xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NNNOOOOOO

Ide To Usb Converter And Hdd

I got an IDE to USB converter from a Sony external DVD burner. I decided to take the converter out and connect a HDD to it. The PC can't find drivers for it. The HDD has been in the PC before.Do I need to buy a different IDE to USB converter for it to work properly, or do I just need to get drivers for it? Also, if I need to download drivers for it, can anyone point to a download for me? It's killing me. I just want to use it as an external HDD for Xbox on account of I alredy have it, and there is media already on it (music, video, maybe some pictures).

You need to install the drivers before you can attempt to connect it. I think there should be one drivers CD or software inside the pack. Have you checked that ? If not then enter the name of the IDE to USB converters name in google and find out if there is any driver or any way to fix your problem. I don't think it comes without drivers CD so you need to check it on web if you don't have CD.

most of the times you can use you ide to usb converter with any ide device and if you have used your usb dvd external with your computer changing the dvd-rw to h.d.d should not need any driver because the driver is already installed. in windows seven these type of drivers are preinstalled and you don't need any driver but if your device is very old and you cant find the driver just google "Generic USB to IDE driver" and you can try that driver and see if it works. if you want to use it with xbox i don't think it works because xbox only detects mass storage devices but for the ide to usb converters a different driver needs to be installed. anyway you can test it and i hope it works.

UPDATE:After changing some jumper settings, the HDD was detected as the drive that was connected previously (the Sony DVD R/W). still needing help.