks and since I had to pay for it I'll just do that to take up the courts time I had to pay for. With my luck I'll end up in jail for contempt of court.

Sure, love to have you come and help with clean up. Though there really isn't anything salvageable. It's mostly going to be a matter of loading up the scrap burnt tin siding. It, and the frame can be sold for scrap metal, and that's about it. Far as I know the only thing salvageable is the stone kick wheel from my pottery wheel.

I would not be very useful in cleaning up sheepdog the heaviest thing I will lift is my shopping.

maybe selling lead (off the roof) and the frame for scrap metal, and maybe get a skip hire and you

put whatever is left over in the skip and they should come and get the skip the next day and take it away.

Paying the membership fee is like paying or insurance. It is a minimal fee that would be paid to the volunteer fire department and through a collective effort, they are counting on not having a fire at the premises of every member to prevent their costs from exceeding the fee they accept for membership. If you are not a member, they decide to charge you for every penny's worth of stuff that they use to put out the fire, plus whatever would be the typical hourly rate for every fireman that was involved in putting out the fire. If you consider the hourly cost of a fireman to be roughly sixty dollars and if there were five of them putting out the fire for an hour, then they ought to make three hundred dollars. Now, add the administrative costs of having a person manning the phones and the utility costs and rent for the despatch center and that is probably an additional fifty dollars.
The Red Cross is an organization that does not make any discrimination between individuals and they offer to help anybody, good or evil, in their times of need and that is what makes the Red Cross so much better - they believe in giving and perhaps some day, the people who have lived their lives backstabbing, stealing, or seeking revenge would have their hearts turn when they see the goodness that is the Red Cross, their neighbourhood church, and the innocent children who put smiles on their faces.

You have a lot higher opinion of the Red Cross than I do. I understand that they really can't discriminate between the truly needy and the truly evil con artists, but they have pulled numerous stunts over the years that they should be ashamed of. Charging our veterans for postage stamps, selling cups of coffee to volunteers at disaster sites when those same volunteers are working for free too, getting free blood and then selling it to hospitals, over paying top executives in the organization, they have pulled a lot of unsavory stunts over the years. This is not an organization I would ever donate to.