xisto Community
mrdee

Getting Iso's On Dvd Getting 7 Gb+ on a 4.6 Gb disc

I have 3 ISO files, all three of them are more than 7Gigabytes in size.They obviously take up a lo of Hard disk space, and, to use them on various computers, it would obviously best to get them burnt on DVDs.I have both PowerISO and MagicISO, but the problem is, how do I get files of that size on DVDs?I am aware that I am going to have to use multiple DVDs per ISO, but the question is "How?", or rather, "Will either PowerISO or MagicISO know how and where to split them up"?The ISOs contain sets of instrument samples and the installer to install them into their host program, and when I run it from the extracted ISO, the Installer goes looking for the archives of the sets, but, when they are split up, will Windows have the "intelligence" to ask for the proper disc, or prompt me to put the proper disc into the drive?Inexperienced with ISO files as I am (that is why I am not able to give a lot more information), could anyone tell me if either of the ISO programs will tell me how or where to split, as i assume it is important the files get put into the right place (probably meaning "onto the right disc") for the Setup program to recognise them.Any advice will be more than welcome.

What is the actual size of the ISO's? It seems to me like they just might be dual-layered ones (which holds around 7.5 GB's). The only real way to "split" them is to open them in PowerISO, MagicISO, etc. and extract the files to your PC, then just copy them manually. Note that if you do this and you have to "install" something from a disc, however, that you will have complications as you'll need to copy all the files off the DvD's every time you want to do the install.

Mr.Dee,A seven gigabyte file should be able to fit on a dual layer DVD disc. The maximum size of an ISO image that you can burn to a disc depends on the type of media that you have. If you buy a pack of empty compact discs, you will have a choice of getting either exactly seven hundred megabytes or six hundred and fifty megabytes. There are also some compact discs that can accomodate eight hundred megabytes of data but they are not very common. Empty DVD discs are typically single layer discs that can store over four gigabytes of data (4.7 GB to be more precise). Dual layer discs can store over seven gigabytes of data but they cost more than two single layer DVD discs so they are not as common as the single layer variety of DVD discs. You can use MagicISO, PowerISO, Nero, Roxio, or Alcohol disk imaging software to write the ISO image to disc provided you have empty media of the right capacity inserted.If you do not have discs of the capacity that you require, you will have to use WinRAR, 7-zip, WinACE, StuffIt or a similar compression utility to create an archive of the ISO images and split them over multiple discs. This will mean that you can use cheaper discs, such as the empty single layer DVD discs to store the ISO images but you will have to extract the archive to your hard disk to form the original ISO image whenever you want to access the data in the ISO image and then have to mount the ISO that is on your hard disk drive using Daemon tools, MagicDisc or a similar software utility, and run the installation for the software that you want to install. In other words, it means that you are temporarily shifting the ISO images to multiple empty single layer DVD discs and when you need the data that is contained within the ISO images, you have to extract the archive from the multiple single layer DVD discs back onto your hard disk drive and will have to use the ISO images that way that you are using them now. Apart from being inconvenient, another problem associated with this approach is that if you lose one more more of the single layer discs or one of the discs that make up an ISO image is damaged, you will not be able to form the ISO image and given how easily optical disc media gets scratched or tends to stop working, I would get a backup copy of the entire set of discs just in case the first copy stops working. Also, you have to consider the fact that the optical media will degrade over time so every few years you will have to get the data re-written onto a fresh set of single layer DVD discs which means that you will have to use your disc imaging software to burn six discs instead of just three. If you have a BluRay disc writer, you are in luck because you can use a single BluRay disc to store much larger amounts of data than half a dozen single layer DVD discs.BTW, if you do decide to use multiple single layer DVD discs or multiple compact discs, Windows will not have the intelligence to tell that the discs are a part of a single set of data because there is nothing in the disc format to tell Windows that such is the case with the discs but you can create an archive that can be opened with the software utility used to create the archive, or alternatively a self-extracting archive, that will prompt you to change the inserted disc to gain access to the original ISO image which will be copied to your hard disk drive. The advantage of a self-extracting archive is that you do not need access to the software utility used to create the archive and is useful if you are distributing the discs or will not have the software utility when you want to gain access to the data on the discs.However, you might want to consider dropping the idea of using optical storage discs and using external hard disk drives considering the low prices of the hard disk drives today. You can get the larger external disk drives that have their own power source because they are quicker but the smaller external disk drives, often referred to as passport drives because of their size being similar to that of a passport, are more convenient but they are often slower and they do not contain features such as network attached storage and SMB or CIFS network protocols. You can also invest in a network storage disk enclosure that will enable you to insert a given number of hard disk drives within the enclosure and connect it to your home network and access the hard disk drives as network shared folders. The advantage of this approach is that all you need to do when you get home is connect a single network cable or connect to the wireless network that you probably already have setup at home to access your data on the hard disk drives instead of having to connect a USB, SerialATA, or FireWire cable to your computer or a hub for each hard disk that you want to access. In other words, it is the benefit of having a docking station without actually going out to get one. Also, if you have multiple computers on your home network, you will be able to access the data on any of the computers without other computers losing connectivity or access to the data - think of the savings over having to get a separate hard disk drive and a docking station for each of the laptop computers on your network.