xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
eInfiniti

Weird Ethernet Connection Problem

I have a laptop made by Dell. I have used it for about three years. A few days ago, it quit connecting to the internet through the ethernet cable. It would show either that network cable not inserted properly or that the connection speed is 10 Mbps. You wouldn't be able to go anywhere on the internet. It would do that even if another computer could be connected to the internet through the same cable.The above happened in my home also. It wouldn't work if it is connected in any of the room (downstream the router in the house). The weird thing is it would work well if it is connected to the main cable coming into the house (upstream the router)!The wireless connection still works fine. I also scanned the laptop for viruses.What is the cause of the problem? Can someone help me to solve the problem? Do I need to bring it to a repair shop?

Wireless connection is working but wired is not? I haven't heard of it before. Anyway a quick suggestion would be to re-install the drivers provided by Dell. That just might work. And you're saying the cable itself is working fine? Have you tried using another cable for the laptop? Taking it for repair might seem the easiest solution but if you repair it yourself you'll be prepared for such a situation in the future. Keep an eye out of this thread for suggestions from other members.

Could just be a faulty connector. The Ethernet port could have worn down a bit, that's a hardware issue though. If it's a software issue then I have absolutely no idea but you should check if it's a hardware issue first. I don't know what you can do about it if it is.

It doesn't sound like the faulty NIC because he said it works fine if the laptop is connected to the cable modem directly.Either your router's port is faulty or you could be using cross-over cable.Try connecting your laptop using a network cable to different port in your router. If you have been using connection #1, try connection #2 or 4. Try connecting your laptop to a different router, such as your friends or at school.If any of those above works fine, you may be looking at a faulty router.Check to see if the network cable you have been using is not cross-over cable. Look at the cable ends side by side, and count the colors in the same sequence. If they are out of order you are using cross-over cable.The proper cable color usually found in 568B:(W stands for "white")1-w.orange, 2-orange, 3-w.green, 4-blue, 5-w.blue, 6-green, 7-w.brown, 8-brownWhen you are looking at the terminated end, the plastic tab is facing down. You count the pins from left to right numbering 1 to 8. Let us know how it goes.