xisto Community
Raptrex

Psp Square Button Problem

Nearly 5,000 units are returned to Sony for buggy button; Kutaragi unapologetic about the handhelds design.

TOKYOAbout 4,800 Japanese PSPs have been returned to Sony due to problems with the handhelds square button, according to a recent interview with Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi in Nikkei Business magazine.

Kutaragi acknowledged that the button is less responsive than the others, in part because its so close to the PSPs 480x272 screen. Because there isnt enough room to put the square buttons detection switch directly underneath, its off to the right, making it less responsiveand sometimes causing it to stick.

Nikkei Business reported that, to date, .6 percent of the 800,000 shipped units have been returned to Sony for repair. Kutaragi was unapologetic about the issue: This is the design that we came up with. There may be people that complain about its usability, but thats something which users and game software developers will have to adapt to. I didnt want the PSPs LCD screen to become any smaller than this, nor did I want its machine body to become any larger.

The buttons location is [architectured] on purpose, Kutaragi added. Its according to specifications. This is something that weve created, and this is our specification. There was a clear purpose to it, and it wasnt a mistake.

Offering additional testimony praising the handheld, Kutaragi said, I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architects blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. Its the same as that.

By Staff GameSpot

POSTED: 01/24/05 02:52 PM PST

heres a image of the inside of the psp

Posted Image

this FRILLIN sucks

and games better not use the square button much

its not that it doesnt work its just not extremely responsive like the others. i find games dont use the [] button alot currently, especially shooters. it can be a jump tho some times. i reallly dont see this being a HUGE issue and basicly he said there arent gunna do anything about it so.. no use complaining

I'm sure if they get too many complaints from people who can't addapt to it. They may make some with a more responsive square button? Well who knows. It's been out in Japan for ages and there is no articles in gaming sites that say the Japanese are getting tired of it...

Sony Fixes PSP FlawJapanese units' square button woes solved
by Christian Nutt
02/22/2005
Sony has announced that a flaw in the PSP's manufacturing process that could lead to stuck square buttons has been resolved. According to PlayStation.jp's support section, the molding of the casing was the problem. Units manufactured in the new year no longer suffer from the problem, thanks to new procedures; older units that did were under warranty and have been repaired or replaced by Sony.

Sony has previously claimed that only 0.6% of the units shipped last year were repaired for square button problems. Anecdotal evidence suggests the problem is more widespread. Either way, it's now resolved, which means that statistics are largely moot.

they finally fixed it

http://psp.1up.com/news/sony-fixes-psp-flaw

there are also more problems. users may experience an air bubble on their lcd screen. along with the fact that there might be DEAD PIXELS on the screen. another problem is that if u twist the psp (ex. ur playing a game and ur very into it. ur D-PAD hand pulls that side and ur x triangle square etc button sided hand pushes.) the back of the psp (the part where u put the game disc) will pop out. the disc will acuually pop out.these problems are rare but dont try to twist ur brand new psp.

Well can I just say that when reading OPS2 (Official Playstation2 Magazine) Febuary edition, they said that on their PSP none of the glitches or problems turned out to be true. And the square button on their console works absolutley fine. So, can I just say that if there is a problem, it's evidently hardly something worrying about. So no worries people!

well sonny are by no doubt really good game makers but they are twice as good as ripping people of, its certein that the psp is so sexy but, well the price tag and that of the games and accessories and memory cards, its like someone living you int the desert with food worth for only a week.as much as i like sony i jus dont like the style.

I know this was a while ago, but I must say I have never experienced any of these problems (barring one , hardly noticable, dead pixel). That is however becuase my PSP is fairly new, so these problems have been sorted out. I will agree that Kutaragi was abit foolish (arrogant, too) to claim that it was a design choice.P.S. about the twisting thing, you know you really shouldn't be twisting your PSP, anyway (now maybe I need to work out more) I really cannot twist my PSP (not that I would) I'ts pretty rigid. and The new ones (the white ones especially) are supposed to be even better quality.

i havent had that problem. I really hope i never do. But i do have a few dead pixels. About 2 or 3. Nothing that really gives me a problem. But i have seen some people that have had to return it from that problem.

buttons!!!

Psp Square Button Problem

My home button doesn't work either does my volume buttons work what do I do. The warreetee stick got damageed

-question by Gary

I am superbly disappointed in Sony. I bought a PSP when they first came out and sold it back a year later for lack of any good games (in my opinion, purely MY opinion). In the meantime, I was pretty happy with my PS2, even though I ran through about 5 of them, and my PS3, which is awesome. But just recently, I noticed a good influx of games to the handheld. Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, God Of War: Chains Of Olympus, and many others. I purchased my PSP at the same time as FFVII:CC, and made it about 40 hours into the game when my brother and I noticed that the Square button was slightly unresponsive. That's cool, I can live with that. The game didn't require much of the Square button, just the map. But during GoW:CoO, it became a problem. For those of you that don't know, Kratos loves the Square button. It's used in almost all combos, magic castings, and button-prompt mini-games (of which there are a ton). Now, the button does not work unless I jam on it about 30 times..and then Sony had the audacity to tell me that they fixed the problem years ago, and that they would take a look at my PSP if I sent it in with $80, not including S&H, and the recei[pt. I refuse to pay $80 for a defective product that originally cost me $150+ to begin with. I always knew that Sony was a money grubber, but what major corporation isn't, you know? What I never would have imagined was that they would so blatantly disregard their customer's satisfaction in search of more money. Being a loyal customer of Sony for years, thru the PS, PSOne, PS2, PS3, PSP, many games, and much more, I had hoped for a little more consideration. Should have known. I am proud to say that I have been a gamer since I could hold a controller, and am a proud owner of every console I have ever owned, with the exception of the PSP.I hope that this is not a glimpse of things to come with Sony. If so, I will be playing my PC and XBox 360 full time..(Rant over)All that being said, is there anyone out there who can help me fix my PSP or direct me to a site that will help me do so? I don't care if I void my warranty. In fact, I consider the warranty moot in the light that Sony doesn't care about it anyway. So please, someone, help me enjoy my games once more.Thank you.

I haven't personally run into this problem (I've has the X key being overresponsive - if i placed my finger on it as lightly as I could, it would press!), but I would take it apart to see if there's anything out of the ordinary. I haven't done this for a while (I'm fine with my blue faceplate), so it's best you google for some place that tells you how to do it. If I recall correctly, there's a lot of screws, even under the battery (under the warranty sticker?). When you're putting it back together, the screws will need to be very tight otherwise the analog stick and the memory card might not function properly. If you do decide to take it apart, then best of luck because it was fairly annoying the first time for me, and a few screws were nearly misplaced :)

How to fix my psp?Psp Square Button ProblemHow to fix psp buttons if you didn't buy it from the store. I bought mine at gamestop and I can;t take it back my reciet expired-reply by Shonnie Cobbs