xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dimz

Where Can I Learn Php Programming?

Where can i learn php programming? Does anyone knows some good tutorials on the net assume that i am a total php programing noob, and i dont know any programming languagethanks

Learning php is very easy, for learning php i suggest you to first completely learn html (which is very easy too) as well as CSS, because in most of the times you have to know what you are doing and this needs you to be familiar with html & CSS . so if you know them i will suggest you some resources for learning PHP.The first resource i suggest is PHP.net , it contains all functions of php and you can find comments for each with just searching the function in google (the first result probably will be php.net :D) but if you don't like to use it online in the documentation section of their website you can download the whole html or you can download the CHM file of their website so you can find them using the search functionality of the windows for chm files. the explanation of each function is only some sentences with a simple example so if you stuck in writing a script you need to use other resources too, the main help that this website can give you is that when you forget what function you need for doing something.The second resource that i suggest to you is W3Schools.com , this is a good beginning point too if you don't know anything about php. in their website you will find a tutorial for learning php which contains many chapters, you can start you work from it and read the tutorial step by step, it is not a complete tutorial but it is a good starting point. this website gives you the ability which named "Try it yourself" but sadly this is only available for html and css test. you can start from here to write your first php file and it shows you how to test your written app to know if it is working as you expected or not and for doing this you need to install some softwares which in tutorial you will find them.Now if you didn't satisfied with the tutorial of w3schools then you can read some books for better learning, my suggestion is two books that are popular one of them is "Learning PHP 5" by "David Sklar" and the other one is "PHP Cookbook" , the first one is for learning php and the second one consists of many popular issues and solutions for them. both are good books for those who want to learn php and be a pro in it but none of them are a complete resource and you need to search on the internet about every problem you face. so if you didn't find any answer for the question you have about php then just ask your question in "Stackoverflow" in their website you can ask your question and you will get an answer if someone knows it. there are many other forums too for searching for help in them, one of them is here :P that you can ask your question. PHP is easy and only needs a lot of time, i can say each problem you faced you can find the answer by just googling it because many peoples are working on it and many peoples have faced you problem some time.

Thanks very much. This helped me a lot. I always wanted to become a web programmer, but i cant learn even one single programming language. A friend told me that php is easy so i wanted to start learning it.Greetings from Macedonia

PHP programming is pretty easy to learn and is the programming language of choice for most web designers. PHP code fits in neatly within regular HTML code and is therefore really simple to build, just as was the case with classic ASP (ASP.NET, however, uses a different programming model with a clear separation between code and HTML markup - a move that has been welcomed by many a developer). Having code within the HTML markup is neither a bad thing nor is a good thing. Think of the case when you want to simply add in the server time or the user name into the HTML markup... you could just put in a:<?= $username ?> and the username would appear right then and there! However, when you have to write complex logic into the HTML markup, that's when you should consider having to move some of the code into a separate file. There's a pretty good balance that most PHP development frameworks achieve between putting code into the HTML markup and moving it back into a separate code file. Template engines, such as Smarty, help you in achieving such separation between the HTML markup and the backend coded logic.Learning to program with PHP is as simple as getting a PHP-capable web server (for most people, it is Apache with the PHP modules installed though you can also use IIS for PHP development and testing) or signing up for a PHP hosting account. You can build your webpages as you have been building them with Adobe DreamWeaver, Bluefish, or Notepad++ and can put in the 'magical' PHP code to make the web page content change dynamically. A lot of websites out there make use of content management systems developed in PHP, which means that they do not have to re-create the HTML files whenever they want to add additional pages or articles, or change the layout of elements on their sites. They can simply log in to a backend administrative interface that provides the administrator with the ability to select where a component should appear, add in a couple of plugins, add or edit articles, and publish articles for them to be visible on the site. Commenting is a feature present on most content management systems and provides a great way to obtain feedback from visitors to the site.You can get yourself a good book on PHP that tells you about the basics, on how to get started, what type of editor to use, and provides you with a quick reference for the functions that are available in PHP. You can also get yourself a good editor, once you are familiar with the basics of the language, such as the NuSphere integrated development environment. The advantage of getting an editor is that they provide you with the autocomplete that you need to quickly develop code without having to go back to the PHP function reference. Iniyila has provided a good set of web references for you to get started with PHP programming and those are pretty comprehensive enough for you to build some real applications with. You can find sample chapters from the PHP Cookbook online and can get you a feel of what is in the book.I got started with PHP programming while looking at existing programs. They helped in understanding the structure of the programs and the norms that are followed within the PHP development community. As a great programmer once said, "Read more code than you write." I believe he said he would read twice or thrice as much code as he would write.I hope I have left you with something useful in getting started on your path to PHP. My advice to you is to keep a schedule for your learning and stick to it, lest you fall along the path of many a traveller who started but never entered the world of PHP development.Happy programming!

The best php tutorial I have come across for beginners is located here https://devzone.zend.com/6/php-101-php-for-the-absolute-beginner/
It is in-depth and with witty comments and helpful examples, if you are starting out in php then it is definately where you want to go. After running through the tutorial then you will want to start looking up more advanced topics, but only after you have run through the entire 101 tutorial set.

The best php tutorial I have come across for beginners is located here https://devzone.zend.com/6/php-101-php-for-the-absolute-beginner/

It is in-depth and with witty comments and helpful examples, if you are starting out in php then it is definately where you want to go. After running through the tutorial then you will want to start looking up more advanced topics, but only after you have run through the entire 101 tutorial set.

Thanks man, thats the best tutorial on the entire net. Ill finaly learn php.

Thanks again

No problem, happy to help.The 101 tutorial is where I started learning PHP myself, and now I'm creating my own advanced game engine, good luck with PHP and good luck in the future.

Tutorials are awesome. If you can, I'd suggest to kind of jump right into it. I will admit that I do have some background knowledge in programming -- HTML, VB, Python, Javascript, Java. And as long as you can understand the logic within any programming language, you can catch on very quickly. I picked up PHP in about a week. I'm not an expert, but I learned it by doing a lot of editing and rewriting code that either didn't work or didn't fit my needs and I had to change it around to make it work with my website.While I'm slightly biased with a PHP CMS, I don't have too many complaints and there's a new version that came out. I suggest trying PHP Fusion. It's quite easy to install, setup, and get started. For a beginner, like I was, I got it up in 3 hours. But I was just trying to figure it out. I actually had some problems and learned it so well I am now able to get it up within 1 hour and a full functioning site in about 3 hours.Check out this tutorial I wrote so anyone new wanting to learn and get started do not have to spend hours making mistakes and re-uploading or redoing things.I actually have tried to write this tutorial based on mistakes that I've made and helping you not to make them.You can view it at the other forum here: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/98059-php-fusion-how-to-install-php-fusion/
The latest PHP Fusion version is 7.02.You can download it here: https://www.php-fusion.co.uk/downloads.php?cat_id=23

Thank you sooooo much for the link! I have been looking on the internet forever, and I've bought 2 books, but this is the best. Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this!