xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Little Asterisk

Apple The New World Leader In Software Insecurity

To summarize; I still dislike Apple's philosophy of work and the "War" against Adobe, you still like Apple, we haven't achieved much with our discussion, but what can you do? :). The "byproduct" will be us making a few MyCENTS more, I hope, and enlightening someone who will visit the topic later.

Lol, i don't like apple or microsoft or linux. I like business lol. I admire the innovation every commercial OS comes up with. I don't know how you got the impression that i like apple and hate linux. I was clear in almost every of my open source or linux based discussion about this.

And don't worry about mycents. We'll not be earning more in this mycent downtime. I don't expect more than 1 $ for most of my posts in this downtime. Especially our lengthy posts are not rewarded. Besides that there is bug that deleted our replies so who know how many of my todays posts will remain here. Anyway, we'll drop the discussion here.

Lol, i don't like apple or microsoft or linux. I like business lol. I admire the innovation every commercial OS comes up with. I don't know how you got the impression that i like apple and hate linux. I was clear in almost every of my open source or linux based discussion about this.

Naah, I didn't get the impression you dislike Linux or Microsoft, I just got the impression you like Apple. Obviously, I was wrong. But at least I know now we both like innovation in software

And don't worry about mycents. We'll not be earning more in this mycent downtime. I don't expect more than 1 $ for most of my posts in this downtime. Especially our lengthy posts are not rewarded. Besides that there is bug that deleted our replies so who know how many of my todays posts will remain here. Anyway, we'll drop the discussion here.

I know the myCENT system acts kind of different (like a drunk boxer :D) now, but at least it's back on. We'll drop the discussion HERE. :)

Couldn't have said it better myself. Business is what it's all about.

To me, I don't believe in "monopolies." I feel that if one company is able to dominate the market, they *earned* that right. Companies shouldn't be punished for coming up with such a smart strategy that nobody can beat them -- that's like fighting a war and claiming one side got too powerful so the war has to be called off. In fact, that's exactly what happens to businesses; I remember when Microsoft was classified as a monopoly because people depended on them -- well Bill Gates made something others didn't -- I don't see why he should be punished for it. Anyone else could have come up with the idea before him but they didn't. It's not *his* fault.

My dislike of companies like Apple/Microsoft isn't anything to do with their successes/failures -- it has to do with their mentality. Honestly I would have no issue with either one of them if they didn't harass users that are legitimate. Think about it like this; you go out and pay $500 for one of their programs (Office, for example) and need it on three of your PC's. You get bothered by having to spend an hour on the phone explaining to support why you need a PC key to reinstall/install the system. Yet the pirates pay $0 *and* don't have to go through the harassment over the phone. It's like they are PUNISHING those who pay for their software and REWARDING those who steal it. That is my only issue with either company.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Business is what it's all about.

To me, I don't believe in "monopolies." I feel that if one company is able to dominate the market, they *earned* that right. Companies shouldn't be punished for coming up with such a smart strategy that nobody can beat them -- that's like fighting a war and claiming one side got too powerful so the war has to be called off. In fact, that's exactly what happens to businesses; I remember when Microsoft was classified as a monopoly because people depended on them -- well Bill Gates made something others didn't -- I don't see why he should be punished for it. Anyone else could have come up with the idea before him but they didn't. It's not *his* fault.

My dislike of companies like Apple/Microsoft isn't anything to do with their successes/failures -- it has to do with their mentality. Honestly I would have no issue with either one of them if they didn't harass users that are legitimate. Think about it like this; you go out and pay $500 for one of their programs (Office, for example) and need it on three of your PC's. You get bothered by having to spend an hour on the phone explaining to support why you need a PC key to reinstall/install the system. Yet the pirates pay $0 *and* don't have to go through the harassment over the phone. It's like they are PUNISHING those who pay for their software and REWARDING those who steal it. That is my only issue with either company.

Ooooh, now you've reminded me of a funny story of the million plus versions of Windows 7 (and Vista, I suppose, but I'm not 100 percent sure), where your upgrades go through like this:

[The user] I want to upgrade.

[The Operating System] Sure, wait a minute... Erm, two seconds -that is.

[The user] OK.

[The Operating System] Congragulations, you've just succesfully upgraded your Operating System to Windows (I don't know) Enterprise. Click OK to continue.

[The user] Whaaaa... That was quick (Stopwatch == 5 seconds)

I have paraphrased the story a bit, but I think you get my point.

As for the piracy thing; Well, the companies have no control over it. Just remember the infamous DRM protection Ubisoft utilized in some of its newer titles (if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about; you basically need to be conneected on line to Ubisoft's servers in order to play, for instance, Assasin's Creed 2 - if you aren't, you can't even save the darn game!). There'll always be people who make software and people who hack it. And I think that's a good thing in a way since it'll make software companies go further and try out new technologies and electronic devices.

Even the Ubisoft DRM got cracked, as CNET reported recently (well, in April - it's here: https://www.cnet.com/news/ubisofts-controversial-always-on-pc-drm-hacked/ ), which means nothing is untouchable.

Posted Image

My point from all of this being; I respect all of these companies. Sure, I dislike that Apple has that philosophy of theirs (we'll sue anyone who uses anything remotely like our logo - the image above and http://bc.ctvnews.ca/apple-threatens-lawsuit-over-b-c-school-s-logo-1.330840 ) and that Adobe prices their products in the range of $2500 per suite (and around $1000 per individual product) and I absolutely hate Internet Explorer, but I still respect all of these companies a lot.

To make a business out of your garage is huge, and it's a great goal to achieve. When you look at Microsoft during its early days, everything suddenly becomes clearer to you: :D

Posted Image

Now, you cannot say that didn't make your day (punk :D)

Bill Gates was *not* poor like people usually try to claim. In fact, his family had millions. His success story is like that of Google (people speak of how Google was created by a ~22 year old as a computer science project in college). What they neglect to mention is that Google made it big when the creator's friend gave him a business investment of a little over $15 million.Bill Gates didn't quite have that much to spend, but with $1 mil anyone can make things in their "garage."I don't have an issue with how much programs cost; my issue is with their cost vs. the harassment you go through to USE them. Even at $5 you're still paying $5 to be harassed by the company, whereas piracy would allow you to have LESS trouble, NO harassment, AND be completely free. And people wonder why piracy is so prevalent.I do know all about the DRM. There are many off-line single player games now that require you to be online while playing -- ONLY if you paid for it. On the pirated versions you get the SAME game without the online requirement. This is the part that completely baffles me.

Speaking of monopoly, patents both microsoft and apple sued each other on innovation. At start OS design was copied by microsoft then later taskbar and similar things were copied by apple. Then comes linux where window managers were mix of windows & linux desktop. Gnome which takes a lot of it's appearance from mac. While KDE's release looks like older (98/ME/2K) release of windows. Innovation is based on copying each other. I'm of opinion that every patented or monopolized concept should be open after 10 years of market domination. This will allow more innovation instead of restriction because of patents/monopoly.

Now coming to topic of bill/google. Google & Microsoft started from funding from others so they were lucky unlike many other top companies like dell which was started in garage with less investment than google/ms.

(we'll sue anyone who uses anything remotely like our logo - the image above and

Lol. In asia more than thousand small business,clinics use logo of apple. I know that cause there is clinic in my city where they have apple logo :D

Speaking of monopoly, patents both microsoft and apple sued each other on innovation. At start OS design was copied by microsoft then later taskbar and similar things were copied by apple. Then comes linux where window managers were mix of windows & linux desktop. Gnome which takes a lot of it's appearance from mac. While KDE's release looks like older (98/ME/2K) release of windows. Innovation is based on copying each other. I'm of opinion that every patented or monopolized concept should be open after 10 years of market domination. This will allow more innovation instead of restriction because of patents/monopoly.

They all copy from each other now even more than they did from ten years ago. :D

Lol. In asia more than thousand small business,clinics use logo of apple. I know that cause there is clinic in my city where they have apple logo :D

Whoa, good thing Apple doesn't go all the way to Asia to search for logos, because you'd be in pretty big trouble if they did. :D

Bill Gates didn't quite have that much to spend, but with $1 mil anyone can make things in their "garage."

Okay, I'll give you exactly one million dollars, and you go to your garage and bring me a product that's even more innovative than the computer. :D

My point is; even though he was (maybe) rich, he didn't start drinking, doing parties or drugs or something worse. Instead, he actually went to his garage and invented something that we use even now, a few decades away from that point in time. That's for respect, no matter if he was rich or poor. Because he basically went from (I'm inventing numbers) $50 million to (now I'm not inventing) making (personally) $50 billion and a multi-billion company.

That's just how I see it.

They all copy from each other now even more than they did from ten years ago. :D

Whoa, good thing Apple doesn't go all the way to Asia to search for logos, because you'd be in pretty big trouble if they did. :D

Okay, I'll give you exactly one million dollars, and you go to your garage and bring me a product that's even more innovative than the computer. :D

My point is; even though he was (maybe) rich, he didn't start drinking, doing parties or drugs or something worse. Instead, he actually went to his garage and invented something that we use even now, a few decades away from that point in time. That's for respect, no matter if he was rich or poor. Because he basically went from (I'm inventing numbers) $50 million to (now I'm not inventing) making (personally) $50 billion and a multi-billion company.

That's just how I see it.

He does not have $57 billion. That is his *net worth*. Miley Cyrus is worth almost 1/3 that and didn't even do anything "innovative."

The Harry Potter series' net worth is worth around 10 billion and it's not even near as important as the computer.

The value means nothing. Many things that have changed our lives are worth almost nothing.

I brought up how much he had because in this world, no matter how many great ideas people have, if they don't have the money to back them they will never come to light. I've heard many people who even have *proof concepts* of things that would help our lives (converting vehicles from gas to water, purifying water, electricity generation, etc.) that won't come to light solely because they can't find anyone to find the $80k+ required to get the items produced. Had Bill Gates been poor, the computer also would not be where it is right now. It is there because he had the money and a very high education (people bring up how he dropped out of college -- he did but his father was a genius, as was he. The amount he was learning in school was very sub-par to what his parents had been teaching him at home).

Yes I agree - it is too easy to sit back and gripe about companies like M/S and that is actually counter productive because the real points of complaint become lost in the noise.As for apple - I've always respected their design and technology, though I am not fashion or style conscious enough to own their kit (I have an old walkman somewhere - that is all I think).However, recent events with the Iphone4 are beggining to hurt Apple. When it is discovered that a phone costing ?600 plus drops the signal everytime a finger touches a part of the case, then the correct response is 'hell, sorry, we'll sort it'. Apple's response was 'common to all phones, no issue, hold it differently'.Bad move. People buy Iphones for the look more than the functionality and the only option Apple have offered their customers (now they have admitted that there is a real problem) is a horrible case to put the phone in. Who is going to pay 600 quid for a sexy style icon and then put it into a plain wrapper?bad times ahead methinks.