xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
OpaQue

Significance / Importance Of Will Power In Your Life Does Will Power mean anything to you?

Will power is a quality gifted only to humans compared to all other life forms. I believe, Will power is the power to hold back your instincts. so, We all know whats will power... but I m more interested in its significance to you. What does WILL POWER mean to you?

Will power is a quality gifted only to humans compared to all other life forms. I believe, Will power is the power to hold back your instincts. so, We all know whats will power... but I m more interested in its significance to you. What does WILL POWER mean to you?

will power to me means discipline. discipline against the things that don't have any rational thought to them....like cravings or emotions, etc... i think in some ways, it also means patience. i think if you are disciplined and patient, it created a stronger will power among other things which allow you to become stronger in the things you set your mind to do.

Ahhh, will power! I could certainly use a lot more of it!My will power is a fickle thing. If I really really want to do something, I can usually do it. But then there are times when it just fails me completely. I don't quite understand it. If will power is not a significant part of your life, it certainly should be! Will power is part of what keeps us on the right track, keeps us safe and helps us to avoid bad habits and doing stupid things. The ability to resist temptation is very important. While generally will power is thought of in terms of not getting that second cookie (or the first one for that matter) or putting down that blasted pack of cigerettes, but will power is also important for preventing a lot of other bad habits so many of us silly humans seem to aquire. Drugs, gambling, alcohol, telling lies, cheating, swearing, you name it.

Will Power in the stroke of fire. It fills with determination to control the negatives and not make them screw up OUR LIFE...IF we fail we loose the power to stand up again n move in the odds.will power can only make us do that.we can turn the stones even in the odds

i think that your willpower is your capacity to endure what has been given to you. whether is be the loss of a loved one or the gain of a new born child( they can be hectic at time). it also means, to me, having the ability to let go or remain steadfast and the knowledge to know when to back down.. It is said that time heals all wounds, i don't believe this statement. My response to this is that you are responsible for your own emotions, likewise your will power to strive forward into the abyss.

will power to me means discipline. discipline against the things that don't have any rational thought to them....like cravings or emotions, etc... i think in some ways, it also means patience. i think if you are disciplined and patient, it created a stronger will power among other things which allow you to become stronger in the things you set your mind to do.

Yes that seems true as it means discipline and the power of will or our aims that we follow up with actions.
Literal meaning has to be discipline.

Thank you guys, you really shown me a whole lot of perceptions for Will Power. Just summarizing... please correct me if I m wrong.

will power to me means discipline i think in some ways, it also means patience.

discipline & patience.

Ahhh, will power! I could certainly use a lot more of it!

According to SheepDop, its :-

Will power is part of what keeps us on the right track and is the solution for Drugs, gambling, alcohol, telling lies, cheating, swearing.

Will Power in the stroke of fire. It fills with determination to control the negatives and not make them screw up OUR LIFE...IF we fail we loose the power to stand up again n move in the odds.will power can only make us do that.we can turn the stones even in the odds

Will Power is determination.

i think that your willpower is your capacity to endure what has been given to you. whether is be the loss of a loved one or the gain of a new born child( they can be hectic at time). it also means, to me, having the ability to let go or remain steadfast and the knowledge to know when to back down.. It is said that time heals all wounds, i don't believe this statement. My response to this is that you are responsible for your own emotions, likewise your will power to strive forward into the abyss.

willpower is your capacity to endure.

your will IS THE power to strive forward into the abyss.

To me...Will Power is what keeps us doing what's good in he world. Much the way God intended. However, we can choose to ignore it and go into sinfull acts, but that's the price to pay for free will. Will power keeps us in track with something, so...yes, I agree with how you've summarized.

Yeah, i have heard people say , where there is a will there is a way . In this regard the so called will power has pros and cons. For in that manner everything in this world has both pros and cons. Talking about will power, the dangerous thing is that if some one use the same thing for destructive purpose. A terrorist may also think "where there is a will there is a way" which simply means for him or her , if i need to blast a place i can do it. On the other hand for a skool going student it is gonna be like if i wanna shine in my class i can. So the so called will power can be destructive if some one with wrong intention practices it. So will power to me means it is a double edged sword !!

WILL POWER according to me is a composite of (WILL) Desire and (POWER) endurance and patience.... the Desire creates the positive or negative outcome of the events, like nirmaldaniel says negative desire = terrorist blasting a place or positive desire = student shining in school....that is the first part of it, the origin, the WILL..... Power is the decider of the intensity of the output, its your endurance which decides wat lengths you can go to in achieving your desire or Will before you break apart.... if you can endure it you will most often than not achieve it.... look at Gandhi, Mandela, Rocky Balboa (he was the flashiest :)).... its all about endurance mate.... You got to endure it all the time till you achieve it..... but all that you would endure it to your limits only if you want to keep doing it..... Now thats PATIENCE..... most of the times you would realize that you dont achieve goals not because you cant achieve them or are not capable of achieving them but its because we dont want to wait that long...... we want everything fast .... cmon we are the turbo generation.... we want everything fast... travel, food, sex, growth, communication, processing, transport everything.... hmmmm.... now thats a contradiction to patience..... So its patience that decides the time frame for your endurance...... so if you can endure through the required patience you will achieve your will..... if that makes any sense.....

Discipline, intel, strategy, tactics and yardsticks are directed by the WILL or desire, the stronger the Desire the more you get disciplined, you start gathering the required data or info, the intensity of the quest is again directly proportional to the intensity of the desire. Similarly, you devise appropriate strategy and tactics to combat the potential pitfalls and hindrances and at the same time use the opportunities to your advantage to achieve your DESIRE... and obviously the yardsticks are designed/created for you to keep checking how far you are still from your desire...... it is the scale (changing with the everchanging circumstances ofcourse)

This is how it is, if your will power is good enough, you might do drugs or alchohol for recreational/social purposes but never even remotely get addicted to it.... cases like that arent unheard of.... we all have friends like that.... and we all also have friends who just cant control themselves, One opportunity and they are addicted..... it happens doesnt it.....

I wanted to give a explanation and after careful introspection and intense contemplation for 4 seconds I decided on cigarettes:

WILL: To smoke a cigarette

Endurance: Standard Respiratory attributes required, generally irritated in the beginning eventually adapts to the onslaught of Smoke, heat, tar and 1000 few other toxins and carcinogens

Patience: This factor is not applicable (unless you are in a 30 Hr flight). Very low doses required in critical situations.

Strategy: Aquisition

Tactics: Locate & establish contact with nearest cigarette vendor.

Yardsticks: No. of Cigarettes per Day/Hour

Hence the WILL POWER in this case is of CLASS D.... regular quality.... :P

WILL: To NOT Smoke a cigarette

Endurance: Extremely High levels of psychological attributes required, surely irritated in the beginning eventually grows to full scale mania (in extreme cases may try to smoke cigarettes made of newsprint).

Patience: This is a tough fight and it is a fight to the finish. You can never get it out of your head like your neighbor's wife :D it just stays there always teasing..Posted Image Extremely high doses required even in regular situations, it becomes grave on crossing the 30 minute mark.

Strategy: Distraction

Tactics: Confuse the mind by using replacements like pens, pencils or paper rolls. I personally use a joint as a replacement. It has its advantages...Posted Image or chewing on something like gum, candy, mints or chocolates (No Chewing tobacco is not a good replacement, though it helps u the most in achieving your WILL to not smoke it)

Yardsticks: Mints per day/hour/15mins

Hence the WILL POWER in this case is of CLASS A..... Uber quality....

So as you see that explains the concept of WILL POWER..... and the structuring and functioning of the composite....

I would like to correct this saying WILL POWER is a quality gifted to all living things but FREE WILL is the gift unique to humans.... (though we dont seem to be drawing much good from it..) I wonder sometimes how things would have been the other way round.....It is amusing to visualise humans being reared by lions for food.... or monkeys training humans on how to pluck fruits for them while they mate and (re)produce more masters......

yup, will power is present in every human being, but is the hardest thing to control and use to our advantage because humans are insecure and they doubt even themselves. they say that if you believe you will be rich, then you will be, if you believe you are ugly, then people will see you as ugly, because you will exude the aura of what you feel and believe in, you attract negative or positive energies, depending on what you aim to do or will to do and what you truly feel and believe.

Willpower obviously means being able to control one's impulses.
Easier said than done though. If some of us weren't so impulsive
it would be allright.
Maybe will power can be learned.I Have shown traces of it in the past,
but defenitly need to improve.

yup, will power is present in every human being, but is the hardest thing to control and use to our advantage because humans are insecure and they doubt even themselves. they say that if you believe you will be rich, then you will be, if you believe you are ugly, then people will see you as ugly, because you will exude the aura of what you feel and believe in, you attract negative or positive energies, depending on what you aim to do or will to do and what you truly feel and believe.