xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Wireless Mouse Doesnt work

Why won't my Acer 5517 work with a wireless mouse? It downloads the driver from the USB key, recognizes it as active hardware/device, the mouse appears to sync with the USB key... but the cursor is unresponsive?

Pontiff,Wireless mice typically work without any drivers. There are two different types of interfaces that most modern mice connect to. They are the PS/2 interface and the Universal Serial Bus interface, which is abbreviated to USB. If you can try restarting your computer after plugging in the device, you should be able to tell if your mouse is recognized by the computer by right-clicking on My Computer, clicking on the Properties context menu item, and going to the Device Manager tab. Expand the Mouse item group on the device tree and check if your mouse is listed. If you mouse does appear in the list then your mouse is indeed connected to your computer and should ideally work. By the way, how do you know that the mouse is synchronized with the USB device? I have not used any wireless mice yet that come with an LED or similar indicator that shows the mouse is connected to the USB receiver so I push the connect button on both the mouse and the receiver whenever the mouse does not seem to be working but the battery is okay. I used Logitech's cordless optical mouse and that would have a flickering LED near the optical sensor if the mouse did not connect to the receive (or was that when the mouse connected to the receiver?). In some cases, the computer's BIOS settings can be used to force the computer to use the external pointing device. The setting can be used to force the computer to use only the built-in pointing device, both the internal and external pointing devices, or only the external pointing device so check the BIOS setting either by restarting your computer and going to the BIOS setup or using the utility provided by Acer for making the BIOS settings to check the pointing device settings for your computer.