xisto Community
inea

What Is The Future Of Operating Programs? What will the new direction be?

Windows Vista and Ubuntu were developed with the idea, that after the installation the user of the computer has about all the programs and functionalities the user might want to use. This results in big and heavy programs. The new direction Microsoft went with Windows 7 is that Microsoft decided to leave out some programs that not every user uses all the time. So a program like Window Movie Maker has to be downloaded seperately. The goal to keep the user attached to the operating program is changed for the option ot make the operating program relatively fast.This leads to the question in which direction operating programs will head. Will they become smaller and faster in the nearby future? Will they after some time become operating programs only with the possibility to download all other applications, drivers and other programs like the browser from the internet? Or will the operating programs evolve in the direction of Google Chromium with a complete focus on the internet? An operating program becomes a sort of big browser with some applications like printing attached to the browser.Linux is a kind of free available. And Google Chromium seems to be available in the future for free too. Windows 7 is pretty expensive. And Windows XP gets maybe outdated and seems hard to find in shops and webshops.This leads to the question wether the operating programs will become less expensive and more and more free?The user interface of Windows was at the start a sort of copy of the operating program of Apple. The way Internet Explorer looks is a sort of copy of Google Chrome. The goal of both browsers is speed too. So this leads to the question what attribute of which operating program will be copied by other operating programs of other factories.

Edited by inea (see edit history)

I highly doubt Windows will ever lose its place in the PC world. No matter how many people move to *nix, the fact is a lot of people (dare I say most?) are afraid of change. I even know of people who refuse to upgrade to Windows 7 from XP because it's different and they feel uncomfortable with that.As for prices, I assume they will remain about the same as they are. And regarding the programs, I think going more and more lightweight is the direction everything is going. Even Ubuntu started that and offer most of the extras as downloads now.Only time will tell though!

No that would never happen. Starting programs will always come with new OS's. Yes they will get faster, and lighter. Getting rid of all the crap they have now thats useless and just slows it down. They need to make a computer that is invincible to crashes.

No that would never happen. Starting programs will always come with new OS's. Yes they will get faster, and lighter. Getting rid of all the crap they have now thats useless and just slows it down. They need to make a computer that is invincible to crashes.

I'm not so sure of that.... I think you're talking about notepad,media player,etc. (those will ALWAYS come with the OS) but I think we are soon gonna get rid of bulk ware like Windows Movie Maker,etc. But I also think that it will become EASY to download the extras with Windows Update and stuff like that.

BTW - As long as there is computers -- there is bound to be crashes.

Personally, I believe Win7 is great, but I only used it for half a week's worth of computing time before I booted over it a copy of Jolicloud (which is based on Ubuntu). Then I found out Jolicloud was a tad "out of order", so I booted the current system, Fedora 13 LXDE, over that.I like LXDE FC 13 for its ease of use, but I think I would have rather stuck with a cloud netbook OS like MeeGo, Moblin, or DSL. On the other hand, I think PC Operating Systems need startup software to properly function. Everyday those of us that monitor military and national-security blogs (including travel writers, since we need to know which part of the world not to explore today) hear of the impending crash and hacker-downing of the global internet, and we're scared, since if everyone goes cloud, and the internet dies in a massive hacker war, then what will happen to the rest of humanity?We're only surviving on this planet because we have PC's that have OS's that don't need internet access to do every single thing. If we lost that capability, we'd either go back to pre-1975 computer technology (in terms of telecommunications capabilities) or we'd be thrust back to the stone age (in terms of global financial communications capabilities).So I think OS makers have to wake up to the fact that if we head down this road, this road leads to species suicide and total perdition.We have to avoid that gruesome future error. I think we'd be better off sticking with an OS, any OS, that has good software on it.Regardless of whether we need to pay for it or what-not.Personally, I am a Linux fan, but that is my opining.Nice to hear from you folks too.Blessed be.

as new notebooks are coming based on chrome os, i think in near feature we will see a huge battle between google and microsoft. cloud computing is something that google has worked on it more than microsoft and i think cloud computing is the feature of all os, they will be only a little software for connecting to internet and the abilities of a os will decrease because everything you want to do will be done in a server. just think you want to debug and compile you c# based app and you turn on your pc and you will open your compiler which is on a server anywhere in the world and you compile it and save it to your virtual hard disk which is on another server and etc ... . so i think as chrome is cloud friendlier than windows so google will win this battle but we should stay and see.

Well seeing as how Vista was almost complete crap, Microsoft managed to redeem themselves with Windows 7. I personally feel that operating systems are moving towards an open source market.

I even know of people who refuse to upgrade to Windows 7 from XP because it's different and they feel uncomfortable with that.

Normally, I would agree with you. I hate change myself. It causes me to have to slow down and look before I click, and find all the buttons and things to click all over again. Hotmail did an update recently, and I still haven't figured out how to do some of the things I used to do. (finding the reply button is a real pain, or not ending up replying to myself, as I have been doing)

But for some strange reason, I was actually interested in Windows 7. It didn't look too different, and some of the features they were showing on the television ads looked usefull. So, when my computer crashed a few months ago, I got another computer with Windows 7 on it. I did like the system, but quickly found out none of my software would work on it. At least the ones I tried wouldn't. I could use my camera editing software, which was a huge problem, it's something I do a lot, and I just don't have the time or patience to learn new programs. I ended up taking that computer back and getting one with XP on it.
I was just wondering if others were having problems using older software with 7? You end up getting out of a lot of money with all these programs, I sure hate to rebuy them ever time Microsoft decides to do an upgrade.