xisto Community
contactskn

What Is The Difference Between Lcd And Led Tvs.

Dear friends actually I would like to know the difference between LCD and LED TVs, that what is the difference technology wise. As look wise I didn?t saw any difference over there. But cost wise LED was quite expensive than LCD. So please post with the technical difference.

From what I know, LED TV's have more contrasting color, I mean the darks are perfect darks. Also LED TV's consume a bit less power than LCD's.

"LED TV", as used by most manufacturers, is a lie.An LCD uses a liquid crystal display to generate the image you see on the screen. They work in the same way as a pocket calculator's display. Light is generated at the back of the screen and passes through a polarising filter. The liquid crystal molecules are then in front of this polariser, and cause the polarised light to change the orientation of its polarisation by 90 degrees. Another polarising filter is then placed on top, oriented at 90 degrees to the first polariser. Normally light cannot pass through two polarising filters oriented like this (try it with a pair of polarising sunglasses). The light is rotated by the liquid crystal molecules, so it passes through both polarisers and the screen appears transparent. However, if you apply an electric field to the molecules they change their orientation and stop rotating the light in the correct way to pass through the front polarising filter. This causes the screen to appear black. Varying electric fields can vary the strength of the effect, allowing you to make colours darker, yet not completely black. The light used in an LCD TV is generated by either a white CCFL tube (fluorescent light) or separate red, green and blue CCFLs.The only difference with what manufacturers call an "LED TV" is that the light is generated with a bank of white or red/green/blue LEDs instead of CCFL tubes. It is important to note that there is absolutely no change in resolution or picture quality! The display technology is exactly the same!A true LED display is a display using LEDs to represent individual pixels or subpixels. The most common place you see them is on the front of buses :P LED displays are also used for digital advertising billboards and large outdoor displays. Remember that a pixel can only be as small as an LED (or 3 LEDs for a full-colour display) so they have to be viewed from a great distance to get the right effect (liken it to looking at your TV or computer monitor from 1 inch away - you'll see the individual pixels).

hmm if you google this title you will find many results which are trying to compare these two through their specifications so i will not compare them using specifications i will compare them using my experience.we have bought a samsung LED tv recently (Samsung - UN46C8000) and sold our previous lcd tv (Samsung LA-40A550). the biggest difference that i have seen is power consumption, our previous 40 inch lcd usage was about 210Watts per hour and this new led even with its 6 inch bigger panel uses 40watts less than the lcd one. actually i should say that the difference between dark color in our led with our previous lcd is not huge, i have seen many HD movies in both and i don't think there is any huge difference at all (except for the refresh rate but you can find lcds with 240hz refresh rate so it doesn't depend on being led). and after all i think led tvs are not much better than lcds yet because their price difference is big but if the price of led tvs falls then its a better choice.