xisto Community
velma

Knowledgesutra Forums Upgraded To Version 3.2 [resolved]

I just haven't figured out how to respond to a post

At the end of each post in a thread, there is a Quote button. I click on it whenever I want to add something from a previous post into my reply so I know who I am replying to if a thread spans multiple pages (I quoted a line from your post, just so we can test it and we know that it works). If I am replying to a single page thread or to posts on the last page of a thread, I simply type in my message and get the word across. BTW, for quoting, you can simply type the quote bbCode tags or select the text that you want to quote and click the quote button on the editor.

I have noticed that many forums use different kinds of editors. In one particular forum, when I click the quote button, it displays a dialog box (not the regular javascript alert or input dialog box but rather one built with HTML and a background layer DIV that shades out the rest of the screen and provides me with a textbox to type in the quoted text or rather copy-paste it into the box. The editor then simply places the quoted text into the message text box surrounded by quote tags. I find the first approach of selecting the text and clicking the quote button less intrusive, as we have here on Xisto, but the second approach of displaying a popup style dialog box in HTML is much more user friendly for someone who has not used bbCode or when there isn't a help page to tell users how to use it.

I'm glad they upgraded the forum too. I have seen many websites that run on old software and nobody really wants to get the license for the new software and take the time to migrate from the old version of the software to the new version. Each version of Invision Power Board seems to add new features and with this version we seem to have the progress bar, or more accurately, an activity indicator at the top of the screen so we know that the page is posting back to a server side script.

One thing I seem to have noticed with the upgrade (or rather, NOT noticed):It seems like the chat room has gone missing.Has it been removed from the forum, or is it going to be added later, or have I just missed the link to go to the chat room?Please let me know, as I quite liked the chat room, it might not have been all that busy, but it WAS fun talking to some people on there.