xisto Community
sheepdog

Transfer Favorites To Flash Drive

Ok, any of you smart, computer savy folks know how I can put my entire favorites list on a flash drive? I just bought one so I could put all the files I use frequently on it so when/if I go on vacation I can still manage sales. I can figure out how to get my work documents and notepads on it, but not the entire favorites list unless I copy each url onto a notepad or something and that would take forever. I know it can be done, cause I did it years ago and put them on a floppy disk, which nobody uses anymore, see how ancient I am, lol. I have a little bitty one (and I do mean little, it will be a miricle if I don't loose the tiny dang thing) drive that holds 16 GB. I have no idea how much that actually is.

If you are using Firefox Browser, from the top left drop-down menu, select the choice of Bookmarks > Show all Bookmarks.Once you have down tis, there will be a small window where you need to select Import and Backup.I would use the HTML version and save the file onto your Flash Drive.Most modern Browser will have a similar option available, but I use Firefox most of the time and do not know exactly how the other Browsers operate exactly. Perhaps if you need more information, tell us which Browser you are using.<edit>Just opened Opera, and they have a similar selection list to export to html as well.</edit>

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

If you loose or break your computer you'll loose all your bookmarks. If your bookmarks are really important for your business you should consider an online bookmarking service. These services are private and accessible only to you with a password from wherever computer you use, with many amazing tools.
I didn't try all of them, but most populars are:

delicious.com supported by Yahoo

diigo.com with free and paid plans, depending on your needs

instapaper.com Nice and simple

mister-wong.com European leader, with bookmarks represented by a thumbnails of the webpages

simpy.com with highlights and notes tools

furl.net a powerful tool that archives an html version of the pages you bookmark

google.com/bookmarks linked to your google account

The most important is to make sure that the import/export of bookmarks in a html format are available and work properly. This way you can update this services directly with the bookmarks stored in your browser (The way Jhaslip said), and vice-versa to avoid possible disasters.

It's a strong and easy way to manage your bookmarks. I wish you a lot of fun.

Edited by cityzen (see edit history)

If you're using Chrome (you didn't state your browser) go to the options menu in the top right corner, then "Bookmark Manager" and then click on "Organize" and choose "Export bookmarks to HTML file..." You can also import the same way (by choosing import instead of export). And since it's in HTML format it should be importable into IE, FireFox, etc. without any problems.

I'm using internet explorer, not sure these days which version, which ever one is probably outdated by now, and XP. I'm glad I finally found this post again, I forgot where I had posted it and just now found it today. Amazing I found anything today with the new formatting of Xisto.

Well, learn something every day! I didn't know there even was anything like this in existance! I'm going to copy some of those address and check them out. Maybe set up an account with one of them in case I loose this tiny little flash drive. Yes, my bookmarks are important and I would be in a mess without them, and could waste hours and hours of time getting them all back again. Thanks so much for another idea that I can really use! I still want them on the flash drive though.

I just want to add that Delicious.com is not owned by Yahoo! any more. It was in the past... I used Delicious.com a lot back in the day and remember Yahoo took over. Then, somebody bought it off Yahoo because Yahoo could not monetize it. ReddIt is pretty much the social bookmarking leader and they made it to their massive size because it's easy for people to create throwaway user accounts by simply choosing a username and password, limiting the number of posts greatly, and having a voting system in place to determine what goes on to the front page. It is easy for a firm to use a few hundred ReddIt accounts to put something onto the front page and that has been used to criticize ReddIt, but it still has managed to keep its lead over other social bookmarking sites.