xisto Community
Eza

Why Do People Have Dogs? Dogs And Money.

Why do people have dogs? Dogs don't produce much in most countries. Like in some Northern regions dogs serve like pulling sledges. That can be considered to contribute to the economy. But in countries with less snow the dogs don't pull sledges. In war time some dogs served like transportation dogs. Some dogs help blind people to find their way. The dogs help to avoid obstacles in their way. Other dogs serve like for the task to find mines. These dogs can be considered very helpfull and life saviers. Other dogs are trained to find drugs in the luggage at the air port. They help the government to execute the drugs and health politics. Other dogs are trained disaster dogs. They help to find people who are burried under the ruins of collapsed buildings. The police uses dogs to keep protesting people under control.

This is a sort of a description of some tasks dogs execute. An observation can be that in these cases the dog is in some way usefull for the people.

In lots of households dogs don't work in these jobs. A dog can help to protect the house. A house with a dog, especially when it barks at night, can help to prevent the house from being robbed and entered by a burglar. So for that reason a dog can be very usefull. A dog can give a save feeling when walking outside with a dog. Allthough it is very likely some dogs will be the first ones to hide away when an agressive person approaches the boss and the dog.

After this list of possible usefull jobs and tasks for a dog the question still remains: Why do people have dogs? In contrary to the popular belief dogs are very expensive. The dog needs to eat. And most of the dog food is not for free. Dogs sometimes need veterinarian treathment. And most veterinary doctors don't hand out their services for free. And it is usefull for a dog owner to have an insurance. Because a dog is an animal. And a dog can harm somebody. And a dog can cause damage to other peoples ownings and goods. And the owner of the dog can in some cases or in most cases be held responsible for the damage. A dog needs a lead to. And it is handy to have some dog stuff, like toys, a bowl to drink and a bowl to eat out. Because not all people like their dog to use the gear the other members of the household use for their food and drinks.

Taking in consideration that a dog costs money and maybe can considered to be expensive and that for most households a dog doesn't contribute to the household income there seems to be no explicite explanation and no obvious reason and no economical ground for the situation, that some people in the Western world have dogs in their houses.

Why do people have dogs?

Edited by Eza (see edit history)

Dogs sometimes need vegetarian treathment.

ROTFLMAO!!!!
Oh, I'm sorry, but that was just too funny not to comment on. While I hate critisizing others for the spelling as I'm not that good of a speller either, but that was just too cute! Dogs should never have vegetarian treatment, though they may occasionally need to see a veterinary. :)

I'll have to get back to you later with some more constructive comments.

You?ve covered quite a few of the useful things humans need dogs for. There are a few others I would also like to add. I am also a goat farmer, so I keep Komondor dogs out with my goats. They protect my goats from ANYTHING that might bother them. I can sleep well at night knowing nothing is going to bother my goats and live to tell about it. In most parts of the United States, it would be impossible to raise sheep or goats due to coyotes, or even stray dogs. Or neighbors who live in the country and think it?s cool to let their dogs run free. Did you know that dogs have also been trained to detect cancer? There was a Standard Schnauzer named George that after being retired from military use as a bomb-sniffing dog, was retrained by his owner with the help of a dermatologist to detect melanomas. George was so good that he most likely saved one man?s life. George insisted that a mole on the man?s body was cancer. The mole had been checked by three separate doctors and biopsied twice, the doctors insisted it was not malignant, however, George continued to insist so the mole was removed, and was dissected a microscopic slice at a time until in the very center of the mole, ONE cancer cell was finally discovered! George?s success rate was 99.7%! I seriously doubt there is any high tech expensive laboratory equipment that has that good of an accuracy rate. There are many other instances of pet dogs with no special training what so ever, that have alerted their owners to various health problems, remember a dog?s sense of smell is something like 220 million times stronger than a human?s. We also have dogs that are trained as seizure alert dogs, for those with epilepsy. Now, aside from all those useful things you and I have come up with, we still haven?t covered the average everyday pet dog that you see in probably three quarters of all the household in America. Yes, their maintence can be expensive. They do require food and medical care occasionally. Toys and bowl and other equipment all all needed. And yes, left unatended they can be destructive if not properly trained. But the fact of the matter is, they are just good company! Your dog is never going to be unhappy to see you come home. Your dog will always love you no matter how you feel or what kind of a mood you are in or how bad your day has been. They are committed to you and are stead fast in loyality, a trait not that frequently found in our fellow humans. They give us purpose. Did you know that studies have proven that dogs are a benetfit to our health? Elderly dog owners in general live longer than their counterparts that do not have a dog. When you are upset, just sitting and petting a dog can lower your blood pressure. Of course, getting out to walk your dog has the benefits that your dog is not the only one getting exercise. Dog give a lot of their owners a reason to get out of bed in the morning when otherwise they might not have the will power to do so due to illness or even just depression. There are numerous cases of autistic children who never responed to any outside stimuli that actually would respond favorable when exposed to a friendly, cuddly dog. They can give children confidence, and teach them about responsibility. So, it?s pretty much a no contest when it comes to the benefits of owning a dog as to not having one. Our relationship with our canine friends continues to develop and grow and prosper, even if snow mobiles have replaced dog sleds and high tech gadgets provide home security. (personally, I?ll trust my dog with my personal security before I?d trust technoligy anyway.) Dogs will continue to prove their worth to us without a doubt. Now if only those dummys at TSA would figure this out and get a bunch of dogs working at airports. I?d sure rather be sniffed by a dog than groped by a government employee!!!

Taking in consideration that a dog costs money and maybe can considered to be expensive and that for most households a dog doesn't contribute to the household income there seems to be no explicite explanation and no obvious reason and no economical ground for the situation, that some people in the Western world have dogs in their houses.

Why do people have dogs?

That's like saying, why have children when it can take decades before they contribute to family expenses? If one sets all the positives aside just for the sake of some lifeless object with far more negatives than anything with life in itself, then i cannot say there is a problem with those who choose to have a relationship with living things but with those who have a relationship with lifeless material. To take on such unemotional behavior i would be willing to claim that it is a step towards evil. And the last thing i'd want is to be "controlled" by money to such an extent. If anyone does not consider their pet as part of their family, then perhaps they shouldn't have one in the first place.

Beautifully put! Not all things can be asigned a dollar value. Things that bring us joy and friendship bring a value to our lives that cannot be boiled down to dollars and cents.

in my town most of peoples have dogs but with many different reasons, some people are living alone in their home and they want to have an animal which can be their friends and dogs are the most wanted animals because they can be a friend of human so much easier and they even can help you in some conditions so most peoples are going for dogs. some younger peoples here are having dogs for odd reasons like "my friend has one so should i" or "dogs are beautiful" or something like this and they are changing their dogs regularly like its a toy or a shoe. some other have dogs for protecting their lands, they choose huge dogs and strong ones and leave their dogs in an empty house and every day some one will come and give them something to eat. these are the most reasons why peoples around me are having dogs.i think those who have dogs because their friends have are not going to believe what a dog can do, they change their dogs and do not keep one for a year so they will never find out anything about dogs. so i suggest everyone if you want to have a dog you should give some of your time to him/her and try to know your dog and never change it because of ugly reasons like not being beautiful.