xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chini13

Gujarati Khaman Dhokla Indian dish

This is a famous Indian dish which is easy to cook and it is like a steamed cake...not a sweet one.Cooking time 20 minsIngredients For batterGram Flour -1 cup sugar- 1 spoonLemon-1 lemonYogurt - to mix the flourOil - 1 tablespoonFor the tempering1 tablespoon oil (mustard oil or ghee)1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds (til)2 green chillies, chopped1/4 tablespoon-turmeric1 tablespoon -ginger1 finely chopped oniona pinch asafoetida (hing)SaltMethod Mix all the ingredients of the batter in a bowl adding half yogurt and half water.Add it slowly and mix it well s that no lumps are formed in it.Remember that the batter has to be flowing a little bit thinner than a cake batter.Keep the batter for 10 minutes to rise.When the mixture rises, pour it into a greased container and steam for about 10 to 15 minutes.Bring it out and cool it downFor the tempering put the oil in the pan and then temper the mustard seeds sesame seeds and asafoetida asdafoetida.Add the chillies, ginger and onion and fry them.Add some salt, turmeric to it. Now add some water to this so that it can easily spread on the prepared Khaman or the steamed cake.If u want to add some lemon can add it now.Cut the cake pieces and put this prepared mixture on to it.Garnish it with some shredded coconut powder and some coriander leaves.

hmmm, it looks good chini, even i am not that kind who like to cook but i will give it a try later. at least to see the taste of mixing ginger with onion :P . i like mixing different things and get unique taste. but i don't think i have all the ingredients for example, turmeric, so can replace it with another thing?

and thank you for sharing.

I'll have to get some of these ingredients before I can make it but it looks good :)I remember hearing of asfoetida.. "Devil's Dung" as it is known..but I don't know where to find it :P