xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
k_nitin_r

Culture Sensitivity

When doing business, it is necessary for organizations to consider the implications of their actions within the context of the local culture. This can be as simple as naming a vehicle model or set the company logo and color. When DHL Worldwide Express sets up its international offices, it ensures that it maintains cultural sensitivity by standardizing some functions all across the globe but localizing some other aspects of the business within the context of the local culture. DHL uses the color red, which is a symbol of good luck, but at the same time it should be careful to not write in red ink because it is a practice commonly used to end a romantic relationship. Also, the number four is avoided because the pronunciation of the number four is similar to the word for death. Some governments require that the organizations doing businesses within their country use the national or the official language of communication. The result is that customers do not get the same service everywhere. Organizations such as McDonald's too has had to adapt its business model to maintain cultural sensitivity, such as the elimination of ham and pork from its menus in India.

personally, i don't think it's necessary. it is good business practice though and large american corporations seem to utilize this philosophy, especially when expanding oversees. you use mcdonalds as an example so let me give an example to show my skepticism as to the necessity you are referring to. have you been to a mcdonalds in the u.s. recently? the native language is english yet they hire non native english speakers for their order takers who you can hardly understand. american food chains may eliminate certain items from their menus in other countries to respect the culture/religious beliefs, but when the shoe is on the other foot and we try to eat foreign authentic foods here in the u.s., there are no menu changes to respect culture or religious beliefs. we get true authentic food. is it necessary to be culturally sensitive to be successful? NO. more successful? maybe...it depends on the definition of success.if it's better to adapt to your specific location and start changing the menu, when does it become too much? if it IS really good business sense, are americans the only ones with good business sense or are americans just trying to capitalize on making more money rather than choosing better locations where a traditional menu would be accepted?when you walk in to a japanese or chinese place here in america, you hear the employes talking chinese and japanese in public all the time where most states in american have now past down laws that is it illegal to do so. there is a reason why there is a language test before becoming a u.s. citizen. very few people complain or make it an issue though....even when their customer service is the least to be desired. i'll still eat their though because their foods are amazing.i only used a food chain as an example, but by point can extend to other products and services as well.

Oh definitely, before attempting to explore business in a foreign soil one must get truly acquainted with culture of the local people. Their tastes,their liking their dislikes has to be kept in view in advance.Otherwise the attempt to venture the strange market will end up becoming futile.Once I heard of a soft drink company campaign that used animals as models to market the product in a country where the local people out there considers something used by animals as not of the standard to be consumed by human beings.So the campaign turned out to be a failure when the company thought of using pet animals as model as something innovative.