xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ritu

The Importance Of Website In The 21St Century

Hello friends,

Very often these days I happen to come across people with websites which speak about their business and that could be anything, right from selling fast food to getting people married. This makes me wonder about why do they need to deviate from the conventional methods of business to create a website. After a bit of study and observation, I could come to the conclusion that a website is indeed a must have in this century.

Here are a few facts that I derived as the causes which give rise to the requirement of a website.

Firstly, probably with a website it becomes easier to handle the information delivery. As there are no fixed hours of working, information regarding the business can be earned whenever anyone manages the time to do so.

Secondly, a website can serve to do the best of marketing at a comparatively reasonable price, comparison with roadside hoardings and banners, using the media-electronic or print.

Thirdly, a website extends the reach of the enterprise covering the entire globe, that is undoubtedly profitable as more number of visitors flow in from all corners of the world.

Fourthly,the work done via websites is cheaper and proficient and can spare one from labour issues.

Fifthly and most importantly, in the 21st century when nobody has the time to search for trustworthy business associates, and when they are more or less clung to the computer, a website can render a notion that the person concerned is a thorough professional.

There might be a lot other causes and any contribution would be more than appreciated.

Source

I completely agree that websites are pretty much a necessity these days, especially when you consider that there are a lot of things they can do to help (other than what you posted):1) Give users a better idea of company "branding" -- some people trust companies with websites more than those without2) Can be used for leads (allow people to contact you any time, even for things like local service)3) Ways to offer "more" to the customer in the form of informational posts, along with the ability to upsell

Oh, I agree completely, in this day and age a web site is a must have. For my own business, it is a real life saver. I can put out so much more information than I could with any other type of advertising media, and as long as I keep up with posting here at Xisto, the cost is very minimal. I just have to pay for my domain name now, $110 for 3 years, high enough but not out of site completely. Though I do admit it annoys me to pay to own my own name. The 2 things the site helps me with the most is saving me a ton of time answering emails, as I have my frequently asked questions page for people to read. I can post puppy pictures on my site and just send the link in an email when people inquire about a puppy, instead of taking the time to attatch pictures to every email I get, which can be a lot of emails some days. Not only pictures but pedigrees too, which take forever to attatch and send when I get the occasional inquiry for one. It also saves me tons of time digging threw the 1,000's of pictures I have on cd's when someone wants a picture of the sire and dam of the puppy they are interested in. And then there is my health guarantee right there for everyone to read. Then the other big plus in having a web site is that is sets me apart from the all too numerous con artists out there who advertise having pups for sale, but probably don't even own a dog, they steal other breeders pictures and send them out as their own, and pretend to have pups but then just con people out of the money for the puppy. This type of thieves do not take the time to build and maintain a web site, they want no way to have a ripped off customer track them down. Have a long establised web site lets my customers know I'm not a fly by night crook.

Well the largest reason anyone should invest in a website is the fact that it can reach a ridiculously larger group of people than any physical form of advertising, for much less cost. For example, I can pay 10 bucks a year and reach millions of users if I advertise properly. I have worked as a Web Developer for startup companies, small businesses, and mom n' pop shops around my city. The first thing I tell them is that word of mouth just isn't the strongest tool any more.Like the previous poster said, a website can add credibility. A well established website with positive feed-back, as well as a lot of legitimate material (portfolio), can help credit your business much faster than word of mouth can.But I think the most important aspect of a website is the instant functionality. Imagine how easy it is now to add an "affiliate" or to keep track of a "customer" without the need of a paper of pencil. Use a mySQL database, store their information and retrieve it programmatically, instead of hiring an accountant or a clerk to do all of that for you. The older generation isn't too used to the paradigm of the user and the interface, so in my experience, they are always pleasantly surprised when they find out that they can keep accounts online, using Cloud resources that run behind their website to cut down their work by 80% for free.I think social networks need a mention here, because it lets your customers know what you're up to and what you're interested in. That personal connection which many might have initially thought is lost without word of mouth, can be re-established if you have your users follow you on Twitter, or add you on Facebook. The end goal here is to create your commercial website, but tie it with your online persona, so that your customers become your friends, and your friends in turn become long time customers.

Wow! That was a lot of information like I just needed. Quit helpful for anyone who wants to know about why to have a website and how it is useful in one line I would say "A website is the resume of a Company"; showing what the company is all about and what it does and it's achievements till date. :)

Without a website it would be difficult to promote your business or make whatever product or service you selling accessible to your customers all over the world.

It’s something like having your own little shop which is open all the time, without the effort of attending it on daily basis.

You also need to have a feedback on your business by maintaining interaction with your visitors via feedback forms, questionnaires and surveys.