xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Facebook Tinkers With Privacy In The Form Of "pages"

Just when I thought Facebook was getting safer with the introduction of custom privacy settings for most of the content, they messed it up again! This seems to have become a hobby for them - to change the rules every month or so :) Now the latest change is that you have to link all your interests to "Pages", otherwise you don't get to display your interests at all! I think the same rule applies to location, movies, etc. Either accept the pages suggested by Facebook, or leave these fields blank. And these pages are completely public, so no matter what your settings are, people visiting those pages can see that you're a part of it, and there goes your privacy! This is a ridiculous change and I hope it gets fought against. I've erased all those fields as I prefer to keep my privacy, but it'll be irritating to see a blank profile. It's not that big an issue but the old system was just fine and there was really no need to go and change it in such a silly way. If you haven't checked your FB account yet go and take a look - who knows how many pages you're linked to.....

I think it was just a matter of time facebook sold out to the almighty dollar.We've seen how myspace started to sell information for those who were willing to pay the top dollar. And the advertisements were rotated around the keywords found in your information box--like you like this TV show and the ads will show another show related to your content. It's no big deal--until 3rd party advertisers started to send you messages and you started to get weird emails asking you to try few things from them. Yes, I had hundreds of emails like that.Facebook, seems like, it's in the similar path. The promise of keeping your information safe was just the face to get you join their services. Once you've joined either you had to become an expert immediately, otherwise you were faced with endless notifications and emails just because you forgot to uncheck or check certain settings. It's really annoying.And the recent reports that your hidden conversations between friends became completely public to your other friends... I can't believe that facebook programmers "forgot" about the bug in the code. Probably someone used your information and didn't turn off the security setting after harvesting your infos. Bottom line is that don't put anything in there that you wouldn't want people to see (no matter how private you set it as), because someone will see it eventually.On the side note, don't post your daily habits or plans. You never know whose reading because not only your friends might read but their "friends of friends" will see it as well. Don't forget to change your settings and don't post too much. We're getting out of control with broadcasting just about everything from I just woke up, I just took a shower...to...I just took a dump... Let's keep some things to ourselves.

Ever since Facebook had applications (and probably before that; i don't keep much track with facebook like just about every known company seems to be), they were self-contradicting concerning privacy. Anything new now that contradicts the concept of privacy is only to be expected. But people will keep on using Facebook and whatever social media they please, though their friends are mostly just a picture with text next to it.

Hi!FaceBook has reached 'critical mass'. They have enough users to be able to dictate the terms to their users, unless they do something to go too far, such as to charge for the service in which case users would simply move to a different service. Google Buzz had me move away from Facebook for the simple reason that it is more convenient for me to look up my Google Buzz posts and replies when I access my GMail account. In fact, it is the reason for me to use the Google Talk messenger too because whenever I am signed into GMail, i get any instant messages from online users via Google Talk, and any new email appears within the Inbox listing without having to refresh the page. Perhaps the one problem that Google Buzz does have is that the messages appear within the Inbox instead of a separate Google Talk-like notification 'dialog' and that was one of the biggest turn offs for most users. I'm quite satisfied with the interface that Google Buzz uses, but I really would like have a Google Talk style notification system instead of having the Buzz messages in my Inbox... and, yes, I have heard about setting rules to move Google Buzz messages from the Inbox into other folders and I don't want to have to do that because it would make me less likely to read new messages if they appeared in a folder and I didn't see it.The concept of FaceBook applications has been appealing feature for most users and has been used for games such as FarmVille, Mafia Wars, Scrabble, and Hang Man. Google Buzz, Orkut, and Twitter lack applications, which is why FaceBook rules the roost, although I would imagine MySpace would have a good number of users since it shares many of the features with FaceBook.

If only people refrained themselves from posting too much private information on Facebook, then it wouldn't matter at all even if FB changed the terms every single day. But even after so many years, people haven't learned their lessons and are still posting too much private information on the net, in an attempt to keep in touch with their friends, or as in most cases, to show off. They don't seem to care for the consequences that follow and that's why FB is playing with their information as they like. I've stopped using all FB apps and don't put any personal info on there. The only thing I use it for is to keep in touch with long lost friends. And I've been fine. Yes, I may be missing all the fun on farmville and mafia wars, but I could always create a duplicate account to play those games :)