xisto Community
web_designer

How To Optimize Google Adsense?

hi there,i recently added GOOGLE ADSENSE to my website. and i noticed that the ads are not relevant to my site contents. and they look really awful right now :( . any way, i hope you can help me with this and give me some tips and advices on how to use google adsense in the perfect way. thanks in advance and every single advice will help me because i still new in this field :) .

You have to redesign your wordpress theme in order to get better adsense placement. Two best adsense formats are 468x60 and 300x250.1. You can place 468x60 below the post title of your every blog post. Avoid placing the below title adsense in frontpage but only enable it for the single page or single blog post. 2. Place 300x250 image+text ad in sidebar. You may feel it odd or hate it but it gives better CTR. And this is the reason you need to update your current meinterest.com blog with new theme. 3. If you want to earn money using adsense then you have to upset your readers in terms of design by making the odd placements that gets clickthrough. So let's revise the placements again -For blog post place ads - below title, below content, sidebar .For frontpage or pages place ads - on sidebar only. Hope this gives you good start. Don't just rely your blog for adsense clicks. Join sites like xomba, yousaytoo or infobarrel to post your content and earn adsense shared revenue from those sites. If you want my referral link then let me know i can send you via PM. Hope this helps. hussha... i typed this in one breathe... lol.

I never had "adsense" before, it's just easier for me to have it on Clicksor or Adbrite so it gets paid to my paypal account directly (even though they pay less). But I think I can still help you out since all of them are pretty much the same basic idea.

To get "relevant" ads you need to base your content of the page on your "target" niche. Rewrite your Title and your URL of the page. Use the anchor text of hyperlinks, these are very important. Like, if you are linking to your PHP collection, spell it out and add descriptions and stuff. It checks the links to that page from other pages and certain keywords that appear alot on the page (you can check that out in your Google Webmasters page). And all the other title tags are important too... if you need more help, try the Webmasters Central from google, you get replies like every 10 minutes on that thing. ;)

Also, for the sizes I prefer those 720x90 banners and those 300x250 blocks. Here...

-- A 720x90 banner under the logo and before the content, in the homepage and site wide.

-- A 300x250 blocks on the sidebar (if your sidebar can fit it).

(optional: if your sidebar isn't big enough, try a skyscraper on the sidebar...beware its big)

-- Use a 300x250 block on the left side before the content beings, the text is aligned right (really effective!!!)

-- try a 480x20 banner strip inside the content, somewhere in the middle.

Of course, you can configure all this through the Ad-minister plugin on your blog. Here are some of the things it can do :

Ad-rotation (with content having different page-view percentages)

Schedueling (including multiple time periods)

Widget compatible, easily create widgets in which to put your ads

Track impressions and clicks of each ad

Statistic available in template (e.g. for advertiser, on a password protected page)

Optional wrapper code for each position

Automatic setup

Good luck on setting up the ads ;)

thanks for the valuable advices mahesh and deadmad. i am really appreciated.

@mahesh,
i was thinking of adding more ads in the sidebar, as sky skyscraper for avoiding redesigning my site, what do you think??

and i was intending adding ads only below contents and sidebar. because i think if i added more i will ruin my reputation :D . well, i don't want to disturb my readers with a lot of ads.

but i intend to add ads on the sidebar in the front page as you said. and thanks for suggesting me those sites i will try to do my best.

and can you guys help me with the target thing. i still have irrelevant ads with my site. i made some researches and i can optimize them and target my contents by using :

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->CONTENT<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

but where should i place them??
around the code of the content ( i use wordpress CMS) or around the posts from wordpress dashboard, because i tried it and nothing changed. so am i on the right way and it takes time to change or not??

@deadmad
thanks sor your suggestions. i will try Webmasters Central from google and see. and thanks for the plugin i will use it.

and i was thinking of adding adbrite ads instead of adsense in the sidebar. so what do you think??? which is better ??

Take a look at this sample http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ from my site, everything is targeted well. The adbrite ads was the only one not totally blended on the site (there was an issue with the video ads preroll on IE, just ignore that), the reason why adbrite was not totally blended is that I want people to notice it and buy that space :D. Adsense was blended on the side panel and after the post above the comments.There are ways to trick people to click your adsense links but I hate that so I avoided putting adsense link ads. I don't want them to be annoyed just the way I got annoyed.Your site layout is good and it looks like that it was pretty easy to expand that layout abit to have a bigger content area and a bigger side panel. Why don't you expand those 2 areas by editing the template?For the adsense format just feel free to visit this link so you will know what will happen to your site if you are going to use skyscrapers https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/185665?utm_source=aso&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=ww-ww-et-asfe_&hl=en-GB

Breaking the reply for easier reading

Take a look at this 2 piece of meta tags

<meta name="description" content="tutorial on how Reading Data in a form: using image maps"> <meta name="keywords" content="reading data in a form using image maps, reading data in a form using image maps using php,using image maps,reading data in a form: using php,coding">

You site was targeted more on "maps" thus adsense thinks you are talking about maps. Try to rewrite your description and keywords to target PHP.

Take a look at my meta tags from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, a topic about nested decoding.

<meta name="keywords" content="php,gzdeflate,gzinflate,nested encoding,decoding nested encodings,tips,quickfix,coding,gaming,online games,entertainment,videos,google,adsense,googlesense" />

The part about "gaming,online games,entertainment,videos,google,adsense,googlesense" are just auto keywords I used on my site, they will appear automatically so ignore that. My description was missing and I know when it appear to search engine results, my link may have blank description and I am loosing extra adsense targeting yet my "keywords" are doing their part. If there are avdertisements that appear as MMA, Grappling and other fight sports, there are intentional as I informated the search engines that I am serving those video content.

Adsense reads your keywords, content and then description to know what it should serve. Hope it helps.

NOTE: Why I don't have description meta, I am targeting Google, yahoo, Bing and Ask.com, they show up my site perfect by pulling my page title and the first few sentences of the post and that is enough for me.
Edited by vhortex (see edit history)

@mahesh,i was thinking of adding more ads in the sidebar, as sky skyscraper for avoiding redesigning my site, what do you think??

and i was intending adding ads only below contents and sidebar. because i think if i added more i will ruin my reputation :D . well, i don't want to disturb my readers with a lot of ads.

Yes. Avoid all sky scrapers and large ad formats except 300x250 and 468x60. These two are the one you should use. One thing you can do is :-

1. 1 ad to Use in format 468x 60 below content.
2. 1 ad to use in format 300x250 in sidebar.

Don't worry about reputation, it's just business that content sites do to survive the hosting bills or other earnings.

You can keep the adsense content tags/keywords to target in content query of wordpress. You can locate the single.php or page where we use loop of content. This content should get the attention from adsense bot for keywords and this is where you need to place that query.

Adbrite and adsense are bit different when it comes to conversion and targeting. You can even check the results by hosting these ads on different sites. Adsense bot seems to be mature and uses right keywords and ads for the content while adbrite doesn't , this is problem because of lack of keywords and low CPM rate in adbrite. It's okay you can concentrate on adsense for wordpress for now.

Oh by the way, just checked your site for wordpress tutorials, nice one. You should write another series for wordpress options settings(like typography, colors, other custom options page) for themes, which is not covered by other writers on web. You'll get lot of traffic for this.

If you have any other questions, reply here i'll see if i can help.