xisto Community
NNNOOOOOO

555 Timer Reset Help

The reset pin seems to be always held high, even though I GROUND it. STORY:

Yesterday, I went to Radio Shack to buy a push-to-make switch and a bridge rectifier. I decided not to get the rectifier for a certain reason. Well, Radio Shack didn't have any plain old switches for less than 50 cents. They had lighted ones. I bought one with a thought in my head. It had four pins: 2 pins for the actual switch, 2 for the LED. My thought was to set it up so that when the switch (SPST) was in the "off" position, the LED was always on, but in the "on" position, the LED flashed. I knew this could be achieved with a 555 timer. I used a simulator to plan how the circuit would be built. I then build the circuit. Guess what? The circuit requires the "reset" pin to go low. That doesn't happen.

How do I make the "reset" pin work?

The reset (pin 4) is normally connected to the input power supply by a 10k resistor, and then connected to ground when you want to activate the "reset" part of a bistable circuit (between pin 3 and ground). Make sure you've connected every other pin of the 555 timer correctly, and that there are no shorts. If that doesn't help, post your circuit diagram and we'll take a look.

Didn't work. What I first tried and should've worked:

Posted Image

WHY WON'T IT WORK?!!?

I figured it out, the timer is bad. Used a new timer and it works. BTW, if anyone knows about the sensor kit from RS, does the LED display run on logic or analogue?