xisto Community
rob86

All About Rice

Sooo, rice. A lot of people don't think too much about rice but I do! I'm curious as to how other people prepare this common food? What type of rice do you use, plain old white? Brown? Jasmine? Basmati? Other? Do you use an open pot or covered pot method? Rice cooker? Do you prefer it mushy and sticky or dry-ish? Do you add any spices? How do you eat it? Fork? Spoon? Chopsticks? Hands, ...feet? I've been experimenting with different rices like Jasmine and Basmati, and they're pretty good. Tastes like popcorn!

i am not really a rice fanatic, but i do love rice :) when i prepare it, it's just plain old white rice. i guess you can say that when i am making it, i both boil it and steam it. obviously steaming it will be the last phase. now normally, i would just make plain rice and eat it plain. sometimes i will just put soysauce on it, but usually what i like to do is cook rice when i am also cooking meat. either steak or brats. the brats are great because it releases juices and oils that compliment the rice well. that along with the flavor of garlic that i add while preparing my brats, leaves a great topper for my rice. very flavorful, but greasy and unhealthy :) it's like using bacon grease on the skillet or pan before cooking your eggs to add to the flavor.i am not a big fan of brown rice, but i do like spanish rice. white rice is my favorite though as long as i can add a little sauce and flavor to it that i can get from cooking my meatwhat kind of white rice would i buy? the cheapest kind. like i said, i am not a fanatic about rice so the cheap stuff does just fine. it's how you prepare it that will determine if it's good or not :)the only drawback to using my oils from my meats to add to the rice is that i like my meat well done, so during the last phase of cooking the meat is the most crucial where i have to not only pay attention to the liquid not being absorbed by the meat, but having the liquid not harden on the pan before i am able to pour it on the rice. at the same time, i like that semi burnt flavor in the liquid so it's a little bit of an art during the last phase of cooking the meat. how high the tempature is during that time along with how much more time before it's ready.the way i prefer my rice is a LITTLE sticky, but not mushy. i hate mushy rice and i hate dry rice. once a rice particle can stick to another or stick to your finger, then it is ready. for first timers, it can be a little tricky to cook. also obviously i cook it closed pot since i like the steam to do the rest of the cooking for me.

I can't eat without rice, I always prepared a plain rice using rice cooker. Sometimes,if I have time every morning I usually made a fried rice for breakfast, I add egg, sausage,bacon or anything that can be add in rice and also some seasonings usually a chili powder cause I love chili foods and it really taste so good.

hmmm robi so now rice is your interesting :) great no i will tell you what do i think about rice. my whole life i say one thing " RICE IS MADE BY OTHER COUNTRIES AND BEEN SENT TO US TO EAT IT, LOVE IT, AND GET FAT :)"and this is the truth, one plat of rice can gives you a lot of calories that you should exercise for a whole week to loose it but do i eat it??yeah i do, but sometimes. and in my family we used to prepare it a lot for lunch in so may ways. usually we make it plain, white rice and made it with a little of oil, much water, and salt. put it on the stove and leave it to burn :D and if i saved it we will eat it with vegetable soup or paste "i don't know what do you called it".anyway, the other and more delicious ways are:either made it red, we add tomato paste to it and it will be great especially when we add to it layers of fried potato, eggplanet,green pepper, onion and chicken or meat.or we can make it yellow, by adding yello spices to it like curry, cumin. and we mix with it peas,pieces of carrotes, cornsو Raisins and chickenزor we can make it by adding lentile to it or mung beans and they are delicious too. and of course there are much more ays to prepare rice but this is all i know. have fun eating rice ;) .