xisto Community
magnafrost

Professional Email Address On Own Domain

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi people,I wanted a little help on figuring out a professional email for my resume. I have a reasonably obscure name so both firstname.com and lastname.com is available. I'm not THAT attached to my lastname so I'm not too particular about paying for lastname.com every year (just the domain). I've bought firstname.com and intend to have it for the rest of my life. So the question .. is lastname@firstname.com professional for the resume ? I keep getting the feeling it doesnt 'make sense' the way firstname@lastname.com does. Or do i HAVE to buy lastname.com too ?TL;DR : Is lastname@firstname.com professional enough for the resume?

Edited by magnafrost (see edit history)

as far as i am concerned GMAIL is professional enough. i didn't know it was some sort of standard practice now that people should be buying domain names before sending out resumesalso, your voting poll is very screwed up. i don't think you thought it through to well. get back to me when you have...

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

well i didn't get you fully in here also as anwiii said your pool is messed up and both choices lead to the same place :).any way, to answer your question. in general, using your email in the resume is important of course and i think it only needs that your email should look official and serious. and using your firstname@lastname.com is fine no matter how much your name is obscure :). in fact this may give you some extra attention because the employer will remember your name always :D. so just make sure that your email doesn't contain funny words or makes you look unserious. so go ahead and use your email whatever it is as long as it is fine to use and goos luck with the interviews.

well i didn't get you fully in here also as anwiii said your pool is messed up and both choices lead to the same place :).

hahaha exactly!

@Anwii: Darn ! I didn't realise the poll was that messed up ! Edited it properly now.@Webmaster: Thanks, thats about the perspective that I wanted :)Just to clarify my doubt completely, I have firstname.com which I intend to own forever, and thought I could use it on my professional resume. Just wanted to clarify that it doesnt sound "wannabe". And thanks for the wishes guys :)

@Anwii: Darn ! I didn't realise the poll was that messed up ! Edited it properly now.
@Webmaster: Thanks, thats about the perspective that I wanted :)

Just to clarify my doubt completely, I have firstname.com which I intend to own forever, and thought I could use it on my professional resume. Just wanted to clarify that it doesnt sound "wannabe". And thanks for the wishes guys :)

Webmaster??!! who is Webmaster?? :unsure: not me of course, i am web_designer, my name here is web_designer <_< . did you forget me magnafrost?? i only was away for a couple of months :( this is bad for my reputation.

anyway, glade that my response was useful for you, go ahead with your email and good luck.

Hi Magnafrost,if you already own the firstname.com then use it with mail@ or firstname@firstname.com at the end of the day the employer will be more interested in the content of your resume then your ability to build several domain names. I also tend to agree with Anwiii gmail is acceptable these days as well..... i use mine for everything.Anyway just my humble opinion.....CheersJase

haha there you go with the rep thing. your back! you weren't too concerned when nate called you a him instead of a her though :)well, this is off topic but more interesting to me than an email for a resume. maybe it's a sign that you should be around more often huh? just a thought...

haha there you go with the rep thing. your back! you weren't too concerned when nate called you a him instead of a her though :)well, this is off topic but more interesting to me than an email for a resume. maybe it's a sign that you should be around more often huh? just a thought...

Lol I'm sorry I did not mean to insult Web_designer. I am sorry though that I did make that mistake in a post yesterday and Anwiii was sure to let me know via PM :P

Hope I didn't offend as it was not my intention.

Ok now onto the OP question. Did you know that the domain extension .com is normally used by companies? There is also a domain extension you can get that is .name. The .name extension is designed for exactly the purpose that you are using your firstname.com domain for.

I understand you already own your firstname.com so this info is not really helpful but I thought it might be an interesting piece of info for you.

The email address firstname@firstname.com is what I would probably choose myself but really any email address that does not include silly names or nicknames will be fine in my opinion.

nate called me with him?? when? where?? seems i missed that, thanks for telling me ;). you know i wouldn't let him get away with that if i knew :D .

and natep never mind i kind used on correcting almost everyone in here, so it is fine as soon as you take care next time ;) .

and thanks for mentioning that .com is usually used for companies. you are right i forget that, and i am sure others will find that helpful.

another comment about the email subject, i really didn't think that it is better the email i should use in my resume should be in my name. but maybe some will memorize it better if it is. or maybe not, who knows!! all depend on the employer himself and how he think, right??

Technically like the others have pointed out, it does not matter who your mail provider is as long as you do not have tacky nicknames. Though I usually pay attention to the nickname being used while taking interviews since name-number can be forgiven but cutiepie81 cannot :P . As far as the domain email is considered, both lastname@firstname and firstname@firstname are fine but I personally never use my firstname@firstname email address, I find it embarrassing :lol: The email address I use all the time is my firstname.lastname@provider since it is clear enough.

Technically like the others have pointed out, it does not matter who your mail provider is as long as you do not have tacky nicknames. Though I usually pay attention to the nickname being used while taking interviews since name-number can be forgiven but cutiepie81 cannot :P . As far as the domain email is considered, both lastname@firstname and firstname@firstname are fine but I personally never use my firstname@firstname email address, I find it embarrassing :lol: The email address I use all the time is my firstname.lastname@provider since it is clear enough.

Going to Agree with you on this, though I don't even think your name has to be in the email for it to be "professional." If you really want it to be part of the email, simply go with FirstName.Lastname@gmail. For the most part, those are available.

Note: you can swap Gmail for Yahoo, MSN, Hotmail, etc. as well. I don't view any email-naming practices as being unprofessional.

You certainly don't need an @YourDomain one.

"Hi,

You could visit this site http://www.ownemaildomain.net/ for the best information that you'll need regarding creating your own e-mail domain. The site has step by step instructions and the site creator shares his lessons learned from his over seven years of having his own email domain.

Best of luck."