xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
linekill

Led Zeppelin Rhythm and Blues and Rock

Do any of you guys listen to Led Zeppelin songs? I grew up listening to their songs on cassette tapes. :P

They're one of the best bands to ever play on stage. Their songs emits aura of passion, shouts of pain and beautiful take on human emotions. Plus great storytelling. It's a perfect collection of musical talents: Jimmy Page's super guitarplaying, Robert Plants Soul Rock voice, exemplary bass by John Paul Jones and the amazing drums by John Bonham.

Posted Image

What are your favorite Led Zeppelin songs?

D'Yer Make'r, Mine are Black Dog, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Immigrant Song, Tangerine, Whole Lotta Love, The Songs Remain the Same, Dazed and Confused, Ten Years Gone and, of course, Stairway to Heaven.

I like Stairway to Heaven too! It's the best song of all time.. according to many magazines like Rollingstone. I put Led Zeppelin somewhere next to The Beatles and Queen. Some of their songs are just too crazy to understand what they're saying and others are too slow and boring. But they DO have some good songs which have meaning in them.

My Top 5 Led Zeppelin Songs -

Stairway to Heavan

Heartbreaker

Whole lotta love

Mothership

Going to california

Led Zeppelin was a fantastic band. I loved how the took Classic American Blues (Being a guitarist, I love the raw sound of classic Blues) and took it to a whole new level and even experimented in other genres. What I like best about Led Zeppelin, is that when you listen to an album you never know what you're going to hear -- their songs are all distinctive. Not only did they experiment with different music genres, they also experimented with their guitar tone. (For example, Lemon Song). In a generation where you turn on the radio and hear music so uncreative and unoriginal, we really have to respect that these guys experimented with their songs and still managed to become legends. It's a testament to the greatness of Zep that I couldn't even attempt to name just a few favourites. I will name some and WHY I think it's good.I Can't Quit You Baby - Pure blues cover, one of their first songs released. Fantastic raw rendition of a classic song and shows where their roots are. Black Mountain Side - Completely awesome Indian influenced instrumental. Song features Viram Jasani on Indian tabla. Having an interest in Indian classical music myself, I'm impressed by the nice collaboration here. How Many More Times - Very bluesy, how can you not be moved by that Bass riff espescially when the guitar kicks in? I love playing this song on guitar and bass.Moby *BLEEP* - Yeah it takes a while to appreciate ~4 minutes of banging on drums, but once you stop and listen to it, it's pretty cool.You Shook Me - I love this, the "Stomp" blues beat, the gritty Bass, the Harmonica, the guitar matching the vocals. Out On Tiles - Cool intro, cool riff, great chorus by Plant.Gallows Pole - Great folk rock cover. Love the bass , guitar, banjo, mandalin, vocals, solo whatever. The song is awesome.Tangerine - I love this too! It's a change from their older songs, but the chorus harmony Plant does is great! The outro is cool too, listen closely. Nice!Bron Y Aur Stomp - How can you not want to stomp your feet to this? I feel like foot stomping just thinking about it.I love playing this song on guitar, it's so fun. I had an old guitar tuned just to play this song (okay, and to experiment with the tuning)Misty Mountain Hop - Cool, I like the harmonizing between the electric keyboard and guitar. Memorable riff.Custard Pie - A real rocker you hear a lot on the radio. Good!Bron Y Aur (no stomp) - I love this song as well. It's a really lovely guitar instrumental that sounds great. Down by the seaside- A real cool relaxing tremelo sound, nice vocals from Plant, and it picks up in parts for an exciting burst of..rock?In my time of dying - I love the slide intro, fantastic!! I love playing this song as well with my slide. House of the holy - Very memorable, it's played all the time. Good rock song by anyones standards.Trampled Under Foot - more Modern Zep sound, I hear this a lot on the radio. It's good too. Wanton Song- Fun riff to play on the guitar. Boogie with Stu - A weird one, but the intro seems pretty memorable to me and the rest of the song is kind of neat.Achilles Last Stand - I love this real fast rock song. Nobody's Fault but Mine - This is a great modern bluesy rock song. A great intro to test your guitars phase effects out with... I've even heard Blues musician's cover it. It's that good!Candy Store Rock - Here Plant is influenced by those old echo-ey rockabilly type songs (I think) It's interesting!.WHat is and never should be - This is a cool song, I like it. Interesting use of stereo panning.When the levee breaks. Great!! I love the harmonica, the drums,vocals, guitar.. it's just all around great.Your time is gonna come - I like this song, there's a lot to like about it as well.Over the hills and far away - Another one of my favourites to play on guitar acoustic or electric. I love this song!Battle of Evermore - A celtic sounding song, I love the mandolin especially.All of my love - Great song, notable for it's Synth solo which was one of the few things I learned to play on my keyboard.D'yer Maker - Obviously reggae influenced but not at all like Reggae, so it's pretty original. A fun song to play on guitar, if you can mange to play it (a look on youtube shows most people don't play it nearly as good)Black Dog - Notable for being like, a great song for a newbie guitarist to play. I loved playing this riff.Dazed and Confused - This ones great. Just watch it live (on video) to see them really zoning out to this great song. I always loved how Plant and Page did those vocal-guitar harmonies. Plant uses a bow here, for interesting effects. Makes me wish I had a violin bow. Heart Breaker - Well holy crap, this is like a Guitarists staple. What guitarist can't play this? The solo is like pure "Fret wanking" at it's best (for the classic rock era).. inspired thousands of guitarists including myself. Ramble on - A nother popular one,a nd a good one. Plant does nice vocals here.Rock and Roll - Over played song to death, but it's pretty good. A good song for guitarists to learn a basic blues rhythm in a rock way and have fun with.Lemon song - Interesting use of octaves (I think) and interesting to hear their different guitar tone. It's fun to play.Stairway to heaven - Yeah, everyone like this. I LOVE how it builds up to a real intense solo. Whole lotta love - Another one a guitarist should know. One of the first songs I learned to play on guitar. I like the interesting "zoning out" they do shortly into the song. Then Page comes in with another memorable if short lead guitar part.Immigrant Song - Another great song with a memrable Guitar riff, Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! BONUS!! In the Mood by robert plant. - I think this is a really cool Plant song. BONUS X 2Surprisingly, Plant's collaboration with Country super-star Alison Krauss produced a pretty good album : Raising Sand. Jimmy Page does the guitar on of the tracks, which not surprisingly is one of my favourites of the album. It's interesting to see Plant do different music.Well I dont' even know if I named them all, but that's "a few" of my favourites, Hahaha!

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)