xisto Community
The Simpleton

Doubt About Placing Videos On Website

I tried to look for the usage policy page which gives the details of what and what not to put on my site, but couldn't find it; so I'm starting this thread and hope I'll get my doubt cleared soon.Am I allowed to put videos on my website? Actually it's not my website but my college website which is currently on my friend's hosting account. I want to upload some tutorial videos on there and some general videos about the college. They're not copyrighted material and they won't exceed the bandwidth allocated. So in that case am I allowed to put them on the site? I got this doubt because I distinctly remember someone saying sometime, somewhere in the forum that videos aren't allowed to be uploaded on the site. In that case, am I at least allowed to embed the videos that I uploaded to Youtube?

You are allowed to place videos on your site as far as I know, but you can't use it for storage of videos, or ones that are illegal in any way or break any other aspect of the TOS. You can upload the videos to your site just fine as long as you have the rights to them (or they are public domain, or you have permission from the rights holder). Just keep an eye on your bandwidth :) You could also upload the videos to somewhere like Google Video or YouTube if you wanted to save your hosting space and bandwidth, and embed them in your pages.

You are allowed to place videos on your site as far as I know, but you can't use it for storage of videos, or ones that are illegal in any way or break any other aspect of the TOS. You can upload the videos to your site just fine as long as you have the rights to them (or they are public domain, or you have permission from the rights holder). Just keep an eye on your bandwidth ../../public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif You could also upload the videos to somewhere like Google Video or YouTube if you wanted to save your hosting space and bandwidth, and embed them in your pages.

Thanks a lot for the clarification. I think it's best to upload them on Youtube and embed them onto my site. Other than saving bandwidth, it also spares me the trouble of figuring out how to make the videos play on the site :)

You can upload the videos to your site just fine as long as you have the rights to them

Since I'm the one creating them, I'm guessing I do have the rights to them :P Thanks again for the clarification!

On another note, you might want to try using HTML5s <video> tag to play the video. It won't work on Internet Explorer yet so you'll have to have a flash embed as a backup.

If you're good with JavaScript, you might even want to try making a custom interface to go with the <video> tag, so that it can suit the theme of your site.

I've found a few links that you might want to look at:
http://diveintohtml5.info/video.html
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://www.craftymind.com/

Thanks for the links and the suggestion, TomCol. It's sure been a while since I looked in here. Using HTML5 seems to be a very good idea. And maybe it could be a way to persuade people to get off IE. Many sites have the "Works only in IE" tag; now it's high time for "Won't work only in IE" :)I'm not so good with Javascript but it's good to know my options. Thanks again!

Using HTML5 seems to be a very good idea.

I don't know...I only use IE. I don't care what anyone says about it. It's the browsern I've used since I got my first computer, and it's the one I'll die using. Best to not force people, otherwise, they might not come back to yor site. As far as HTML5 goes, as far as I know, no browser has complete support for it yet...so, be careful.

I don't know...I only use IE. I don't care what anyone says about it. It's the browsern I've used since I got my first computer, and it's the one I'll die using. Best to not force people, otherwise, they might not come back to yor site. As far as HTML5 goes, as far as I know, no browser has complete support for it yet...so, be careful.

There are a lot of people who still stick to IE. I'm not too friendly with IE-supporters :P Just kidding - anyway this website is still far away and HTML5 support is getting stronger by the day. And if the site is really good then people won't mind using alternate browsers to view it. It's happened many times with IT-only sites - some people use IE only to view such sites.

A question about videos from me as well... If we were to get the "unlimited hosting plan" (the one that is almost $100 a year) could we host videos on that as well, for a tutorial site (such as the OP was speaking of)? It says not to "abuse" it on the TOS and all but I do not know if a video tutorial site would be considered as bandwidth abuse or not (I am assuming not but it is much better to be safe than sorry!).