xisto Community
BCD

Who Lives Longer, Vegetarians Or Non-Vegetarians?

Who lives longer?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you think about this? Whether a person living vegetarian life lives longer or a person living non-vegetarian life lives longer? Please choose either one of the choice, with authoritative proof to support your choice.Note: Assume unhealthy habits like smoking, drinking are not taken into consideration.

Edited by BCD (see edit history)

I'm thinking meat eaters live a lot longer because vegans have this bad habit of getting in meat eaters faces and pestering them about how cruel they are for eating the poor little animals, so the meat eaters bite their head off! :D

Both have problems. Meat eaters experience issues due to fat, grease, etc. whereas vegetarians experience issues because some of our proteins can *only* be obtained via meat. Therefore with no meat you're malnourished.Either way you're facing a negative.Along with this, most people don't die due to anything related to their food. Your genes and environmental factors count for more than anything.

I think vegetarians have better living than non vegetarians as they are less prone to obesity,piles,teeth problems, heart diseases etc..Now im not talking about the longer life but a better life.It is true that the vegetarian food contains more of the fiber in comparison to the meat which is useful for the body as the food rich in fiber can easily be digested and is less burden to the body.But i think the way we cook the food also matters a lot..if vegetables are cooked more then the natural minerals and the vitamins can vanish and they this is of no use to the body.It has been observed that the body of non-vegetarian animals contain 10 times more amount of hydrochloric acid than that of vegetarian ones, but human body should not have the same amount of hydrochloric acid. This establishes the fact human body is basically meant for a vegetarian diet.Being a vegetarian myself i would say be vegetarian and stop killing animals for food.

I think vegetarians have better living than non vegetarians as they are less prone to obesity,piles,teeth problems, heart diseases etc..Now im not talking about the longer life but a better life.It is true that the vegetarian food contains more of the fiber in comparison to the meat which is useful for the body as the food rich in fiber can easily be digested and is less burden to the body.But i think the way we cook the food also matters a lot..if vegetables are cooked more then the natural minerals and the vitamins can vanish and they this is of no use to the body.It has been observed that the body of non-vegetarian animals contain 10 times more amount of hydrochloric acid than that of vegetarian ones, but human body should not have the same amount of hydrochloric acid. This establishes the fact human body is basically meant for a vegetarian diet.Being a vegetarian myself i would say be vegetarian and stop killing animals for food.

Animals are made to be eaten -- it's part of the circle of life. Every religion condones it, as does nature itself (look how many carnivores there are -- try to tell a lion to start eating only vegetables).

The view that eating animals is cruel or whatever is ridiculous. If it wasn't supposed to happen, sharks wouldn't eat fish, lions/tigers/bears wouldn't eat other animals, snakes wouldn't prey on other animals, etc. You can literally start listing thousands of predatory animals -- I'm sure they never have rallys about whether or not eating meat is "right" or not. It's called nature.

It is my view that being vegetarian is good......but the point you are putting here is even lion kills animal..lion cannot do farming :P :P and what we have is so much of food vegetables all around..It is my personal opinion that vegetarianism is better for health then why should kill someone because it tastes nice :)

why should kill someone because it tastes nice :)

Yes... that IS why we kill cows, pigs , fish, chicken and all the other animals we eat... to simply eat them, they don't have to taste good really. It is a mode of survival, we eat other animals to simply continue our existence, it's a part of the primitive brain. Humans WILL do ANYTHING if they have to survive in extreme conditions... your mind might not but your body will move on its on.

Humans WILL do ANYTHING if they have to survive in extreme conditions... your mind might not but your body will move on its on.

See u put the condition ..THis is what iam saying..for the survival u can have anything even i would hate to die starving..i only said if just for taste you r doing so..it is wrong

It is a mode of survival, we were eating other animals to simply continue our existence, it's a part of the primitive brain.

Yep. Killing animals for food is a mode of survival, not a mode of living. And we no longer need to do that. In today's scenario meat costs more than fresh vegetables and staples, and there are thousands of varieties of them to choose from, so a person cannot say that he/she kills another animal for food to survive. If lions had intellectual brains, had religious views, it wouldn't been killing other animals today, it would grow and eat fresh vegetables and fruits to live. The number of people falling in the category of "we" in the quoted statement is almost nil today.

Also, the second part of the quoted text, yes its a part of primitive brain, but when that brain has developed, has intelligence, follows some religion it should be no longer a part of this.

Every religion condones it

No religion preaches to kill animals for food, and never condones for it.

Consider an scenario when I am in a situation of survival for life, deserted alone, I do not find anything to eat, no animals no plants, but another human being, I would kill him and eat him, and then I finally survive the ordeal, police arrests me for killing another human being, but why? I would have killed him, so that I could survive as per the 'law of nature' described by many forum members here.

Yep. Killing animals for food is a mode of survival, not a mode of living. And we no longer need to do that. In today's scenario meat costs more than fresh vegetables and staples, and there are thousands of varieties of them to choose from, so a person cannot say that he/she kills another animal for food to survive. If lions had intellectual brains, had religious views, it wouldn't been killing other animals today, it would grow and eat fresh vegetables and fruits to live. The number of people falling in the category of "we" in the quoted statement is almost nil today.

Also, the second part of the quoted text, yes its a part of primitive brain, but when that brain has developed, has intelligence, follows some religion it should be no longer a part of this.

No religion preaches to kill animals for food, and never condones for it.

Consider an scenario when I am in a situation of survival for life, deserted alone, I do not find anything to eat, no animals no plants, but another human being, I would kill him and eat him, and then I finally survive the ordeal, police arrests me for killing another human being, but why? I would have killed him, so that I could survive as per the 'law of nature' described by many forum members here.

Religion-wise you really need to do some research. There's a reason most religions have lists of the types of animals you can't eat -- and it's not because you shouldn't be eating *any* of them. If that were the case they would say it.

As for the eating vegetables/fruits being better; sure. Let's take everyone to eat nothing but those two. When things like pigs/cows/etc. die off due to lack of food (since we're eating all of theirs) and then people run out of those foods, we're then forced to eat each OTHER. But of course it's better to eat people than it is animals, right? Or at least that's what you'd rather happen with your claim.

I would personally rather continue eating animals than people.

Not to mention, as stated many amino acids can only be obtained by meat (meaning by not eating meat you are lowering your health). But don't worry; the Higher Up (God or whoever your god is) did that on purpose so we would all die of malnutrition.

Or not.

Seriously, you guys need to pay more attention to the *effects* of things rather than the "what is going on right now?" parts of them.

I haven't heard of even a single religion which tells humans to kill and eat other animals, let alone to eat a list of animals and spare another list of animals. Yes, I really need to research and find such a religion then, any help please?

As for the eating vegetables/fruits being better; sure. Let's take everyone to eat nothing but those two. When things like pigs/cows/etc. die off due to lack of food (since we're eating all of theirs) and then people run out of those foods, we're then forced to eat each OTHER. But of course it's better to eat people than it is animals, right? Or at least that's what you'd rather happen with your claim.

Talking about the reverse case first... The huge population of humans on earth become carnivores. Eat all types of animals they see, the poor animals become extinct. Lions, Tigers, die due to lack of food since we are eating all of theirs.

You see its not as simple as that, humans generally don't eat the food of cows-->grass, horse->grass etc. All these animals get their food from nature. Humans eat farmed food, so is the case with animals too which are mostly farmed. BUT WAIT, what do these farmed animals (cows, goats) eat? The hard grown plants grown in farms. So, grow plants and make animals eat them and then humans eat these animals. So who is depleting resources faster, vegetarians or Non - Vegetarians? Moreover there is a forced increase in animal population due to farming of these animals which causes an imbalance in nature and aid to global warming.

Lastly, my last example was not my claim actually, the 'I' in those statements is a placeholder to whoever wants to reflect those statements on themselves, instead of addressing as 'you'. I was bringing up the fact that when someone kills humans they are punished, but why not when someone kills an animal, when both humans and other animals fall into the category of animals. And when it is the law of nature to eat other animals, then why humans are punished to kill other human beings?

Lastly, if a single amino acid can make me malnutritioned for whole of my life against hundreds of odds of non-vegetarian diet then obviously I better die as vegetarian. (Anyway, I am strong, vegetarian, and healthy and athletic with no risks of heart disease) At the minimum I do not carry the curses and sins of killing hundreds of animals in other case.

Anyway, by eating a variety of vegetables one can get all amino acids needed for human body. http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2001-03/984769959.Bc.r.html I like the idea of eating a dozen different plants to get my proteins than eating a single source (meat), spoiling my appetite and soaring my risk lists and sins list. So now I have my amino acids as vegetarian, coming to last part:

Seriously, you guys need to pay more attention to the *effects* of things rather than the "what is going on right now?" parts of them.

Effects of things... you mean effects of eating veg and non-veg. I hope the above point clarifies the thing, if not I can bring upon a table clearly listing the effects of vegetarian diet and non vegetarian diet in my free time. Edited by BCD (see edit history)

It is possible to live as a vegetarian, so long as you don't avoid all animal products (e.g. cow milk, eggs, et cetera). This is a big mistake and has caused malnutrition for "hardcore" vegetarians, and i'm sure you can find reports where their diet caused death due to the malnutrition. However, if any vegetarian is looking to gain some weight, they'll have to change their diet.

Foods with fiber in it is not more easily digestable for the body than foods without fiber. Fiber itself is indigestable, and so anything that the body can digest that the fiber is fused with means more work for the body because the fiber is then in the way of what the body can digest. This is one of the reasons why it is good to eat fiber with foods that contain a bit of sugar or fat, as it takes a bit longer for the body to absorb what it can digest. Some fruits contain fiber, and these fruits tend to be very sweet, so it makes for a nice pair.

Do you know why commercials emphasize the adjective white when they say "white meat" (though there is no other color that poultry can be found in)? Because some studies found a link between red meat (pork and all of its variations, beef, et cetera) and patients with cardiovascular disease; some stating that those that ate more white meat than red meat lived longer lives, while those who ate more red meat died earlier. Because of this, the media has done a fine job in getting us to think that eating red meat will increase the chances of cardiovascular disease. While i would agree that pork should be utterly avoided, believe it or not, this information is not enough to conclude that eating red meat, or any kind of meat, will reduce your life. There was no mention of the person's daily lives, whether or not they exercise, what kind of meat was eaten the most from both categories (simply stating "more red meat" or "more white meat" is not enough information), what else was part of their diet, no background history. From either a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian viewpoint, it should be safe to say that the media concerning who lives longer is not to be wholly trusted.

The argument you provide that if one does not cook their vegetables, they would gain more nutrients, does not conclude that humans are therefore meant for a vegetarian diet; that is non-sequitur. The fact that humans can safely digest meat of various kinds, and vegetables, shows that humans were made for eating meat as well as vegetables. Harming or killing animals is irrelevant as to whether or not people live longer as a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian and is merely rhetoric.

I haven't heard of even a single religion which tells humans to kill and eat other animals, let alone to eat a list of animals and spare another list of animals. Yes, I really need to research and find such a religion then, any help please?

http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm

You see its not as simple as that, humans generally don't eat the food of cows-->grass, horse->grass etc. All these animals get their food from nature. Humans eat farmed food, so is the case with animals too which are mostly farmed. BUT WAIT, what do these farmed animals (cows, goats) eat? The hard grown plants grown in farms.

There is a reason why herbivores are capable of eating only vegetables or whatever plant they find lying around: their body is capable of producing nutrients that their food lacks on its own. For example, a chicken's body can produce vitamin C, while ours can't; ours can produce cholesterol on its own, while other animals can't. And so while they can do without meat, it is not easy for us to be able to mimic their diets.

Lastly, if a single amino acid can make me malnutritioned for whole of my life against hundreds of odds of non-vegetarian diet then obviously I better die as vegetarian. (Anyway, I am strong, vegetarian, and healthy and athletic with no risks of heart disease) At the minimum I do not carry the curses and sins of killing hundreds of animals in other case.

Anyway, by eating a variety of vegetables one can get all amino acids needed for human body. http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2001-03/984769959.Bc.r.html I like the idea of eating a dozen different plants to get my proteins than eating a single source (meat), spoiling my appetite and soaring my risk lists and sins list. So now I have my amino acids as vegetarian [...]

The link you provided has an "s" at the end of it, while the context of the link doesn't. If you remove the "s", you will see the page you intended to be seen.

Having said that, look at the following verse: Ezekiel 4:9. According to Food for Life, the ingredients, when merged, forms a high-concentrated protein. However, from the same source, milk and eggs have a higher concentration. Biblically speaking, this is for half a pound of bread made from those ingredients. And they have to eat this a few times a day if they plan on surviving. Whether or not you can find a different mixture with the same amount of nutrients is beyond me, but i can say that you'll be visiting the supermarket plenty of times a week to be constantly eating such an array of food. Unless forced to, a person will eventually grow tired of having the same thing over and over again.

As mentioned previously, "sins" of killing animals are irrelevant to the discussion; though, this "sin" is only subjective. But if one were to be so caring, in order to be consistent, you would have to apply the same standard to plants. In other words, ripping off fruits or vegetables from plants would be itself a "sin." In order to avoid the "sin," therefore, you would have to wait for these things to fall off the plant itself.

Foods with fiber in it is not more easily digestable for the body than foods without fiber. Fiber itself is indigestable, and so anything that the body can digest that the fiber is fused with means more work for the body because the fiber is then in the way of what the body can digest. This is one of the reasons why it is good to eat fiber with foods that contain a bit of sugar or fat, as it takes a bit longer for the body to absorb what it can digest. Some fruits contain fiber, and these fruits tend to be very sweet, so it makes for a nice pair.

I never heard this that fiber food is difficult to digest..and is unhealthy..i have rather heard that it is good to have more fiber in food.I did not mention anywhere about the sugar..This is funny.But i would like to state it that being vegetarian or non vegetarian is a matter of choice taken by people.No one in my family is a non vegetarian and i don't find any harm in that and we are not suffering with any disease.But then im not here to force people to become a vegetarian..just enjoy what you eat.It is just that im like being the vegetarian..i can't eat and animal (if for the survival i may even eat human ) :P :P

I never heard this that fiber food is difficult to digest..and is unhealthy..i have rather heard that it is good to have more fiber in food.I did not mention anywhere about the sugar..This is funny.But i would like to state it that being vegetarian or non vegetarian is a matter of choice taken by people.No one in my family is a non vegetarian and i don't find any harm in that and we are not suffering with any disease.But then im not here to force people to become a vegetarian..just enjoy what you eat.It is just that im like being the vegetarian..i can't eat and animal (if for the survival i may even eat human ) :P :P

I didn't say fiber is unhealthy, but it should be noted that too much fiber will cause internal bleeding. Fiber helps with your bowel (as in help clean things up a bit and promote bowel movement, which helps prevent constipation), but since it is a bit rough, too much fiber and it will start scraping against your internal walls. You may not have to worry about eating too much fiber from fruits and vegetables, but since grains will be a significant part of a vegetarian diet, you may be at risk of eating too much fiber. I would suspect vegetarians to go more for the whole wheat grains instead of the "white food" (given the fact that some research is required before entering a complete vegetarian diet) and so be taking in more fiber, but also because of any research they should be well aware of the side effects of taking in too much.

While on the topic of fiber: a good way to tell if your body lacks fiber is if you take days to go to the bathroom to do "number 2" after eating a meal. It shouldn't take days, it should be quicker than that, at most a day.