xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JonnyA

Edible Chalk?

One question I would like to ask is "are you feeling an urge to eat chalk. If so this can be related to a mineral deficiency. No major harm to your stomach might not digest to well, but the chalk has a lot of flakes and powder that can cause problems with your lungs. Women usually see this problem during pregnancy.

I'm no doctor, but I've a strong feeling your body is not going to like it. Sure, you are not going to die because of it but your organs are going to have to work extra hard to get it out. And in case they don't do a perfect job, which is likely as they are not expecting loads of chalk to be eaten, you're going to have to deal with things like kidney stones. I'd suggest you stick to the normal diet instead of experimenting :)

Eeegads, why would you even think about eating chalk? I'd think you'd choke on the dry dusty stuff before you could even get it chewed up and swallowed. You would sure work the daylights out of your saliva glands if you tried. I'm with the other poster, I'm betting you have a mineral deficiency. Better start taking some calcium supplements, that would be my best guess for what you may be lacking. But if you do eat it, I doubt it would hurt you. Unless of course you do choke on it. I don't suppose it has much of a flavor either. Let us know how it goes, ok?

people who crave it are just iron deficient. it's why some people actually eat dirt. i highly suggest not eating chalk, but taking some iron supplements to reduce the craving. also, there really isn't any proof that eating chalk causes kidney stones. eating chalk, from my own research is not unhealthy.....but eating a lot of it might have some side affects just like eating too much of anything. best bet is to still supplement your body with iron suppliments. i also highly suggest you ask a doctor about this. people like me and others aren't really qualified to answer such questions.sheepdog- actually, they say chalk does have taste and the colored chalk tastes the worst. i am not going to test that one :)

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

first, i thought you are not serious in here or you are bringing up some big issue that related to eating chalks, but seems i was wrong and you like eating chalks!!well, in my opinion, everything that not made for eating then we should not eat it. if it was a food or possible to be eaten then they wouldn't use it for writing right??so you should stop doing that and see a doctor, he will know better than us all.

First of all, I don't really see him 'craving' to eat chalk. It seems more like a question asked out of curiosity for me. Something like, "What would you do if aliens were to land in your court yard?". Well, I do have a few things in mind but its not like I keep waiting or 'craving' around the corner for them. And no, I am not a cannibal (assuming the aliens are .. umm.. humane)

:( Please say if eating chalks really harmful and does it get digested in the stomach?I m very much addicted to eat chalks.Please suggest...