xisto Community
NNNOOOOOO

Circuit Breakers: New Ratings

One or two years ago, my older sister (who's not very bright) decided to replace the lights in her room with a ceiling fan. At least she was smart enough to flip the breaker to her room first. After she (incorrectly) got it wired up, she went back to the breaker box, and turned it back on. She went to her room, turned the light switch on, and practically fried the breaker. We had to replace the breaker. Since the un-fried half still worked, and I play with electronical stuff, my dad gave me the old breaker. We also found out that day, the electrician who wired our house didn't do too good of a job in the breaker box, and the inspector didn't either. Our trailer could've burnt down.A few days ago, I could've told you exactly where my GBA was. I needed it a couple of days ago, and still do, to trade Pokemon with myself. I still have no idea where it is. But yesterday, I looked in a box in my closet hoping that I had put the GBA in there. I came across the breaker from my previous story. Then I had an idea. I had this idea before, but never gave much thought into it until yesterday.Why don't they make breakers with smaller kick ratings? I'm sayin' like 1A and less. Like maybe, 50mA could be the smallest. They could also be used as switches, not just fuses. If a fuse blows, you have to buy gas to go to an electronics store, then find the fuse with the same ratings as the old one, then buy it, then but gas to go back home. Then you have to physically replace the old fuse with the new one. Whereas a circuit breaker, you just simply have to flip the switch.So, why not make breakers with smaller ratings?

I think generally they're not delicate enough. They work using electromagnetism and springs, as I'm sure you know. Building that physical design to work at a lower current, without being affected by gravity so much that it triggers accidentally would be tricky. It's also a question of whether it's worth it. While currents of less than 1A will certainly hurt, they probably won't do you much permanent damage. Most people also keep fuses around the house already, rather than having to go out and buy them individually :P

But, a relay is spring and electromagnetism too. I have in front of me, a relay. It's max coil rating is 24V AC. I can put 6V DC/AC across it to get it to kick. 6V AC can't keep it on the on position, but 6V DC can. And I think a breaker is basically a relay that can only kick off (you manually kick on). Yes, 50mA is unrealistic, but 350mA, I feel is closer to realistic.And I know what you're saying about gravity causing it to kick accidentally. And to solve it, make it so that the breaker can kick at twice the torque that gravity is causing. Put enough turns into the coil to cause the required torque.As for 1A not being able to do too much damage to people, I'm not protecting people, I'm protecting wires and electronic components; E.G.: LEDs, ICs, resistors, diodes, etc.