xisto Community
Dee

Master Re-Setting A Laptop. [Toshiba)

Alright so recently I received a toshiba laptop from a friend. I can't use it though because it asks for an admin password. I searched online to find a way to remove it, and tried everything I read. Well, I ended up messing around with the BOOT MANAGER, and now everytime I turn the laptop on it goes straight to BOOT MANAGER. Can anyone help me to remove this, or how to just reset the whole laptop? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

Alright so recently I received a toshiba laptop from a friend. I can't use it though because it asks for an admin password. I searched online to find a way to remove it, and tried everything I read. Well, I ended up messing around with the BOOT MANAGER, and now everytime I turn the laptop on it goes straight to BOOT MANAGER. Can anyone help me to remove this, or how to just reset the whole laptop? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

If it's using Windows do this:

Start > Run > msconfig

Choose "Boot" from there and you will find all settings related to the boot sector. You can change the default choice, lower the timer, etc.

Based on what you said what you'll want to do is to remove the other boot sectors if possible. If not, choose the default and lower the timer to something like 1 second. This will make it to where almost as soon as it pops up it automatically moves forward.

The best thing to do is to reinstall the operating system. You can either buy it on a cd from any major computer store or download and burn it illegally. If you call anyone who fix computers, they should have it. However, lets note that reinstalling the operating system will delete all files that are not default.

Edited by Harlot (see edit history)

If it's using Windows do this:
Start > Run > msconfig

Choose "Boot" from there and you will find all settings related to the boot sector. You can change the default choice, lower the timer, etc.

Based on what you said what you'll want to do is to remove the other boot sectors if possible. If not, choose the default and lower the timer to something like 1 second. This will make it to where almost as soon as it pops up it automatically moves forward.

I'm unable to do that because once I turn the laptop it asks for password (since I put one in the BOOT MANAGER) then afterwards it goes to SETUP UTILITY. It won't let me do anything from there. I can't escape from it, so I'm unable to go to the log in window!

The best thing to do is to reinstall the operating system. You can either buy it on a cd from any major computer store or download and burn it illegally. If you call anyone who fix computers, they should have it. However, lets note that reinstalling the operating system will delete all files that are not default.

Well, would I be able to find the program online for free?

I'm unable to do that because once I turn the laptop it asks for password (since I put one in the BOOT MANAGER) then afterwards it goes to SETUP UTILITY. It won't let me do anything from there. I can't escape from it, so I'm unable to go to the log in window!

If you're being asked for a BIOS password then why not ask your friend what the password is?

Well, would I be able to find the program online for free?

If you're looking for a free operating system you can download online, try one of the following:
Kubuntu
Ubuntu
Fedora
openSUSE

If the issue is a BIOS password (you said administrator one, which means Windows), the only way to reset the password is to either get it from your friend or reset the CMOS (pull out the battery in the motherboard for 30 seconds or do until it resets).Reinstalling the operating system won't have any effect on the password because the password is set *before* it even starts up the system.