xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
longtimeago

Social Networking Is it a safe game to play with ??

where on earth are you getting your information from? i would like to know. if this information you are talking about isn't paranoia and is coming from some othr source, i will gladly post my opinion there instead. there are certain things that might occur in a chat room, but someone isn't going to be choosing a screen name at random to hack their accounts. haha that is just ridiculous.....

what ever you may debate on this topic, still my stand is Social Networking websites are not a safe game to play unless one learns the rules of the game completely.

Recently there was yet another issue which clearly shows and states that these social networking websites give your personal information to advertisers, which violates their own privacy policy. It works out like this. These social networking websites share the actual link with the advertisers. These link often contains the username of the user which will reflect to the orginal name in most of the cases

There was actually a paper published in a journal on this particular issue. I do attach the link to that particular Journal

Journal

and more over this issue has been coming up in the media too in these days
Link

Edited by nirmaldaniel (see edit history)

i know that social networking sites can be unsafe at times, dude, life outside the internet is more unsafe than a social networking site. your original post talked about how your pictures are unsafe and how hackers will hack peoples accounts just for the pictures. since then, you have been all over the map. oh it's even in the media. that is no surprise. you actually believe the media now too and think they don't hype things up for the ratings? i remember when they were talking about how dogs are unsafe. the media were targeting pit bulls when the media should have actually been targeting the owners of the dogs that they had no control over. do you know that i have abxsolutely 0 privacy settings in my facebook account and haven't had any problems yet? you are still talking about things that may happen, but they happen so infrequent that it's not even worth discussing EXCEPT i DID agree that what you say on social networking sites can lead to trouble for you. especially when people start posting their phone #'s and telling people they will be away on vacation for a week, etc... now THOSE are the problems worth discussing. not some hacker that picks random accounts to hack....

There's been a lot of talk about hacking, but I would like to ask a single question - why should pictures be put up in public anyway? Social networking sites are used mainly to keep in touch with friends, and these include friends whom we meet in real-life and long-distance friends, whom we don't see for many years. In both cases, is it really necessary to put up the photos online so that these friends can view them? Wouldn't it be much safer if they were sent through emai (or shared through picasa, flickr, etc)? Does the whole world really need to see all those party or other events' photos?!!! Why put them online and why worry about them being hacked?

well i am one who likes to see my friends photos. especially when i log in to facebook or something and notice they have added photos, i will flip through their album. posting them is a lot easier than emailing photos individually too. they aren't called social networking sites for nothing simpleton :) it's one of the reasons they are so popular. a social setting as close to reality as you can get for right now...i'm sure everything will also be ever changing. so with your question, i have to answer no. the albums aren't needed. but is anything else needed? no. but it still exists. take the shout box or chat boxes for example. are they needed? heck no. is texting needed? no. anyone can pick up the phone and dial free long distance now a days. it's also a lot easier to do. social networking sites though offer the ability to be with friends and family in one place where otherwise it would be impossible.

There's been a lot of talk about hacking, but I would like to ask a single question - why should pictures be put up in public anyway? Social networking sites are used mainly to keep in touch with friends, and these include friends whom we meet in real-life and long-distance friends, whom we don't see for many years. In both cases, is it really necessary to put up the photos online so that these friends can view them? Wouldn't it be much safer if they were sent through emai (or shared through picasa, flickr, etc)? Does the whole world really need to see all those party or other events' photos?!!! Why put them online and why worry about them being hacked?

i agree simpleton if we want to be secure on the social networking sites then we shouldn't put our private photos there. but the fact is we know that and we do it, i do it Posted Image we just want the easiest way to connect to our friends and families, and it is absolutely more fun to do this on facebook or my sapace than calling them. but i think what we should do is not uploading a private photos that could put us in troubles, i know with photoshop anything can be done but uploading general photo that isn't related to our private issues is better than nothing.