xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NNNOOOOOO

Play Multi-Player Games Across Internet Connection just read

My dad and I usually play Quake 2 with each other. Yesterday, we installed it on someone elses computer, did the update, etc. Today, the guy tried to connect to me and my dad, but he couldn't. We tried his IP address, our IP address, but nothing. Besides connecting to an online server, how do we get the PCs connected to each other for the game.

My dad and I usually play Quake 2 with each other. Yesterday, we installed it on someone elses computer, did the update, etc. Today, the guy tried to connect to me and my dad, but he couldn't. We tried his IP address, our IP address, but nothing. Besides connecting to an online server, how do we get the PCs connected to each other for the game.

Make sure everyone else has their software firewall set up correctly to allow the game or temporarily disabled if they have one running (like ZoneAlarm, AntiVirus firewall or Windows Firewall). It's best just to disable it to see if it's causing a problem)

Router might be blocking a connection too, if you can try hooking your internet directly to the computer (bypass router--this is just for troubleshooting not a permanent solution) but if this isn't possible there should be an option in your Router admin settings called "DMZ" (demilitarized zone (weird name!) or something which should allow any connection to pass through... a temporary troubleshooting step not a permanent solution.

Make sure everyone else has their software firewall set up correctly to allow the game or temporarily disabled if they have one running (like ZoneAlarm, AntiVirus firewall or Windows Firewall). It's best just to disable it to see if it's causing a problem)
Router might be blocking a connection too, if you can try hooking your internet directly to the computer (bypass router--this is just for troubleshooting not a permanent solution) but if this isn't possible there should be an option in your Router admin settings called "DMZ" (demilitarized zone (weird name!) or something which should allow any connection to pass through... a temporary troubleshooting step not a permanent solution.

The first one keeps running through my mind. The other person says that that isn't the problem though. The other ones, we can't bypass our router, the modem and router are the same device. The last one, we don't know our password to get into the router settings, unless you mean through the control panel settings.

How hard might it be to set up our own server for the game? I'm thinking I build a server for the game that only runs when we play the game. It'll have a static IP address. Whenever we want to play the game with/against each other, we connect to the server (after I get it running), and we play like that. The two main reasons it won't be a 24/7 server is power consumption, and flooding (sort of [the setting I'll choose for the game will not allow more that 3 people on it {me, dad, the other guy}]).

As far as any other solution I can think of goes, We go to his house (vice versa) and play through one router. I know that'll work because I've done it many times before.

The first one keeps running through my mind. The other person says that that isn't the problem though. The other ones, we can't bypass our router, the modem and router are the same device. The last one, we don't know our password to get into the router settings, unless you mean through the control panel settings.
How hard might it be to set up our own server for the game? I'm thinking I build a server for the game that only runs when we play the game. It'll have a static IP address. Whenever we want to play the game with/against each other, we connect to the server (after I get it running), and we play like that. The two main reasons it won't be a 24/7 server is power consumption, and flooding (sort of [the setting I'll choose for the game will not allow more that 3 people on it {me, dad, the other guy}]).

As far as any other solution I can think of goes, We go to his house (vice versa) and play through one router. I know that'll work because I've done it many times before.

You could try the "Hamachi" software. https://hamachi.en.softonic.com/

It makes a "Virtual Local Area Network" which means it tricks your computers into thinking you're all connected to one router instead of playing over internet. Everyone would have to install it I think. I'm not sure, maybe not. I have used it a couple times and it allowed me to play games with other people.

It's not as convenient as just figuring out why it won't connect normally though but it might work.

You could try the "Hamachi" software. http://hamachi.en.softonic.com/
It makes a "Virtual Local Area Network" which means it tricks your computers into thinking you're all connected to one router instead of playing over internet. Everyone would have to install it I think. I'm not sure, maybe not. I have used it a couple times and it allowed me to play games with other people.

It's not as convenient as just figuring out why it won't connect normally though but it might work.

OK, I'll try that later. If it don't work, I'll tell ya.