xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

New Computer Oh I hate this

Finally had to replace my old HP computer. I got a reconditioned emachine. I am not real crazy about it right now. It's supposed to have a lot more memory than my old one but I am really worried about one thing that it seems to have a problem with is my Zuma game. It plays, but the balls quiver so badly I can't focus my eyes well enough to shoot at them. It gets especially bad when I hit a blow up ball or the pointer comes on, it's really jerky and almost impossible to follow. And since I haven't even started to load up all my software, I am really afraid when I get everthing else in it and have even less memory it will get worse. So, what is everyones take on the emachine as a computer, and is there anything I can do to fix my game? Or should I take this stupid thing back?I did get windows 7 though, which I was wanting to try. It's driving me crazy, can't find anything, but eventually I will figure it out. Though it will probably take many swear words to do so.

Finally had to replace my old HP computer. I got a reconditioned emachine. I am not real crazy about it right now. It's supposed to have a lot more memory than my old one but I am really worried about one thing that it seems to have a problem with is my Zuma game. It plays, but the balls quiver so badly I can't focus my eyes well enough to shoot at them. It gets especially bad when I hit a blow up ball or the pointer comes on, it's really jerky and almost impossible to follow. And since I haven't even started to load up all my software, I am really afraid when I get everthing else in it and have even less memory it will get worse.
So, what is everyones take on the emachine as a computer, and is there anything I can do to fix my game? Or should I take this stupid thing back?

I did get windows 7 though, which I was wanting to try. It's driving me crazy, can't find anything, but eventually I will figure it out. Though it will probably take many swear words to do so.

1. What are the specifications of your computer? Like processor, speed, builder, Intel or AMD, number, code ,memory cards, factory, brand name, amount of memory space, hard disk space, number and brand and company builder name, main board, factory of the main board, number and code of the main board. That will make it more easy to understand what your computer is able to cope with.
2. What part of Windows 7 is it that you don't understand? Because Windows 7 looks a lot like Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Some more information on the computer might be helpful. If you don't know anything about it, this free and easy to use program will tell you information http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

You can copy and paste everything in the SUMMARY section that pops up and it should be adequate.

Thanks for the link, but I'm a bit leary of downloading anything right now. I did find this info but it wouldn't let me copy.Intel ® Celeron ® CPU 450@2.20 ghz3.00GB64 bit operating systemThings are not getting any better. I can't get my printer to work with the new computer, and now, horror of horrors, my software from my old camera will not install, and I use the program in it to edit my pictures. I tried to find some free softward for photo editing, and did find some, but I suck at figuring out how things work and I can't even find the cropping tool in it. And the software in my old computer brought up a program that would actually delete the pictures in my camera after I downloaded them, which I can't do from my camera.

Ah, your CPU is the bottleneck. Not sure how much you paid for the PC but there was a very nice one at Staples 3 weeks ago. It was quad core with 8 GB of ram and 10 USB 2.0's for $350 brand new.The thing about computers is that you want to comparison shop. Don't just go out and buy one, give yourself a couple weeks of research into trends and sales and you can snag one well below market value.

I don't know how much photo editing you plan on doing, but the free IrfanView is really good for resizing, cropping, brightening files. It doesn't do advanced stuff, but for quick edits nothing beats it. I use it all the time. It's so good in fact, I would describe it as "Must Have" software for a new computer.

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

Thanks guys for all the input. I finally gave up on the computer with windows 7 and went with an HP compaq, with windows xp pro, and things are going much better now. At least my camera program is here and I can work with my pictures again. That is actually my main thing with the computer, taking and emailing pictures of pups for customers, so without that I was in a world of hurt. Right now my only big problem left is getting Office installed. I had it done, but the computer refused to open the files I had the guy that worked on my old computer save. It said I didn't have the right programs to open them with, even though I had just installed office, and it showed the programs to be on the computer. So, I tried removing the programs I just installed, and net chance I get I'll re install and see if it works that way. Otherwise, I will be in big trouble if I can open all the records I have saved. One thing did kind of freak me out when I was setting up the new computer. Always before when I changed, I had to reconfigure my internet connections to my isp. But this time I just pluged it in and was actually about to put in the cd from the phone company, but thought just for fun I'd go ahead and hit the explorer icon, and low and behold, it connected! I just can't figure out how the new computer did that.

Avoid buying Celeron series whenever possible. You can't do graphics or heavy documenting with that processor. About your office files you can use open office or gogole docs to open those files. Google docs support multiple file types so i guess you can work with them online. If the files are from microsoft then you can use online office edition like google docs to edit files. Its free as well.

Thanks for the tip on Google documents. I did try it, but got some error message that said they couldn't be uploaded. So I'm still stuck. I did attatch 2 of the most important ones to an email and sent it to a friend and he copied and pasted and sent them back to me and I saved them in another program, so at least I have those 2. And the good news, while I was at Google, I check in on my ad sence, and FINALLY after over 4 years, I finally broke $100 and hopefully Google will be sending me a check soon. I sure hope they don't screw me out of it after all this time!

if the business is very depending on the computer to work correctly when the budget is big enough it might be worth a thought to consider using 2 computers. like 1 computer for the picture editing and sending and 1 computer for the administration and the posting on this forum. so in that case if 1 of the computers has problems there is always a spare computer to continue the business till the broken computer got repaired. the bargain told in this topic before before seems like a real good buy.if Xisto opens slowly it can be of help to use firefox for a browser.

Edited by inea (see edit history)

Avoid buying Celeron series whenever possible. You can't do graphics or heavy documenting with that processor. About your office files you can use open office or gogole docs to open those files. Google docs support multiple file types so i guess you can work with them online. If the files are from microsoft then you can use online office edition like google docs to edit files. Its free as well.

Today's Celerons are much better than the old ones. They aren't even near the same anymore (it's like comparing a P1 to a P4). I've found that with patience they are good enough for most people's uses (including documents).

You are absolutly right, but of course, the budget thing is always a problem. I did have an old spare computer, but come to find out, it had problems too, so that didn't work for me this time. Hopefully I can get it fixed before this one dies. (or I throw it out the window) I am still having a terrible time. I cannot get some of those files to open, one in particular I really need. I know I made them with my old office suite, but it says the files can't be opened with any of the programs on it. I thought about trying to make a new one, but so far I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I need a data sheet, or chart or whatever you want to call it that has numbers down the side, and that I can enter either text or numbers in the colums. I tried to make one and it wouldn't let me put text in a colum and wanted numbers only. Then awhile ago, I tried to uninstall the old version of front page that was with the older office suite, and though I can see it in my all programs, it is not listed in the uninstall section. I have a much newer version I wanted to use. I tried putting the cd in and it won't install the new one. Just keeps telling me to put in the cd, which I do, but the computer will only open the cd, not run the instalation. I'm going crazy!!!

Today's Celerons are much better than the old ones. They aren't even near the same anymore (it's like comparing a P1 to a P4). I've found that with patience they are good enough for most people's uses (including documents).

I don't think todays celeron makes any difference if our new apps are memory leakers. For example, open office leaks more memory than ms-office and that makes computer much slower. celeron processors are not meant to respond to graphics intensive work that is the truth. yeah you may feel difference with old OS like windows XP on it. but apps have their way of showing result.

I don't think todays celeron makes any difference if our new apps are memory leakers. For example, open office leaks more memory than ms-office and that makes computer much slower. celeron processors are not meant to respond to graphics intensive work that is the truth. yeah you may feel difference with old OS like windows XP on it. but apps have their way of showing result.

Programs with memory leaks are an issue, definitely. But that has nothing to do with the CPU (that would deal with the RAM). Graphics intensive stuff is almost primarily the GPU's deal (or RAM if you lack a good enough GPU).

I did not know about OpenOffice's leak though. I have the feeling Chrome has one as well. One Chrome browser uses up almost 4x as much RAM as an IE or FireFox one on the same websites.