xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
web_designer

Animals Sometimes Loyal More Than Human....

that is so cute...rpg. what kind of dog do you have?i dunno about how animals are better problem solvers than humans though. that seems like a far fetched statement to me :)at the same time, my dog has a very good memory. he likes the tennis ball so when i was at my parents house for a few weeks, i tested him. i would tell him to stay while i throw a tennis ball in to a big ivey patch of about 5 yard x 40 yards from 100 feet away. i would have him sit for 30 seconds, then tell him to fetch. he remembered exactly where i threw it, would bury his nose in the ivey and get the ball. everyone who witnessed that was amazed. a few times before i would go to bed, i would bring my dog with me and throw his ball outside. i would let him look at it for 5 seconds and then bring him back inside to go to sleep. 8 hours later when we woke up, i would open the door and tell him to get his ball. he would run straight for it remembering where i threw it the night before. another test i gave him which was amazing playing fetch for him a couple times outside. my parents have a tennis court so i put about 25 balls in the corner of the court. i my dog and i would sit about 30 feet away. i would cover his eyes and roll the ball i was playing fetch with him with in to the mixture of the 25 other tennis balls. after the ball would stop rolling and mixed in, i would uncover his eyes and tell him to fetch. every single time, he would sniff out that same ball and bring it back. he would never bring back the wrong ball. i didn't teach him this stuff. this was just how he was born. i think animals can definately problem solve. i also think some animals are born with natural insticts to problem solve for their survival and have very good memories.....but better than human? hmmmmmmi remember watching a documentary once when in the fall, the camera followed a bird who was hiding food in the ground to prepare for winter. when winter came, the ground was covered with snow but the bird came back when it was hungry and dig in the snow and then dig in the dirt in the EXACT same spot it buried it's food. truely amazing when the ground left no markers or anything to remember the ground by after being covered with snow.i know talking about how smart animals are isn't really on topic to how loyal they can be, but in some cases it just shows how people can not only underestimate their abilities, but their true loyalty. to me it's a shame that people don't witness it or share in some of those experiences because to me, it's all amazing and wonderfull to witness and be a part of just like watching a child grow up

that is so cute...rpg. what kind of dog do you have?
i dunno about how animals are better problem solvers than humans though. that seems like a far fetched statement to me :)

at the same time, my dog has a very good memory. he likes the tennis ball so when i was at my parents house for a few weeks, i tested him. i would tell him to stay while i throw a tennis ball in to a big ivey patch of about 5 yard x 40 yards from 100 feet away. i would have him sit for 30 seconds, then tell him to fetch. he remembered exactly where i threw it, would bury his nose in the ivey and get the ball. everyone who witnessed that was amazed. a few times before i would go to bed, i would bring my dog with me and throw his ball outside. i would let him look at it for 5 seconds and then bring him back inside to go to sleep. 8 hours later when we woke up, i would open the door and tell him to get his ball. he would run straight for it remembering where i threw it the night before. another test i gave him which was amazing playing fetch for him a couple times outside. my parents have a tennis court so i put about 25 balls in the corner of the court. i my dog and i would sit about 30 feet away. i would cover his eyes and roll the ball i was playing fetch with him with in to the mixture of the 25 other tennis balls. after the ball would stop rolling and mixed in, i would uncover his eyes and tell him to fetch. every single time, he would sniff out that same ball and bring it back. he would never bring back the wrong ball. i didn't teach him this stuff. this was just how he was born. i think animals can definately problem solve. i also think some animals are born with natural insticts to problem solve for their survival and have very good memories.....but better than human? hmmmmmm

i remember watching a documentary once when in the fall, the camera followed a bird who was hiding food in the ground to prepare for winter. when winter came, the ground was covered with snow but the bird came back when it was hungry and dig in the snow and then dig in the dirt in the EXACT same spot it buried it's food. truely amazing when the ground left no markers or anything to remember the ground by after being covered with snow.

i know talking about how smart animals are isn't really on topic to how loyal they can be, but in some cases it just shows how people can not only underestimate their abilities, but their true loyalty. to me it's a shame that people don't witness it or share in some of those experiences because to me, it's all amazing and wonderfull to witness and be a part of just like watching a child grow up

It is a Chihuahua and I brought up the learning/problem solving because it shows they are able to recall and memorize things (which most people claim they can't -- and if they can't, it is impossible for them to in fact be loyal).

What sparked the bridge between the two (which I left out of the post) was a story about a guy who was in a house that was on fire and his dog grabbed him by the neck of his shirt and dragged him safely out of the house before it imploded. To me that shows not only is the dog smart (as he can tell both that the house is on fire *and* that his human companion is unsafe being inside and he needs to resolve the issue) but also that he is loyal.

To me, if they are not smart they can not be loyal. It makes me mad when people say experimenting on animals is good because "they are just animals." I do not view them that way (although I do completely understand that medications and such must be tested before humans die -- but I think the way people view it is in the wrong way).

Another interesting thing my dog can differentiate between is when I am going outside, when I am taking her outside, and when I am going to the restroom (for example, if she sees me grab my cup or toothbrush before I leave the room she will just stay since she knows I'll only be out a minute. If I don't she will leave with me. If I go to the door she knows I am going outside and sits while waiting for permission to join me).

I also know her well enough that if she dashes outside and I can not get her back inside (she will sometimes run from me) I can just go inside, close the door, and count to 15 silently and open it and she'll dash back inside and jump in my arms and act like she hasn't seen me for weeks. She is deathly afraid to be alone and it's just another thing I know about her that most people would never realize about their pets.