xisto Community
Baniboy

Creepy Site Traffic

Lately I've been quite shocked by what's happening to my site. Every time I visit analytics, I see the traffic is going up. It's not that I have a problem with increasing traffic, but it's weird. I just don't know where it's coming from. I'm not promoting my site anywhere nor am I doing any SEO. This is creepy.
Another thing that is creepy is that I get traffic from referring links, through hotmail inboxes?! Somebody is e-mailing my site around or something? Or are they emailing my site to the spambots so they can automate spamming my comment sections? What is this? And also, my hosting server is apparently located in "Walnut, United States" or in middle of the Atlantic ocean? Enough of that, the visitors that come to my site through their windows live inbox stay for an approximately 5 minutes, which makes this even more creepy than it already is, because a bot wouldn't stay that long. It's the second biggest source of traffic I have to my site with 105 visits a month, google being the first with 317 visits a month. Both sources are going up for practically no reason at all. I'm not building links or anything, what is this?
Is google analytics to be trusted?

Sooooo thats where OpaQue has been the whole time... he's been cruising in the gulf of guinea with the server on board...

first do not trust google analytics and go to your cpanel and see detailed bandwidth usage to see if this number of visitors can destroy your website or not, if the bandwidth usage is high then there is some one messing with you, if the bandwidth usage is low then it is probably from google side sometimes their service really goes on my nerves because it shows a lot of traffic coming to my site but when i use other type of counters i find that the numbers are just not true. if your bandwidth is high then it is probably some one using some type of softwares for increasing the bandwidth usage of your website to destroy your service, as i don't know you have an enemy or not but a person can do that thing by two ways, first using a software to reload your page constantly and as some servers know this type of abuse so the software they use changes its ip to a mail service provider to prevent server from blocking it. the second way which i don't think any one want to do that to you , is to sending mass mails for visiting your website this is really a not easy work, there is also a third way but i don't think this is even close to your case, the person can write a special worm which does what i have said in the first way just from many computers around the world.google analytics is not very trustable but it is more trustable than others, by the way i was facing many wrong data from it so i just deleted it from my page and i'm currently using some type of commercial software which does this more detailed than google but google is best in free ones. as i said if you want to see if the traffic google tells you is true or not just check your cpanel, by the way if the traffic is real then you need to do something before things go worse. my first suggestion is to find the ips which comes from hotmail inboxes then just block it on the .htaccess file in the root of your website so this will stop your website from being visited from any visitor which comes from hotmail. if the ips are not one or two and there are many of them then you need to block a range of ips which will probably reduce some of your real visitors too, so put a message to be shown to those who will be blocked and give an email in it so real visitors can contact you and you can allow their ips. i don't think your case is a type of attack and it seems to be just a mistake from google. i can say it is not a bot because bots are just coming to find somewhere to write something in it (like comments section, contact us section , ...) and if they find that your contact or comments are not accessible will not come to your page again (but if the programmer is a fool one then maybe they come :D).