xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
inea

Death Penalty Is it acceptable.

Death penalty seems to depend of the idea, that somebody lost his or her rights to be a part of the society. Or the staying alive of this person endangers of the well being of other members of the society so much that it seems better for the sake of the society and other members of the society that the person who committed a crime is taken out of the society.It can be possible too, that the death penalty is used to warn other people not to commit a crime. Because the execution of the death penalty warns other people, who might consider to commit a crime, not to commit this crime because this execution of the death penalty warns them what the results of their crime might be.This is not completely fair towards the person who gets executed. Because the acts and possible future acts of other people and the fear for them and the wish to prevend other people from committing crimes causes the execution of the death penalty to somebody, who has nothing or not much to do with the possible crimes of other people.China, the United States and Iran seem to be states where the death penalty is executed. This offers the question whether or not the death penalty is necessary in criminal law.

I have long been a supporter of the death penalty. Although I have doubts as to wether or not it actually is a deterrent to crime. If you get mad enough at someone, or have the opportunity to steal or in some way make a very large sum of money, I think that it is unlikely anyone would take into consideration that they might get caught and killed and therefore change their mind and not commit the crime. I support it simply because there are some people on earth that absolutly do not need to live. There are some that are just so mean, warped, sick and twisted that to waste the recourses of our earth on their continued survival is just foolish. I do of course, thing the death penalty should be reserved for only the most terrible crimes. A recent one would be that sickco that shot and killed all those people, including an innocent young child, at a politicians public meeting. While I can see being mad at a politician, and I could even see life in prison had he just killed her, to shoot up a whole crowd, they should hang that sucker.

Well, I think the death penalty should exist and be brought back in the countries/states where it was abolished.
Like sheepdog says:

I do of course, thing the death penalty should be reserved for only the most terrible crimes.

I obviously tend to agree with that, it is barbaric to, like they do in some countries (or used to do in some countries) to hang someone, just because he/she said something that sounds disrespectful to the president or prime minister, but for a (mass) murderer or child molester or someone who has committed similar horrible crimes, why should they still be allowed a place in our society (I have seen some examples of people like hat who were let loose on society again after their crime, and who commtted exactly the same crime), only to be a danger to everyone again, and, why should we, the tax payers, have to pay to keep them in jail, feed them etc. especially in a jail that has more of a luxury hotel than of a prison.

Also, as for the death penalty being a deterrent, inea said:

It can be possible too, that the death penalty is used to warn other people not to commit a crime. Because the execution of the death penalty warns other people, who might consider to commit a crime, not to commit this crime because this execution of the death penalty warns them what the results of their crime might be.
This is not completely fair towards the person who gets executed. Because the acts and possible future acts of other people and the fear for them and the wish to prevend other people from committing crimes causes the execution of the death penalty to somebody, who has nothing or not much to do with the possible crimes of other people.

I am not so sure this is not fair to the people who committed a crime, is it fair for them to commit the crime in the first place, destroy the lives of whole families, put the people of the community at risk?

It is indeed true (although we are on thin ice here) that the death penalty could be a deterrent, however, that should not mean that (like in some countries), people should be excuted for almost nothing, that is no longer a deterrent, that makes the death penalty sheer terror by a dictatorial regime.

However, it might make some people (except true psychopaths, of course) think twice before committing certain crimes, just thinking of the consequences their crime might have for them.

It is, on the other hand, also true, that the death penalty can be exploited politically, as I said in the opening bit of this post, however, this works both ways, people being executed just to get a political opponent out of the way, also creates martyrs, which then, in turn can speak against the concept of the death penalty, however, in cases lke that, it is safe to speak about a death penalty without just causes, a killing for settling a difference between people, which says a lot more about the one ordering the execution than about the executed him(her)self.

It is indeed a very complicated matter, and although I am in favour of the death penalty (only in certain cases, of course), I do have my reservations against death penalty in certain cases, without proper evidence, or just a death penalty with no crime, eg. to get rid of people who get in somebody's way.

But nevertheless, if the law is very clear, and people are only executed for the most horrible of crimes (and yes, not just to make an example out of them, otherwise we get situations like the ones in the French Revolution, to mention only one), then I would say "Executioner, proceed".

i do not agree in the death penalty in any shape or form any person who commits a serious crime should be sent to a remote island until they can be safe to be released or stay on the island forever, I Thank my Heavens i am not in a country which practices the Death Penalty and most of Europe have not executed anyone in years and hope they never will again. i hope that the rest of the world gets rid of the practice soon.

I feel death penalty shouldn't be done away with totally, there are stories of crime that can give nerve wrecks, and the people who commit such crimes, do they have any basis to bag the list of human rights? It is very easy for us to say that death penalty is not acceptable, but the people who have been victimized, they have lost things or persons that matter in their lives and one thing that I have noticed in the convicts is that they somehow do not have the fear of facing the consequences, if death penalty is awarded to them, it would be possibly the best way to punish the individuals showing no signs of regret.

i have read some stories in the news papers and online doing with crimes commited over the century's and in some of those case i would of wanted to death penelty but in some cases people have being wrongfully executed and you can not bring back those people, so i guess i stand by my earlier comment but i see where the rest of you guys are coming from.