xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ritu

A Refreshing Drink

God! summer is here. It is the time when we don't feel like having anything to eat,not even our favourite food. Actually the rising temperature drains out all the nutrients and energy from our body which makes fatigue strike and we only want to sleep, not to eat. As we need to carry out our daily life, it becomes difficult to work efficiently without having proper dose of food.

How about drinking something ( in place of eating), that is nutritious and soothing at the same time. I am no expert to produce exquisite drinks, just want to share what I usually make at home. I take 3 tablespoonful of curd( better if its home-made), and beat it up with a pinch of salt and 3 teaspoons of sugar, then on a pan I roast some cumin seeds, coriander seeds, black peppercorns and chopped red chillies. After they are roasted well, I grind them coarsely and then add the ground mixture to the curd and stir it until it gets mixed uniformly. It tastes great and is equally refreshing and you can call it whatever you wish to, we call it "Masala Thanda".You can also add some "Chat Masala" if you like . Try it to have some moments of relief in the scorching heat as the curd gives you the nutrition and the spices help avoiding indigestion.

Note:Avoid having this drink when you normally have fruit juices or your stomach is empty, you can enjoy it after having some solid food.

Your recipe for masala thanda or lassi seems to be far more exquisite than mine. I simply add one part of yoghurt blended with one part of water, then add some salt and pepper, along with some finely chopped green chillies after removing their seeds (create a slit along the side of the chilli and get all the seeds out with a knife), and coriander leaves. I typically use the Catch 11 chaat masala but I haven't used it with lassi yet.Lassi goes well with khichdi, which is a preparation made with steamed rice. Anything with yoghurt/curd is considered good for the summers - you can have lassi/thanda, or yoghurt/curd mixed with chipped rice (it may sound unusual, but it tastes rather nice when prepared with the right kind of spices).