xisto Community
velma

Revamping Knowledgesutra: All Suggestions Welcome

KNOWLEDGESUTRA / TRAP17 Name  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To get the forum to great heights just follow one simple tactic - Allow the users to transfer MyCents to PayPal and there you go .

I for one disagree with this tactic purely because we would be selling the principle of community and allowing "opportunistic" members to simply post and scoot off..

I mean, think about it.. The forums were created for people to share knowledge amongst themselves, OpaQue decided to reward members with Mycent because someone would take out their time to help a total stranger.. But if you involve money, it increases the chances of people just posting for the heck of it, pretty selfish and not really helpful to a community :(

Xisto was always about members coming to a place where they could share their opinions and help others.. Let's keep it the same, shall we? :)

However, OpaQue is currently scheming other ways for members to earn cold cash ;) He has two ideas actually, one is based on a referral program with his twist of course.. The other lets members earn MyCents through reviews...

So, members can earn both mycent and real money for their efforts... But, we need to wait a weee bit longer.. OpaQue is still smoothing out the kinks.

We are creating Microsites to basically Compete with this NEW BLOG outburst on Google. Sadly, I must do SEO and Yes, It is of more priority because my Hosting business mainly depends on the the Marketing offered by my Community. I feel sad wasting time on SEO myself and even bringing the topic out. But We can always use every moment as an opportunity to improve .. and hence, here we are discussing this new Microsites Concept.

I can create Microsites from Categories / Forums OR the best part is - Simply from "Keywords". Say, All Topics related to Google Books will be a microsite called "Googlade.com". So, This is possible - but I felt, It will lack the human touch as the entire MicroSite will be 100% Auto-Generated by Searching for those keywords in Forums. Topic Forums will be meaningless as some topics may be fetched from really irrelevant forums.

Unless We decide to have a Unique Theme for each Microsite, I can make the same script work for all the microsites. So Basically it will be 1 Program on Server that creates Multiple Sites. No Waste of time... as such.

@ Mr. OpaQue - To get the forum to great heights just follow one simple tactic - Allow the users to transfer MyCents to PayPal and there you go .. Xisto/ Xisto/ Talksense .. whatever may be the name .. the forum is gonna be flooded with active members !

Hahaha... Right, thanks.. I wish... That's why I want to focus on SEO :)

As for the Lo-Fi version that will become mini-sites... Hope you won't be mad on me OpaQue for this - I do appreciate the effort (both in time and money) you put into this (I am also an open-source developer and I know some of the sacrifices), but I can't really understand why there is such a feature. I am sure it is hard to maintain for you, and more so with the mini-sites and I think your time is too precious to spend on such complicated feature that is only going to be seen by new (unregistered) users. I know you want to use it to attract new users, but I think there are other ways to do that...

I understand... I will do my best to have it as automated as possible - to save time. If Each Microsite is using Same Structure template, then there will not be much work.

Yeah, I'm one of the old members who loved the old name! However, the past is the past and I am going to try to help the site move forward! Anyway... I think TalkSense is a GREAT name! It sounds pretty catchy and it kind of goes with our MyCENT system we have (Cent and Sense... kind of similar i suppose.) So.. twist of the tongue as you might want to call it.
Anyway, the BIGGEST problem I have with the forum is there are too many "forums" on the main page. It just looks so disorganized having to swift through so many forums -- many of whom don't really have many active topics or posts to them. So, I think with the new transition, we really need to make sure we can minimize as many of the inactive forums we can and try to merge together as many as we possibly could.

We also need to streamline links on the header so members get a CLEAR understanding of what the site is about. Because as it stands... it's so confusing to understand what entirely the site has to offer to us (with the free hosting) and then the various topics we can discuss.

Yes, Forums are messed up.. there are just tooo many. We will organize the forums once we decide how the microsites will be made. Either we Do by Manual Forums split into microsite OR create microsites using keywords. There is no rush. Unlike before, Now I got nothing to lose.

there is one more name I would like to Suggest : fearlessnation.netI was thinking this name for microsite where the posts willeither :-1 - not reveal identity of the poster2 - reveal full identity of poster where a social networking integration would be compulsary.

Like now, this is what I have decided... I need your opinions.

Create Single-Login for Xisto and TalkSense (Xisto / Xisto).

Xisto - Purely Free Hosting oriented forum where all Forums and Categories will be related to Designing, Developing and Hosting Websites. More sort of a Forum for Web Designers. This site will also have an internal bridge to Xisto - Support.com Billing Area to help Members manage MyCENTS right from Xisto.com itself. All concepts of myCENTS and practically every information about mycents and free hosting will be here.

TalkSense - Everything apart from Web Design & Hosting is discussed here. This Site will simply offer mycents in backend without talking much about it. One must Login to Xisto to Manage MyCENTS. (remember... same login for both sites?)

I will move topics from asta to ks accordingly - Since sorting the content has been an issue from long back.

The Microsites concept will be used only for offering fast searching and latest Activity in their respective categories. The Microsites will only display the first post of every topic and forward the user to the main version of the forum.

as long as the community can still be reached at Xisto dot com /forums

I am not really fussed what it is called as long as its still the same great people and discussion it does not matter what it is called, keep up the great work. by the way great idea getting community members advice keeps the community engaged and involved.

Like now, this is what I have decided... I need your opinions.

Create Single-Login for Xisto and TalkSense (Xisto / Xisto).

Xisto - Purely Free Hosting oriented forum where all Forums and Categories will be related to Designing, Developing and Hosting Websites. More sort of a Forum for Web Designers. This site will also have an internal bridge to Xisto - Support.com Billing Area to help Members manage MyCENTS right from Xisto.com itself. All concepts of myCENTS and practically every information about mycents and free hosting will be here.

TalkSense - Everything apart from Web Design & Hosting is discussed here. This Site will simply offer mycents in backend without talking much about it. One must Login to Xisto to Manage MyCENTS. (remember... same login for both sites?)

I will move topics from asta to ks accordingly - Since sorting the content has been an issue from long back.

The Microsites concept will be used only for offering fast searching and latest Activity in their respective categories. The Microsites will only display the first post of every topic and forward the user to the main version of the forum.

I think I like this idea, although it'd be nice if we could get a mockup or something to show what you mean with the last part (microsites). Using one site for the web host related stuff and the other for all other topics sounds like an awesome plan though. As it is, everything is kind of jumbled together.

The Microsite is like a Home page made mainly out of the topics running currently in a set of forums.. Enriched with Feeds and News .. or even some games and quiz. Basically.. I want the microsite to be more like a New Sites (like a hub for a lot of information on a particular topic) and also an easy option to "Initiate a Discussion" of any news.

I do not have any working version of this idea to show you yet...