xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Staring Problem

Ok so I think that I have this staring problem. I just can't seem to get rid of it. I just don't stare at people. It's when I sit down next to people it happens. I stare at them at the corner of my eyes and I just can't seem to stop myself. I don't know what to do anymore. Is it normal for people to do this? I feel like people don't want to sit next to me because of this. I try to ignore it but that doesn't help at all. It's gotten so bad that sometimes I don't feel like going out to places that I know are gonna have a lot of people. Please help me.

Ok so I think that I have this staring problem. I just can't seem to get rid of it. I just don't stare at people. It's when I sit down next to people it happens. I stare at them at the corner of my eyes and I just can't seem to stop myself. I don't know what to do anymore. Is it normal for people to do this? I feel like people don't want to sit next to me because of this. I try to ignore it but that doesn't help at all. It's gotten so bad that sometimes I don't feel like going out to places that I know are gonna have a lot of people. Please help me.

I have it too, and feel like it's really affected my life too. I think it's based in social anxiety disorder. antidepressants and ativan help a little bit, by reducing anxiety. I could go on and on about it, as I've had it for years. I wear sunglasses a lot when I'm out. If I am sitting across from a stranger, say, in a restaurant, I realy start sweating and panicking for example. As far as getting rid of this problem, I'm all but given up that i'll have this the rest of my life, and that I just need to deal with it. Let me know if you want to talk any more about it one on one, by email or phone, because I know what you're going through.

Everything is normal and nothing seems to be normal. I think it's okay that you stare at people. I do it too sometimes. I find them interesting subjects, creatures, people. So I might stare just to really get a glimpse at them. Just train yourself. Stare at them for a few moments and then look at something else. Everything is learned behavior and after about 2 weeks of consciously being mindful of what you are doing and telling yourself to change that specific behavior, you can change it.

I have it too, and feel like it's really affected my life too. I think it's based in social anxiety disorder. antidepressants and ativan help a little bit, by reducing anxiety. I could go on and on about it, as I've had it for years. I wear sunglasses a lot when I'm out. If I am sitting across from a stranger, say, in a restaurant, I realy start sweating and panicking for example. As far as getting rid of this problem, I'm all but given up that i'll have this the rest of my life, and that I just need to deal with it. Let me know if you want to talk any more about it one on one, by email or phone, because I know what you're going through.

Hi,

I also have this starring problem out of my eye corners and can't there fore be out at work or at school which I have stopped. Please contact me as it would be nice to have someone to talk to who can really understand the problem. Let's share experience, advice and so. Please write to me at: shais@hotmail.dk. Greatings, Shais Anees from Denmark

Hi!Irrespective of what you believe, staring is not a problem. It is not a problem because it is so common in society. Well, that would depend on where you live but here, in India, lots of people stare. You may just be standing at a bus stop waiting for a bus and somebody somewhere would be staring at you. It may be the guy sitting at a tea stall drinking a cup of tea, it may be the shop keeper, it may be the beggar across the street near a traffic light, or it just may be the creepy dude next to you who happens to think that you are a rather interesting research subject representative of that segment of society.Believe me or not, there actually is a university assignment where you have to go about observing the behavior of a research subject without informing him or her. I turned it in and I found it a little too awkward to stare at somebody so I wrote about a store keeper that I bought some stuff from while waiting in the queue for paying the guy.If you do tend to stare, feel free to talk about it. People will tend to like you more for speaking up about your problem. If you do not, think of yourself in the shoes of the other person... you would probably think that he or she is a one-eyed murderous psychopath trying to put an end to all things good in this world - okay that is something I made up and is extremely exaggerated. The truth is that staring is just as common as drinking a cup of tea or coffee while making that slurping noise.

I know this sounds a bit cliche but knowing you have a "problem" is half the battle. Maybe commit to trying one solution, taking note how your respond, and then using it more often if it works. If not, move on to another solution and try to make that one work. I know its a little vague but thats how it is for almost anything - you have to give it time to work...