xisto Community

While surfing about Search Engine Optimization, I have come across a term which is SMO. But, I was not able to understand what exactly it is for. Could anyone help me out to understand this term.What exactly it is used for and how we can use it.

You are probably looking for the term SEO. SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and involves building your site in a manner that a search engine can easily index it and determine the context of the content of your page. For example, if you have a heading on your web site, the search engine knows that the page is about the term that you have included within the HTML heading tags. Similarly, if you have applied any kind of emphasis or different formatting to a particular word, that word probably has a greater significance to determining the context of your content. Search engine optimization goes beyond looking at content within a page and also look at the bigger picture - what kind of websites link to you and what do you link to. A lot of factors go into having a search engine determine the context of your page and returning the relevant search results.

No, Nitin I am quite sure it is SMO. But, it is somewhat similar to SEO with which I am not much but little bit familiar with.

Yes it is SMO , a new era in SEO has just began when facebook invented, now we have SEO which is search engine optimization and SMO which is social media optimization. now as you may know there is a good article describing what is SMO on wikipedia, you can read it and it gives you lots of information about what SMO is, so here i will explain what is the difference between SMO and SEO .In SEO the goal is to get higher rank in search engines meaning that you want to see your article in the first page of google search when someone searches anything related to your article or even you try to bring your article to the first place in search results to get lots of visitors and of course having lots of visitors means you can earn more money , now keep this word in mind : "more visitors !" you will easily understand that nowadays google search is not enough for you to get enough visitors you need also to keep yourself active in social networks too, because people will only search what they need in google search but they spend lots of time in facebook and twitter just going around to friends page and other pages to see what is going on there, so you can use this opportunity to make then interested in visiting your website or buying you product (when i say buying your product it is more Social Marketing rather than Social media optimization). so everything you do for SEO will not affect your SMO and you have to use other strategies to get visitors from social media networks too, i know many websites that get more visitors from facebook than google and they really know what they are doing.Now we know what is the difference between SEO and SMO but we need also to know what to do for getting started with SMO, first of all there is one important thing, SMOing a website is a lot harder than SEOing it ! because when you want to optimize your website for google you just need to know what is the policy of google then you can act according to it and get higher ranks. but in SMO you have to face people whom use facebook, and this means if you want to create something that gonna be shared by people then you really need to know what people like and what makes them to share something. for doing this you need to first know what people like most and then you need to find the group that are interested in things you have in your website. so for starting with SMO first you need a page for your company/website then you need to find what makes people see that page more and then gather those information in your page, by doing this you can get more visitors in facebook and thus more visitors in your website. there are many thechniques for doing such things and many companies are now working on SMO and do SMO stuffs for companies and etc.And in the end i should say SMO is newer than SEO and i recommend every one that wants to start making money by SEO to switch to SMO because i think SMO is getting lots of attention each year and maybe two or three years later we can completely replace SEO with SMO, and i'm not kidding, i've seen people that search what they want in facebook first instead of google and if this goes on and every website or company makes a page in facebook soon google will be the second source of searching !There is also another word "SMM" which is social media marketing , it is a little different but i think SMO started from that but i'm not sure, also there is quite interesting article about SMO and tools for starting here which i recommend you to read it : http://www.toprankblog.com/2011/03/integrated-seo-social-media/

Agyat,Are you referring to Social Media Optimization? It's usually called Social Media Marketing and is abbreviated to SMM. Organizations spend quite a bit on getting the word out through social media. And it works too. A lot of independent jewellery and clothing designers are getting their work sold through FaceBook alone. They usually create one-of-a-kind work that gets sold through FaceBook, as opposed to the commercial fashion designers who create a design and there are hundreds, if not thousands, of copies of the work floating around in stores worldwide. I wouldn't be surprised if the thousands turned into millions for something that is more popular like, perhaps a pair of sneakers.Social media marketing takes a lot more effort and organizations spend much much more on things such as creating viral videos, copywriting, and ensuring that customer support is on every case that they hear of through their social media channels.