xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NNNOOOOOO

Wireless Network Bridging

So recently (yesterday), we received a new modem from Windstream. We also upgraded our internet service. The modem they sent us is also a wired/wireless router. We need the internet in my room w/o buying a receiver to do so. Today, my aunt brought us another wireless router of a different company. That router can bridge, but only with another router of the same model. It is a Belkin, model F5D7231-4. The Windstream is a D-Link, but I don't know the model of it. Is it possible to make the Belkin bridge with the D-Link?

So recently (yesterday), we received a new modem from Windstream. We also upgraded our internet service. The modem they sent us is also a wired/wireless router. We need the internet in my room w/o buying a receiver to do so. Today, my aunt brought us another wireless router of a different company. That router can bridge, but only with another router of the same model. It is a Belkin, model F5D7231-4. The Windstream is a D-Link, but I don't know the model of it. Is it possible to make the Belkin bridge with the D-Link?

I've never used a router's wireless features or 'bridging' but I have both a Belkin and D-Link and you can connect them with an ethernet cable I have done it. The ISP cable goes into the D-Link, a cable connects one of the dlink ports to the Belkin's "ISP input" (not sure what it's called), and that's it. Not sure if that's what you're trying to do, my experience with routers is pretty limited.

i didn't understand what you exactly want but i think that your modem is in a different room and you want to connect to it using your wireless router. so you want to use your wireless router as a wireless adapter. i haven't seen F5D7231-4 model but i have seen F5D7234-4 so this one should be like them too. first of all update your firmware to the latest one available officially and then in options search for something like "client router" and enable it and install the latest software from official website and use it to connect to other networks (the brand of the modem is not important). if your modem doesn't have the option it means that you can not do that with officially released firmwares however there is a modified firmware available for most of the routers named "DD-WRT" which has that option and you can use your host router as a client router but there is risk of damaging the router while installing it so i don't suggest using modified firmware.

i didn't understand what you exactly want but i think that your modem is in a different room and you want to connect to it using your wireless router. so you want to use your wireless router as a wireless adapter. i haven't seen F5D7231-4 model but i have seen F5D7234-4 so this one should be like them too. first of all update your firmware to the latest one available officially and then in options search for something like "client router" and enable it and install the latest software from official website and use it to connect to other networks (the brand of the modem is not important). if your modem doesn't have the option it means that you can not do that with officially released firmwares however there is a modified firmware available for most of the routers named "DD-WRT" which has that option and you can use your host router as a client router but there is risk of damaging the router while installing it so i don't suggest using modified firmware.

What i'm wanting to do is turn the F5D7231-4 into a receiver to the Windstream/D-Link. But official papers state that if I do turn the F5D7231-4 into a receiver, it can only communicate with another F5D7231-4 and some other model. What I'm asking is, can I force the Belkin to communicate with the D-link/Windstream?

What i'm wanting to do is turn the F5D7231-4 into a receiver to the Windstream/D-Link. But official papers state that if I do turn the F5D7231-4 into a receiver, it can only communicate with another F5D7231-4 and some other model. What I'm asking is, can I force the Belkin to communicate with the D-link/Windstream?

so i have understood you completely correct. receiver is a client router and you mentioned it only works with same brand which i heard a lot and i should say if your router has an option to work as a receiver then it probably works with other brands too but with a little problems like auto disconnecting and etc. so first of all try too see if it can work if it didn't the only way you have is to change it's firmware to the "dd-wrt" modified one. many users have changed their routers to a client routers (receivers) by this firmware and they are using it but some of them have damaged their router so you should be very careful and install it step by step as the instruction on dd-wrt website. and you should always know that a router is originally designed to work in host mode so using it as client is always causing problems.

i should say again :there is no guarantee that using DD-WRT firmwares will not damage your router.
Edited by Iniyila (see edit history)