xisto Community
rob86

All Network Related Software (internet,local Ftp) Keeps Disconnecting

I`ve been having a strange problem lately that only started occuring in the last week or so. I'm running Win7 with a D-Link router. I use lots of software that uses the network, for example MSN, a locally accessed FTP server, internet downloads. Recently, I've noticed that for some reason, when my computer is idle, everything just 'dies'. MSN disconnects, my local FTP server dies (so it's nothing to do with ISP) and I have to restart it manually, my downloads fail. As soon as I return to the PC, move the mouse (to turn on the monitor) everything connects again. I haven't done a whole lot of troubleshooting on the problem yet, but has anyone experienced anything similar? Like I said it only started doing this recently. I'm not 100% sure it only disconnects when the computer is idle, but it seems to be the case because I rarely, if ever experience disconnects while I'm using it. By idle, I mean in as little as an hour or less. I haven't actually timed it.I can think of one thing I did recently, and that was push the reset button on the router. Is there some kind of a IDLE-DISCONNECT feature on the router I'm missing that turned itself on?I'm going to do some more testing to see if my second computer on the network running Ubuntu has these problems to narrow it down to Windows or the Router, but if anyone has any suggestions.. it's a really annoying problem because I need the FTP server to work.

I'm thinking the problem was with Windows power saving sleep mode. I haven't tested it yet, but auto-sleep mysteriously became enabled for 15 minutes of inactivity. I have strong hopes this will fix it.

I'm thinking the problem was with Windows power saving sleep mode. I haven't tested it yet, but auto-sleep mysteriously became enabled for 15 minutes of inactivity. I have strong hopes this will fix it.

I was going to suggest something along those lines. I know Windows 7 is known for its "instant wake-ups," so what might seem like it is merely a monitor, power-saving feature (or just a blank screensaver) may actually be the system entering hibernation. Now, what little time i've played around with Windows 7 i've never told it to hibernate (let alone know if it is even capable of entering hibernation after a short time of the system being idle), so i'm not really sure how it looks like when it wakes up, but this case is plausible.

Hi!@rob86You probably have the computer entering into suspend or hibernate power-saving mode. If you can disable suspend and sleep, the software should continue running. You might want to get a low-power processor for environmental concerns if you do plan on leaving the computer running all the time. I retired my old Intel Pentium 4 powered laptop in favor of an Intel Core Duo based laptop with upgraded memory to run a virtual machine to cut down on electricity consumption since it doesn't really have a very high level of resource utilization.I have not been buying desktops in a while since laptops are less of a burder on the environment due to reduced use of plastics and the reduced requirement of having to recycle the metals.@truefusionWindows 7 is fast, but it isn't *that* fast. Well, perhaps it is on special hardware. Lenovo has demonstrated some really quick start-up times (probably as little as three seconds) on its hardware, but on standard hardware, the wake-up from hibernation takes just as long as Windows XP does.