xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
inea

Apple Computer Components MacIntosh Computer parts

Where would components of Apple computers be available? A lot of computer shops and webshops offer components for personal computers that run on Windows and Linux. But there seem not much shops that offer the components that are needed to repair or to build a computer that runs on the operating system of Apple. This raises the question if the rules Apple uses for its operating system allow to use the operating system in another computer that is not built by Apple. It seems a computer factory that built computers that use the operating program of Apple is forbidden by a judge to put the operating program of Apple on their self built computers any longer. The operating program of Apple is available to be bought without a computer of Apple. So that gives the impression that it is possible to use the operating program of Apple on a self built computer. This can be against the rules Apple sets on the use of its operating program though.

Edited by inea (see edit history)

The Apple hardware is quite similar to the PC, as they both use the Intel x86 family of processors. The hardware in older Apple computers would have some difference due to the processor architecture. You can have your Apple computer repaired at an Apple service center, and they can get you the parts that you need.Apple places the restriction that although you can buy a license to the operating system, you have to run the operating system on Apple hardware and not on a PC. Psystar was sued by Apple for doing so, which I believe is the subject of your post too. Psystar's offering did not include a complete set of drivers as the power management when running Mac OS on the PC didn't seem to kick in and slow down the cooling fan when the system temperature dropped.

I see now why you're making bait with your new thread every time i answer your post with quotes. Anyway, i'll try to answer this to you as much as i can.

Where would components of Apple computers be available?

First place is from the shop where you purchased apple computer or accessories. Other places are there depending on which area you live and if there is any apple service center or shop there. Online places ar : newegg, amazon, apple shop, barnes and noble and many other shopping sites.

A lot of computer shops and webshops offer components for personal computers that run on Windows and Linux. But there seem not much shops that offer the components that are needed to repair or to build a computer that runs on the operating system of Apple.

If you've purchased apple computer from one shop in your country then you know where to look for the components. Except for processor/motherboard and graphics card, rest of the accessories that you get in any shop works with apple. You can work any keyboard with apple, provided that you have drivers cd. Same applies with USB/Mouse/Modem and other accessories.

This raises the question if the rules Apple uses for its operating system allow to use the operating system in another computer that is not built by Apple. It seems a computer factory that built computers that use the operating program of Apple is forbidden by a judge to put the operating program of Apple on their self built computers any longer.

Apple OS is closed to it's hardware and it is not sold separately for other vendors or individual buyers of other platform. Apple OS can only be upgraded or purchased by those who own it or want to own the hardware that comes with it.

The operating program of Apple is available to be bought without a computer of Apple. So that gives the impression that it is possible to use the operating program of Apple on a self built computer. This can be against the rules Apple sets on the use of its operating program though.

Yes it is. But there are still some people who do that and that is why we see some virtual machine or emulators for apple.

I see now why you're making bait with your new thread every time i answer your post with quotes.

What does this sentence mean?

Thanks for the replies. Some time ago somebody told me the processor and the main board of an apple computer are different from the processor and the main board of a pc. It seems the apple operating program is programmed for the processor and the main board apple uses in the computers of apple. the shops that sell apple computer only sell complete computers. I didn't see any apple shop that sells apple computer components yet. on a site that compares prices there was an option about the operating program of apple, which was available to buy without the need of buying a computer.

Probably the computer builder that made computers with an apple progran it was called psystar, yeah.

the questions are if it is possible to buy the components to buy a computer that can run on a program of apple and if is is allowed to run a program of apple on a self built computer.

What does this sentence mean?

You started two topics based on my replies to your posts. So you know what it means. Period.

Some time ago somebody told me the processor and the main board of an apple computer are different from the processor and the main board of a pc. It seems the apple operating program is programmed for the processor and the main board apple uses in the computers of apple. the shops that sell apple computer only sell complete computers. I didn't see any apple shop that sells apple computer components yet.

Then that is your ignorance. Have you purchased any apple computer yet ? Do you think getting scratches on Ibook screen forces people to buy new model from shop instead of replacing the screen ? Either you're purposefully stretching simple things for the sake of it or you don't know a thing about apple computers. Apple stores do maintenance and sell individual components as well. They sell operating system boxes, individual components like LCD screens, keyboards, motherboard, processor, mouse etc. Do one thing- put a scratch on your apple product screen and go to store and let me know if they force you to buy new product or they repair that component or replace that particular component.
Head over to apple store if you have more misconceptions.

the questions are if it is possible to buy the components to buy a computer that can run on a program of apple and if is is allowed to run a program of apple on a self built computer.

It is possible to build such computers with apple OS in it. Like other jailbreak hacks it is also possible with apple. In fact many emulators/simulators are using non-apple intel processor and boards to run that. If psystar can do that then any average joe can do that as well.

If topics are opened because of a reaction in another topic it means that the content of the post inspired to open a new topic. The other topic seemed to be less suited to post about the subject that is discussed in the new topic. Just like the comment about the options to buy computer components that are used in a computer built by Apple the posts and comments of manesh2k are inspiring and very helpfull. And because there seems to be a lack of knowledge about Apple computer this topic is opened in order to solve a problem. Because in shops and in webshops are lots of components available that can be used in computer with processors of Intel and of AMD. But which processor is used in a computer built by Apple is not as well known as are the components of computers that run on Windows and Linux.

Edited by inea (see edit history)