xisto Community
mzwebfreak

Great Idea For Saving Space

As I'm sure plenty of people have been concerned about after being approved for their space is whether or not you'll be able to fit everything onto 20 megs, or sometimes, even 50. Well, one thing I've found that works really well is to optimize your graphics for web display. The way I do it is in Adobe Photoshop CS, though I'm sure there's equivalents in Paint Shop Pro and other programs, but there's a tab in AP CS, and you access it like this. File --> Save for WebNow, the best way to save space is to save files as JPEGs instead of GIFs, since JPEGs are usually half to one-fourth the size of the same file as a GIF. Basically though, you only need to save a JPEG file at 30% quality, and you get a small graphic file with basically the same design, but at a lesser size. Just a lil FYI I thought y'all might find interesting.

I prefer using .png files at 8-bt instead. The files sizes are very small and the quality remains the same after editing the file multiple times. I think all browsers support the format too, thought im not so sure about png 24bits.

I've heard PNGs are the newer more advanced form of pictures. GIFs are outdated and old. If you wanna make an animation PNGs do that too.

I don't like jpg because editing them makes them very ugly, after a few while. But you can't use gif for backgrounds (bad 256 color graphics)... How do you use png as animation?

There is another png format made specifically for doing animations, but I doubt any mayor browsers support it yet.

I agree with the majority, PNG is a better graphics format. It keeps the transparencies of graphics that GIF's wont. It also saves space better without taking anything away from the graphic, unlike GIF's which will distort your graphic if it has something like a drop shadow. The only downside to using PNG is that IE and MSN Explorer do not support the transparencies, so if someone is surfing your site using one of those two browsers, they will get a funny looking background on the image instead of seeing it the way it was made. But, if someone is smart, they would switch from IE and/or MSN Explorer to a more up-to-date browser. (i.e. Firefox, Opera, ect.) Though, I know, a lot of people still use MSN Explorer and/or IE because they are comfortable with the program. But, those people are missing out.

Last time i checked IE6 supports having a single transparency color in png images. But it does have display errors if you have more complex transparencies such a gradual fading.