xisto Community
serverph

Do You Still Yahoo? happy 10th birthday, yahoo :D

I used to use Yahoo! a lot ten years ago. Even though I turned to AltaVista as a better search engine at that time, Yahoo was a handy service for me when I needed a list of websites.However, ever since I started using Google and their services, I used Yahoo less and less. Still have an e-mail account with them, though....and I used Yahoo Groups a bit as well.

hmm happy birthday!I don't usually yahoo.....But I used yahoo online photo album.To be honest, it's not the best because I can only put small photos (i.e. small resolution) in, if I wanna make it public....But I'm quite happy with it otherwise. That's why I'm still stuck there. :(

Oh, my, this topic is too old! Two years! :P I love Yahoo!, I started using USA.NET services until 1998, when the service become paid. Then I jump to hotmail, great service, but after some months I get full of spam, hundred ever day. So I search for other webmail services, and found Yahoo!Yahoo! is improving their services very fast, and is getting better every day. I jumped to GMail a year ago, but I don't like the service, was very... plain. Well, what I supposed to have, if the web search engine is the simplier of the world?So I return to the beloved Yahoo!, and now I'm very happy with the service.So, maybe late, but; happy bday Yahoo!

I went from Altavista to Excite to Redesearch to Google as a search Engine. But Yahoo, I normally just use their photo albums, but at some point tried their mail service ages ago. It was up to par with Hotmail in regard to spam protection. I hadnt tried Yahoo's mail service since (I'm pretty happy with Gmail) but only heard reasonably good things about it. Happy Belated Birthday Yahoo!

Yes, I still Yahoo! I Google often, but IMHO Google has sold out to big Corporations. By that I mean that their search results are top heavy with big business, even though those listings are completely irrelevant to my search query! Sure, Yahoo and Live search are also sellouts, but I liked Google for having more relevant results. In fact, type in 'web designer' in Google and Microsoft is in the top ten! Why? Check out the MS page code and you won't find the term 'web designer' anywhere on the page! Google's on the take! Just my 2 cents on that. As for maps, Live search now has killer satellite images! Perhaps the best of Google and Yahoo!On Yahoo! Answers I'm a top contributor, so I still hang there for that reason, and I read the news etc. on their homepage.

It's amazing I still remember most of my yahoo usernames. HAHA. Naw, I don't really use yahoo anymore. Actually, I never really did :/ My friends never used it.

The biggest disadvantage of Yahoo! is its cluttered home page
A big turn - away

Years back, when Yahoo! was just a toddler, there was this article in some computer magazine (I don't remember the name)
It read - 'the biggest advantage of Yahoo! is its uncluttered interface'

and then they started providing mail, groups, news etc. etc.

Check out how they looked then here http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Later, Google came

Google beat Yahoo! at all of it's games
Of course, not Yahoo! Answers though

Did you know that Yahoo! was instrumental in the founding of Google?

All things said, Yahoo! is still the pioneer of these technologies
Yahoo! popularized search, mail and more
It brought the net to our fingertips

and now companies are trying to buy Yahoo!

Ya... Agreed.BUt Yahoo cannot be easily avoided with the big presence it has and the span of services it has...Guess what the biggest dis-advantage is?They come up with all the best things online... but they tend to lose control and provide continous upgrades and features and in the long run the product is lost.. Yahoo Photos (they were the firstto come up with this... but they did not add features), Briefcase (one of the best in online storage... but its still the same as was released in the beginning), Mail are few examples...Ok.. Now its in a bad state.. with all the fuzz happening around it. Lets see... I personally do not want the Internet Giant vanish so badly. :D