xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

My E-Mail Was Compromised!

I was shocked when today I logged in to my G-Mail account and found my e-mail address had been compromised. I share this as as both a warning to others and to take my mind off the embarrassing fact I sent sexual advice to everyone in my address book.Without my knowledge, dozens of spam e-mails were sent at 5:37 (I receieved a lot of automated replies to the spam) from my account. A log shows that someone had indeed accessed my account. Browser * Canada (205.174.169.*) 6:41 pm (0 minutes ago) Mobile Netherlands (80.61.76.144) 5:37 pm (1 hour ago) Browser * Canada (205.174.169.*) 1:16 pm (5 hours ago) Browser * Canada (205.174.169.*) 4:28 am (14 hours ago)I changed my password, I hope that it rectifies the problem and prevents further intrusion. It all seems to have been completely automated.I have no idea how this happened, but I believe this invasion of my private e-mail was a result of negligence on my part. I'm an experienced user who knows how to look out for security risks, though I am admittedly lazy when it comes to good passwords. Despite being well aware of the security risk, I often use similar easy passwords for easy remembering which might have resulted in the hax0ring, Perhaps it was just brute-forced. No idea, Regardless, I urge others to be careful was well. I didn't think this could happen to me. It did however, and I'm glad the result was not worse. Then again, I don't know how much information if any was siphoned from my account. I think it almost convinced me to take security a little more seriously. Too bad I'm still lazy...

hmm, do a little thing, search your email with its previous password on google and see if you find any results, many hackers provide a large list of their hacked e-mails on some websites, they do this because they do not want to login to those account themselves because of some security reasons so they provide hacked emails on some websites as a log and then they are pretty sure at least one person will see those ones and this is enough for them. by the way do the search and see if you can find it in any website, if you found then you are infected by a software called iStealer which comes in any form to steal all of your password. this software is capable of searching and find any password you entered or enter in IE, FireFox, Chrome and Opera and other softwares like skype, yahoo messenger and many other type of softwares. so be aware about that if you are infected you need to do some serious actions because if the hacker is a pro one then he writes something undetectable by all of antiviruses, i was infected by one iStealer about 1 and half year ago and no antivirus was able to detect it until i found my pass and email on a illegal website and then i studied a little about these softwares and i found that because they do not use their written software on many people (they sometimes write a software and use it only for 10 peoples and then another for other 10 peoples) so antiviruses doesn't get aware of them.By the way that one was infecting me, was capable of sending my data through yahoo messenger when it was open so with checking of firewall i was not seeing anything. brute-forcing Gmail is not an easy way so forget about it, their system doesn't let you to try many passwords one after another and so the probablity of brute-forcing is just very low. my suggestion is to use more than one e-mail and with more than one provider, then when you are registering on different websites every time enter a different email so when some one access your account he is only able to destroy your accs related to that email and not other ones and of course you should not use same passwords for you emails too. you should now check every account related to your email to be sure about them to working properly and without any pass changed, actually i also recommend you to inform google about those spams and tell them you acc was accessed from another place too, because they are doing investigations on this and your information will help them to increase the security of their services.Now if you don't know i should tell you can use a more secure way of logging in to your account and it is a two step verification of gmail, for logging in to your acc you need a mobile phone and you need to give its number to google and you will receive a verification code which authorizes your PC, so when someone else wants to access your acc from another PC then you need to get another verification code from your phone and this will give you more security to protect your acc.