xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Windows 7 Hits 10% Market Share

In other related Microsoft news, it would seem that Windows 7 has made a big dent into the PC by hitting the 10% installation, give or take. I would say that definitely huge in the OS market but the question is are people using it, or are people trying it out and then dumping it and going back to another OS. Well this nice little graph does offer an interesting breakdown of the OS market and so one does speculate that Windows 7 use will wipe out Vista market before making a dent in the XP market.

As to how long that will take, who knows, but with XP support ending in 2014, give or take month or two, odds are you such a huge drift from XP to current generation of operating systems. You notice I didn't say Windows 7 because who knows what Microsoft is thinking when it comes to building an operating system, however, if Microsoft is smart, which they are not, They XP treatment Windows 7 for a very long time until there is just a handful of XP users.

XP users let's be honest, this operating system is well beyond its years, the computer hardware on the market today is well beyond XP capabilities and if I am looking at this correctly 32-bit operating systems are being cut off and being replace with the 64-bit. Also, last I heard 128-bit hardware is in the works and so XP should be well useless on that hardware when it goes live in the near future.

I have to admit though I was an XP user for a very long time, I have Vista running on another computer and my laptop replacement is running Windows 7. Personally I make the switch now tp Windows 7 and enjoy the benefits of a better operating system.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2010/

I guess I am gonna adopt the wait and see stance when it comes to upgrading of windows product. As it their tradition, a launch of a new product is typically followed by news of a serious flaw in it which put the users confidentiality in jeopardy.

I guess I am gonna adopt the wait and see stance when it comes to upgrading of windows product. As it their tradition, a launch of a new product is typically followed by news of a serious flaw in it which put the users confidentiality in jeopardy.

oh yea....i always use the wait and see strategy. i'm not one that needs the newest and latest if things are working fine for me. not only do i save time by not upgrading all the time, but i save money as well and if the upgrade has bugs, then all the better to wait it out. i know windows xp is almost outdated, but i wish i still had a copy so i didn't have to use vista that came with this laptop.

it's funny looking at the market share for operating systems and seeing windows me on there. my dad had that installed when he bought his dell computer 10 years ago and that had to be the absolute worst windows operating system of it's day. two years ago, he had a tech come out and he put windows 2000 on there when xp would have been the perfect choice especially when the xp upgrade came through the mail FREE when he originally bought his computer.

he's happy with his crappy os and his outdated computer that is slow and with less than 1 gig ram because he doesn't know any better. he's retired but still gets a very wealthy retirement income and could easily upgrade or buy a brand spanking new computer for half the price he originally paid for his dell with a faster processor and 4 gigs of ram.

Some product force people to upgrade to new operating system usually. Most of the commercial product start to support recent operating system to avoid spending on deploying on older operating system. This is obvious as most of the time there is more money involved than the upgrade done by members. So if members make any upgrade then that becomes easy for software company to support or update any buggy product. But deploying for old operating system and then supporting it is more costly. Windows 7 is taking on market share rapidly. I'm not sure how much commercial software released for linux (or even ubuntu) so i can say that to some extent Microsoft gained the market after recession. Two important upgrade people will do once they move to windows 7 is :1. NTFS File system2. Hardware upgradeMany XP users are still using FAT32 file system. But from windows 7 and onwards there will be only NTFS or another modern file system. Same goes with hardware, many of us need to upgrade hardware. Pentium 4 systems will no longer enough as you'll not get hardware that supports older motherboards. So this transition from XP to Windows 7 and unless it is triggered by software manufacturers makes it unnecessary to switch.

Almost 90% of computer users are using pirate version of all Windows versions, even i do. ;)

i don't think your statistics are correct there. most windows versions come with the computer you bought which is 100% legal. upgrading is a different story but i don't know why you are so quick to brag that you are a crook

I'm using Windows XP because I wouldn't be able to run win7 or Vista, even though there's a sticker on my computer that says it's compatible with Vista, there would be a major slowdown because I only have 512MB of RAM which is the minimum for Windows XP, I am happy with XP but if I could I would upgrade to win7, but not windows Vista... the reason win7 is rising so fast is because of all the bugs and problems Windows Vista dished out Vista users are upgrading.

I think Vista users should get a free upgrade to win7.

@mahesh2k, only the really old versions of XP uses FAT32, I got my computer in 2006 and it has Windows XP Media Center Edition and it uses NTFS

Almost 90% of computer users are using pirate version of all Windows versions, even i do. ;)

i don't think your statistics are correct there. most windows versions come with the computer you bought which is 100% legal. upgrading is a different story but i don't know why you are so quick to brag that you are a crook

Crook? :P

*hint* *hint*

Edited by Soviet Rathe (see edit history)

Windows runs basically on media and market hype. So, is the Windows 7 itself. I personally feel that Ubuntu 9.10 is much better that Windows 7. See the followings:-1. You need a modern configuration computer to run Windows 7 whereas Ubuntu 9.10 can be run in a 256MB Memory Computer.2. Its features are mostly as same of the Windows 7...

Oh you bet, I agree completely! It seems every new operating system developes a serious flaw or 2 (or maybe even 3) shortly after release. Wait and see works really good for me too.
But 10% already sure seems fast, do you suppose it was due to the many people who hated Vista? I really didn't like XP when it came out. I actually started on computers back in the day of windows 95. I actually like 98 the best so far of all of the 3 I've had so far.

i am still using windows xp because t is really compatible with a lot of programs. i also have windows vista that comes with my laptop but i never use it before, i am happy with my windows xp but i think eventually i should upgrade to windows 7 but i prefer to wait for a while until micrsoft will fix all bugs.

@mahesh2k, only the really old versions of XP uses FAT32, I got my computer in 2006 and it has Windows XP Media Center Edition and it uses NTFS

Agree most of the machines sold in 2006 onwards have NTFS file system. But some people still use FAT32. I'm sure once we upgrade to windows 7, we'll never even hear a word about this file system for sure.