xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zagubadu?

History Is it Important?

History  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So do you think history is important? I don't know why but for some reason I was thinking about this earlier. Lots of people don't think its necessary to learn about our past, but its more important then most would think. Also saying that history is useless means that our lives we live now as it passes us also doesn't matter. Everything we do one day becomes history the next. What do you think?

I think history is important only if people have the logic and reasoning skills in order to relate that history to the present and future. The idea is that if you have what failed or worked in the past, and under what conditions that it failed or worked, you will be in the position to make better decisions. Most politicians are encouraged to have a good grasp on history, but it is also applicable to the every day person. A more interesting subject however, and more useful, is sociology. History and sociology really work hand in hand.

I think, that it's really important to learn History and know it, how and there what happened and what consequence it gave..When you know the basics of history, you feel quite differently when watching Todays events.. People don't seem to learn from their mistakes, even though it happened a year ago or 7 years ago :DI think that children in school should be taught History the way it was and not History which is full of lies :D People without History is nothing, a man should be proud about his country, his country's history, language and mores. :P

personally i hate reading history, especially about wars and fightings. but is it important? yes of course, even if we hate it we should read it to know who we are, and where we came from, and learn from it too. but put us ALWAYS in front of us, NO, this is stupid. because i can read and know about my ancestors but i will do nothing if i kept following what they do, i should do things in my way, and i should build my future and depend on my own. therefor, the future is more important than the past, and doing something in my life that affect my future is absolutely better than keep on hanging in the past.

think history is important only if people have the logic and reasoning skills in order to relate that history to the present and future.

I think this reply winds up entire thread.
As they say those who forgets history makes mistake of repeating. Knowing the limited world scenario, people and other probability parameters we end up repeating many parts of the history anyway. It's not that we have a choice of not repeating it. But it is more of necessity to let things go. We don't have to keep strict eye on history but atleast on things which makes sense sometimes. History is interesting just like physics and chemistry. People can inspire us and their action can also teach us many things. It's just that one should not get blinded with actions of single person and start fan campaign as one for all then that way history becomes religion anyway. People need to have reasoning skills to relate.

In my oppinion i believe history is very important because it help children\adults remember the events of something that happened :) for example 9-11 even though it is a very sad event for U.S history if we did not record this then 100 yrs from now it would be forgotten :( and something stupid might happen there which i believe would be very disrespectful would be a mosque at ground zero i know this was a recent misconception. so history will decide our future :)Peace out, ~caleb

If you are in school, history is probably about the most boring class. However, it is important, because as the old saying goes, history does repeat it'self. Knowing what happened before, how it was handled and were the results the desired ones? If we don't study history, we will make the same stupid mistakes over and over. And not just the history of the world either. We should all be aware too,of our "personal" history. Why did relationships fail, what can we do to make the next time work better, these are important too.

I think history is less important than a lot of people realize. But not in all cases. It really depends on what kind of history, now just the fact it's something that happened before.For example, learning from and understanding our stock market crash (for those in America) is important to keep it from happening in the future. But knowing about something like the number of natural deaths that happened in a certain year is irrelevant -- it's something you won't change.So for me it all boils down to what the subject matter is and how it pertains to the future.

I believe that the importance of history is downplayed by many people (including me sometimes). Let me be more clear. Learning about the United States history is boring to me but may be important to those studying or working in politics. Also, history could also mean learning from your mistakes. If you do something incorrectly in the past, it is generally a good idea to realize what you did wrong and try to do it correctly the next time. If you don't, then you will continue to fail.