xisto Community
ezincenter

How To Protect Ur Content

I have a client who wants to sell content on the web. He wants the text and images to be protected against piracy, and he also wants to determine how long the content can be previewed before purchase. Does anyone out there know of any solution to meet his demands?Kindly let me know

You can't. Anything you put out there can be captured.Example; two weeks ago somebody began promoting what was essentially a pro-pedofile site on another forum I am active in. It had a lot of script and Flash protecting the site from american viewers and specifically from copying. Some of the other users on the forum could not read it and verify I was justified in chastizing this b@st@rd. They asked me to send them excerpts from the site, which the owner (who by then claimed he was not the owner at all) said could not be cut and pasted.I captured the despicable cartoon via PrintScreen - Paste into Paintshop.I copied the vile content by opening the page in IE, then going into my cache directory and saving the local copy as a text file. I sent it to the other users. Pedo never showed his face again.You can throw a "rightclick script" at it; I will open the page in Netscape with JavaScript disabled. You can hide it in Flash, Quicktime, PHP or whatever; as long as it's on my screen for me to view, I can find a way to copy it. In fact, it will be a challenge!

When it comes to images, I think the best you can do is to only show a smaller image and have a big SAMPLE written across it. You can have the word semi-opaque, so people can still kind of see the image, but no one wants to have an image with SAMPLE written across it.For the text, you could show excerpts of the texts, of course depending a bit of what kind of text it is.But timed previews don't sound very good to me. You won't really protect your content, but more importantly you'll annoy your potential customers.

Yea i agree with bgrn. That the only way it seems to work.

Like This! this is made for somebody else but it has Brain Productions on it. Lol I encourage people to steal it. More advertising for me :D

Posted Image

youc an printscreen anything so its easy to steal anybody's work even though its time preview.

Good luck

time preview with do nothing against printscreen as mentioned above, if you have the new msn you can see their sample pictures but if your try to right click them or copy and paste it doesnt let you, so you simply go into your internet cache and find the picture file, its that simple. the web is not owned by anyone and its content cannot be protected from people. best thing to do is only show parital or 'damaged' content.

Adobe has document management software that is pretty secure. Some documents are time sensitive where they will not open after a defined period. In addition, there are other options like passwords, call home, and I think even mac address checking.I'm not sure if they have protection against print screen. It is possible since adobe is external to MSIE and they could simply disable the printscreen function on the document area.You can goto the adobe website and read up on it. Maybe send them an email with your questions. They will know more than me.

As far as text content goes, there is a free service available that monitors the web for websites who may have copied and published the original content on your website. Here is the link:

http://www.copyscape.com/

After you register with them and after they spider your site, they will regularly scour the web for possible duplicate content and report it to you. I haven't tried them personally but from what Iam hearing, they are good. Try them out - nothing to lose because the service is free.

As for images, I don't think you can protect them anymore than the usual methods employed, you know digital signing, imposing your copyright/site URL on the images themselves.

As far as text content goes, there is a free service available that monitors the web for websites who may have copied and published the original content on your website. Here is the link:

http://www.copyscape.com/

After you register with them and after they spider your site, they will regularly scour the web for possible duplicate content and report it to you. I haven't tried them personally but from what Iam hearing, they are good. Try them out - nothing to lose because the service is free.

As for images, I don't think you can protect them anymore than the usual methods employed, you know digital signing, imposing your copyright/site URL on the images themselves.

52020[/snapback]

Or put some "WATERMARK" texts in it. So that if they still "CAPTURE" it via print screen, they will still see your copyright.

Here's a funny site that TRYS to run away from my grasp... I've already got the source code and pictures (and deleted them of course! Copyright remember?)

No seriously, try copying the content. It's pretty difficult, but it can be done. It proves that there is nothing impossible to steal on the net.

http://www.weblockpro.com/home.php?s=&t= (try refreshing the page if it doesn't work.. it's one of the scripts they use)

Edited by Dooga (see edit history)