xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NNNOOOOOO

My Pc Makes A Buzzing Sound

The amplitude of the sound can vary. It doesn't make the sound all the time, just half. I can quiet it down by applying pressure to the very front of the case. I can put stuff under the case to support it and apply a constant pressure to it. Sometimes doing that doesn't shut it up completely. I, just a minute ago, beat the top-front part of the case and it quieted down some. The house's heater is drowning out the noise a lot.

The PC is around a year old. Bringing it out of sleep mode can make the noise stop or make it start, depending on what it was doing before it went into sleep mode. I'm about to destroy it.

The amplitude of the sound can vary. It doesn't make the sound all the time, just half. I can quiet it down by applying pressure to the very front of the case. I can put stuff under the case to support it and apply a constant pressure to it. Sometimes doing that doesn't shut it up completely. I, just a minute ago, beat the top-front part of the case and it quieted down some. The house's heater is drowning out the noise a lot.

The PC is around a year old. Bringing it out of sleep mode can make the noise stop or make it start, depending on what it was doing before it went into sleep mode. I'm about to destroy it.

It's a common problem that I've had with just about every computer I ever had and might be easy to fix. Actually I posted about it recently (although my advice of banging on it wasn't entirely good advice). It's often just the main fan buzzing. You can open up the case and turn on the computer (don't touch anything though) and locate where the buzz is coming from. There's a good chance it's the big fan that blows air out the back because that's the thing that moves all the time. Then you basically just unplug the computer clean the dust off and spray some lubricant on it but make sure it isn't dripping everywhere. To be safe you could probably remove the fan with a few screws and clean it up on a table so you wouldn't drip lubricant everywhere but make sure you remember the whole static ruining computer parts stuff. Don't walk around on carpet with socks with your hands inside the case , hold on to the case etc I'm no expert.

Just clean the dust off best as possible, put some lubricating oil of some kind (something you spray that fixes squeaks) and spin it around with your finger, let it sit for couple minutes. Then put it back in the way it was, and hope the buzz goes away. It might take an hour or so for the lubricant to work in and the buzz to go away completely. If you don't have lubricant, removing the dust _might_ be enough but lubricating it is best.

Make sure it's not dripping wet (flinging oil everywhere) when you put it in too.

It could also be that the computer is not put together tightly and the fan (again) while not buzzing itself might be causing another part of the computer, for example the case to buzz. Something could just be loose. I had this problem with a Gateway desktop, it buzzed like crazy even though it was brand new. I was too lazy to fix it, so I just put a heavy book on it -- and never took it off. The sound disappeared. Not much of a solution, but it's a solution I could live with.

Your best bet is to just open the case and locate where the buzz is coming from by listening but not touching then proceed from there. It shouldn't be too hard. Be careful about touching everything though, I don't know how experienced you are with this kind of computer surgery.

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

yea, like rob says, it's probably the fan. i i used to bang on my computer and the sound would go away for 5 minutes or so. but if you have some wd-40 and some duck tape, i would do what rob suggested. it's really not a big issue. worse case scenario is you will have to replace the fan....if it is indeed the fan. if it's not, bang on your computer and see if it stops :)